“Back Again, Loved It Again!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Back Again, Loved It Again!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We recently took a 3 day getaway to Galveston Island. We stayed in the Candlewood Suites for the second time & were very happy, AGAIN!

The room was great, (having a full size refrigerator, two burner stove-top, & microwave is great for us! We cooked breakfast & lunch in the room to save money!!), the pool was great, (the hot tub wasn't working though!), the staff were great!!!

There is a grill & seating area that is available for hotel guests, (we didn't use it, but we checked it out), a "country cupboard" , (that has snacks & food for people to get for their rooms), & a computer room/wi-fi area down by the front desk.

They also have DVD's & video games for you to borrow &, (what I think), was coolest of all, there are two machines in the pool area that allow handicap patrons to use the pool & hot tub. To me this is awesome!!! I work at a Research & Rehab hospital in Houston & seeing these machines that allow disabled patrons to have access to the pool area is fantastic!

The location of this hotel is fine with no problem getting around, (I've read some reviews that say it's "way out of the way", which is untrue). You are a 10 minute drive down Broadway to The Seawall at Stewart Beach. Halfway down the Broadway drive, you turn left to get to The Strand, (10 minutes from hotel). And if you go up 61st Street, (5 minutes from hotel), you hit the Seawall further down, so you can work your way back down the Seawall to Pleasure Pier, The Convention Center, etc.

Overall, we were very happy, (Again!), & will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Location:
The hotel is less than 2 miles from the main beach and the nightlife in town, but I have to say for 5,000 points per night during the Priority Club Points Break promotion, it was more than perfect and we were really happy to have been able to stay here.

The room:
The room was pretty good and had the normal extended stay amenities, like a two-stove top, dishwasher, kitchen utensils, a microwave and a large fridge, plus all necessary kitchen utensils, plates, etc. There is a Target right next door, so you can definitely save some money doing grocery shopping and cooking a few meals in the room. The only sort of problem we had with the room was with the A/C, which each time it was running, the room seem to get awfully cold in a hurry, so we had to tweak it constantly until we found a decent enough balance to keep the room comfortable.
This is an extended-stay hotel, so housekeeping does the rooms weekly for those staying longer than a week. If you need anything such as fresh towels, toiletries, etc., the hotel staff is happy to provide them for you.

The Incident:
There was a large family checking in early Sunday morning at around 2:00 a.m., and they did not seem to understand the concept of silence at night, and their kids kept running and screaming up and down the hallway for about 90 minutes after 2:00 a.m. The family had rented two or three rooms, and they were actually yelling to each other from across the hallway at the wee hours of the night. We had to call the hotel twice and the front desk night clerk seemed somewhat oblivious to what was going on, and sounded more annoyed about us calling her with the problem than with the actual problem itself. Either way, we met the hotel's GM on the way out and mentioned the incident to him and he was very receptive and apologetic about the whole thing, so in the end this didn't change our opinion of the hotel itself.

Other amenities:
The hotel rate includes free parking and internet access. The rooms also have DirecTV including HBO. There is also an outdoor pool and hot tub, as well as a small fitness center/laundry room. There is also a small store with some beverages and snacks for a charge.

For the 5,000 points per night we used, you can't beat a better hotel, and would definitely go back in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms away from elevators to reduce foot traffic.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed there one night on a short trip to the Texas coast. The tone was more or less set by a sign that greeted us at the door when we checked in. It read (I'm paraphrasing, but this is close...) "Attention guests: For security reason [sic], we do not accept cash payment for accommodation. At all. For any reason." Okay, an odd way to make a first impression with your customers, but I'm paying with a credit card, so whatever...

We checked into our room, and it was pretty nice, except... Roaches! There were two huge roaches on the floor in front of the kitchenette. One was dead, the other was close. I scooped them up in a paper towel and threw their little roach corpses out, only to find two more on the floor by the bed. Before our stay was over, I'd find another one in the bathroom, and one more in the closet.

One other thing that bothered me a little was the workmanship of the room. It looks like this place was built by a contractor in a hurry. Paint lines weren't straight. Tiles weren't even. Outlets were crooked. Not BAD, just sloppy. If it were my house, I'd have made them try again.

There is no free breakfast at the hotel. I actually don't mind that - I knew it when I booked the room. They did have a pantry area which offered free coffee, and sold cold drinks, snacks, and even some frozen dinners at decent prices. It looked neglected by the staff, though. It badly needed to be restocked. There were none of the advertised breakfast items to be found anywhere.

Before I end this review, I should say something nice... The pool is impressive. Very, very nice for a budget hotel. Hot tub, palm trees, clean water. It was obviously well cared for. If only the pool guy was in charge of pest control...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear MookieB,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all issues you had during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hi there,

I stayed here before boarding a transatlantic cruise from Galveston, I found the hotel to be very clean and the staff very helpful. The rooms are well equipped and have in room wifi free, I managed to Facetime my family back home. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to large Target and other shops. I didn't get in the pool although again this looked all in great shape. I had a one bed suite and this was lots of room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Galveston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I never need service! The room has everything! I liked the room because they had a kitchen inside the rooms to make your own breakfast. They have a very clean bathroom. Their pool was exiting and fun! They have a beautiful and smooth waterfall near the perfectly warm hot tub. The pool was widened perfectly. I liked the pool most and nothing least.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Was in town for work and stayed here for thirty days. The management, front desk, and house keeping made me feel at home. There was a issue with a electric receptacle not working when I contacted the front desk they told me somebody would be there to fix it with in a short time it was fixed and working great.Will stay here again when I'm in town.

• Stayed May 2013
Seiling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and welcoming, the room was large and spacious with a comfortable bed and linens. I needed to print off a receipt and there was a computer and printer with easy access. I printed I off my document at no extra charge. They have a pantry stocked with with a variety of good things including a snacks and microwave meal. You purchase on the honor system. The location was only minutes from the Cruise Terminal. We had a good stay.

• Stayed May 2013