“Very poor quality of hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Scottish Inn

Save Saved
You added Scottish Inn to your Saves list
Scottish Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   928 Ferry Road, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550 (Formerly Red Carpet Inn)   |
Ranked #19 of 49 hotels in Galveston
San Antonio, Texas
“Very poor quality of hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I booked this hotel and paid a premium price for a one night stay. I was very disappointed with the room. The air conditioner and small refrigerator were very loud, the bathroom fan was so loud you could not hear someone talk standing next to you. The paint was pealing off the celling. When you turned on the water it came out all rusty. The tile had black spots all over in the grout.
The beds were very hard, it was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood.

When I checked out they could not provide an itemized receipt but only the credit card charge receipt.

I tried to talk to the owner and he would not consider a discount on the charge when I explained the problems with the room.

Staff treated me like I was the one trying to rip them off. This was a very poor experience and I would strongly suggest you look somewhere else for your room.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hello Carl,
Thank you for staying with us, If I remember rightly you checked in at about 3.30 pm and checked out at close to 10.00am next day that's 18 hour's. You came in for a copy of a receipt but my printer was not working, I was at Office Depot buying a new one when my wife called to talk withyou I have a receipt (there printer was working) . I asked if you had an e-mail, Fax number I will forward it to you, you replied NO. Then you want a refund, it’s like eating a full meal at a restaurant and telling them you’re not paying for it because you did not like it. I am sorry but had you asked to see the room I would have gladly showed it to you. My rates are very reasonable and It's a buget motel . There are a lot of quality motel with quality price on the island. Again Thank You for staying I try my best.

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I'll be honest I did not want to stay at this hotel but was going to do so for "political" reasons. Booked hotel with a friendly receptionist "the niece" quoted a price above the group rate but thought ok it will work out even though she spoke with Sam "the owner and the contact person for the group reservations". I explained our needs of early check in and late check out times as well as we would be traveling possible with a small dog(2 lbs).

We called once we were nearing the hotel as asked to do and confirmed early check in and room availability. Check in process by Sam upon arrival. He apologized for the rate issue and admitted he'd forgot what he had quoted. No big deal. The niece had written all my info on a small piece of paper including my card number. 25 mins to check in and after getting extra room key cards Sam asked about my dog. When I said yes he was with us he said you can't stay here and proceeded to void the credit card sale. I offered to kennel my dog with a vet as we were in a hurry and needed to get ready for an engagement within the hour. He refused. As of today I have been charged twice for this room without a refund or void as promised.

Overall poor customer service.

Hotel is dated and looked like a no frills type of place. However friends stayed and a couple said it wasn't bad and clean rooms but the majority of the group staying reported issues with cleanliness and service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hello Alex
I am sorry,but I have a no pet policy.
As for the charge I voided your sale you have a recipt to the fact,If you don't I will forward one to you so as you can have the bank put the money back in your acoount.Please If you read this contact me so the issue can be put to rest.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times. I read some reviews the first time I was looking for a hotel in Galveston and there were a few negative ones about this facility, but I'm glad I didn't listen to those. The rooms are clean, not a lot of frills, but you have all the necessities. It's close to the ferry and the staff is very accommodating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank You again Missi,It's review's like this that want me to even more. Hope you had a great cruise.
Lawton, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

After reading the reviews, I booked this hotel based on comments about the excellent customer service by Sam & his family. We stayed one night during spring break,before leaving the next day for a Princess cruise. While the hotel is a little older, it was clean, well maintained, and quiet. My husband checked us in and was so impressed with Sam. The next morning we had a nice continental breakfast before leaving. We parked our car in front of the hotel office (no charge) so the staff could personally keep an eye on it while we were gone. We had intended to arrive at the port at 1:00 pm to board the ship. At Sam's suggestion we left at 10:00 am and were among the first 30 people to board the ship and avoided standing in long lines. What a nice perk that was. When we returned, there were no taxi cabs available. We called Sam and he sent his brother to pick us up. We have stayed at numerous high end hotels but have never received any better customer service than what we received at the Red Carpet Inn. Next time we visit Galveston, we will stay there again. Rhonda & Nick

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You very much for your very kind word's,we were happy to help out as much as we can.I wish I could please all the people. Again thank you from our family.
Kilgore, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our second time to stay here, and we will ALWAYS come back here when we visit Galveston. The rooms are so clean and cozy. They do excellent keeping up with cleaning. And I loved how they tucked my son's big bear in :) Sam and his wife are super sweet, welcoming, and do their best to make you feel at home. Plus, it is in a more quiet area and not full of the Spring Break party people. I can't wait to get back!

Room Tip: We got to stay on the top level this time at the end of the hotel. Woke up one morning and ventured...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
redcarpetgalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thanks Kat, you and your family are wounderful.You guy's are like family. Tell the children I said Hi.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Owners are doing the minimum to have this hotel open. Problem is it really should be closed. He seemed nice, but the hotel was dirty and everything about it was bad. I had a hard time making my family stay. Will be curious to see how long this review stays up and most of these reviews HAVE to be submitted by relatives of theirs. ** see pictures

Details:
Extremely hard mattresses. I mean painful.
Filthy headboards.
2 flat pillows with only a sheet (brought a blanket when I asked for one).
Breakfast was toast, "fresh" fruit that looked like it had sat there for weeks.
Frozen microwave yourself sausage muffin or frozen waffles.
Rusty light fixtures.
Parts of light fixtures missing.
Light fixtures not working.
Exposed power cords.
Hole in the wall where we could see daylight.
Strange curtain on window hanging from a broken tension rod.
Dirty tub and sink with mold.
Water damage in bathroom ceiling and over window.
Carpet shredding and dirty.
Part of light fixtures missing.
Pedestal sink, so no where to put toiletries but on top of toilet - yuk.
No alarm clock.
Shredding stained towels.
Spring break, but only one table with no chairs by the pool.
Rooms looked and felt dirty.
Even my kids were grossed out which says something.
**See pictures

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I am sorry you found my motel not to your liking. You could have checked out but stayed anyway.
Hopefully you will find a motel to your liking the next time you visit Galveston. As for the other reviews, they are part of our family as you were for those particular day's you stayed with us. I do NOT BUY REVIEWS. Those reviews are posted by individuals like you
Thank You Sam.
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I booked a reservation for a few days during spring break not noticing that there is an age issue for my party to check in. I called and spoke with the owner, a very nice man, told him our situation and he was very understanding! We aren't a group of partiers, we're just trying to get some sun at the beach and I'm glad he didn't cancel our reservation. Only thing is Expedia needs to be updated with their Red Carpet Inn details, other than that should be good to go!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your review Kareena,hope your plans went well.
My wife and I hope to see you in summer.

Been to Scottish Inn? Share your experiences!