“Back Again, Loved It Again!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Back Again, Loved It Again!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We recently took a 3 day getaway to Galveston Island. We stayed in the Candlewood Suites for the second time & were very happy, AGAIN!

The room was great, (having a full size refrigerator, two burner stove-top, & microwave is great for us! We cooked breakfast & lunch in the room to save money!!), the pool was great, (the hot tub wasn't working though!), the staff were great!!!

There is a grill & seating area that is available for hotel guests, (we didn't use it, but we checked it out), a "country cupboard" , (that has snacks & food for people to get for their rooms), & a computer room/wi-fi area down by the front desk.

They also have DVD's & video games for you to borrow &, (what I think), was coolest of all, there are two machines in the pool area that allow handicap patrons to use the pool & hot tub. To me this is awesome!!! I work at a Research & Rehab hospital in Houston & seeing these machines that allow disabled patrons to have access to the pool area is fantastic!

The location of this hotel is fine with no problem getting around, (I've read some reviews that say it's "way out of the way", which is untrue). You are a 10 minute drive down Broadway to The Seawall at Stewart Beach. Halfway down the Broadway drive, you turn left to get to The Strand, (10 minutes from hotel). And if you go up 61st Street, (5 minutes from hotel), you hit the Seawall further down, so you can work your way back down the Seawall to Pleasure Pier, The Convention Center, etc.

Overall, we were very happy, (Again!), & will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Location:
The hotel is less than 2 miles from the main beach and the nightlife in town, but I have to say for 5,000 points per night during the Priority Club Points Break promotion, it was more than perfect and we were really happy to have been able to stay here.

The room:
The room was pretty good and had the normal extended stay amenities, like a two-stove top, dishwasher, kitchen utensils, a microwave and a large fridge, plus all necessary kitchen utensils, plates, etc. There is a Target right next door, so you can definitely save some money doing grocery shopping and cooking a few meals in the room. The only sort of problem we had with the room was with the A/C, which each time it was running, the room seem to get awfully cold in a hurry, so we had to tweak it constantly until we found a decent enough balance to keep the room comfortable.
This is an extended-stay hotel, so housekeeping does the rooms weekly for those staying longer than a week. If you need anything such as fresh towels, toiletries, etc., the hotel staff is happy to provide them for you.

The Incident:
There was a large family checking in early Sunday morning at around 2:00 a.m., and they did not seem to understand the concept of silence at night, and their kids kept running and screaming up and down the hallway for about 90 minutes after 2:00 a.m. The family had rented two or three rooms, and they were actually yelling to each other from across the hallway at the wee hours of the night. We had to call the hotel twice and the front desk night clerk seemed somewhat oblivious to what was going on, and sounded more annoyed about us calling her with the problem than with the actual problem itself. Either way, we met the hotel's GM on the way out and mentioned the incident to him and he was very receptive and apologetic about the whole thing, so in the end this didn't change our opinion of the hotel itself.

Other amenities:
The hotel rate includes free parking and internet access. The rooms also have DirecTV including HBO. There is also an outdoor pool and hot tub, as well as a small fitness center/laundry room. There is also a small store with some beverages and snacks for a charge.

For the 5,000 points per night we used, you can't beat a better hotel, and would definitely go back in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms away from elevators to reduce foot traffic.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed there one night on a short trip to the Texas coast. The tone was more or less set by a sign that greeted us at the door when we checked in. It read (I'm paraphrasing, but this is close...) "Attention guests: For security reason [sic], we do not accept cash payment for accommodation. At all. For any reason." Okay, an odd way to make a first impression with your customers, but I'm paying with a credit card, so whatever...

We checked into our room, and it was pretty nice, except... Roaches! There were two huge roaches on the floor in front of the kitchenette. One was dead, the other was close. I scooped them up in a paper towel and threw their little roach corpses out, only to find two more on the floor by the bed. Before our stay was over, I'd find another one in the bathroom, and one more in the closet.

One other thing that bothered me a little was the workmanship of the room. It looks like this place was built by a contractor in a hurry. Paint lines weren't straight. Tiles weren't even. Outlets were crooked. Not BAD, just sloppy. If it were my house, I'd have made them try again.

There is no free breakfast at the hotel. I actually don't mind that - I knew it when I booked the room. They did have a pantry area which offered free coffee, and sold cold drinks, snacks, and even some frozen dinners at decent prices. It looked neglected by the staff, though. It badly needed to be restocked. There were none of the advertised breakfast items to be found anywhere.

Before I end this review, I should say something nice... The pool is impressive. Very, very nice for a budget hotel. Hot tub, palm trees, clean water. It was obviously well cared for. If only the pool guy was in charge of pest control...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear MookieB,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all issues you had during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hi there,

I stayed here before boarding a transatlantic cruise from Galveston, I found the hotel to be very clean and the staff very helpful. The rooms are well equipped and have in room wifi free, I managed to Facetime my family back home. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to large Target and other shops. I didn't get in the pool although again this looked all in great shape. I had a one bed suite and this was lots of room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Galveston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I never need service! The room has everything! I liked the room because they had a kitchen inside the rooms to make your own breakfast. They have a very clean bathroom. Their pool was exiting and fun! They have a beautiful and smooth waterfall near the perfectly warm hot tub. The pool was widened perfectly. I liked the pool most and nothing least.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Was in town for work and stayed here for thirty days. The management, front desk, and house keeping made me feel at home. There was a issue with a electric receptacle not working when I contacted the front desk they told me somebody would be there to fix it with in a short time it was fixed and working great.Will stay here again when I'm in town.

• Stayed May 2013
Katy, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel for check in (5/25/13) the demeanor of the manager was not at all helpful. Going over the paperwork it was initial here, here, here and sign here and I was given the room keys and did not receive a copy of the paperwork that I was requested to signing. The next morning they did not have a complimentary breakfast that I am accustom to from IHG hotels. The worst part began when I returned late that night on 5/26 around 8 o'clock. My husband calls down and advised that they did not provide fresh towels so I left the pool area & immediately informed the front desk clerk who advised me that their policy was to only change out the the towels once a week and that I could bring the dirty towels to them to switch them out....I responded by requesting for the manager and letting them aware that I do not work there and that I will not do the job of housekeeping and to be paying 214.00 a night and have to clean up my room is insane. I've stayed in hotels from Florida to California and has NEVER had that type of service. The Manager proceeded to a show me that their policy is on the envelope that the room card, I refused to do their job & asked to be refunded for the night and the manager asked me to leave the property & acted as if he called the police, that after an hour of waiting for them they never showed. After patiently waiting for officers to arrive I decided to leave with my kids and I will dispute the charges with my credit card company. I would never recommend this hotel to the devil.

Room Tip: Book early at a location along the seawall, a motel 6 maybe better than candlewood suites!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
glscw, Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Firstly, the Registration Card that is signed upon check-in is for the use of the Front Desk and management staff. On it, had the information been scanned, one would see that the initials are to clarify that the room rate and duration of stay are correct, to accept the smoking policy, and to sign one-self into the hotel. It is not procedure for guests to receive the registration card; it is normal practice at all hotels, and upon departure the guest receives copy of billing folio. Secondly, the manager who was on duty at this time simply presented the IHG Brand Standard key jacket delivered to all Candlewood Suites hotels nationwide which clearly states the Extended Stay housekeeping policy, which is done weekly for guests staying more than seven nights; the key jacket further explains the procedure for exchanging dirty towels and linens for clean at the Front Desk. It is not OUR policy here at the hotel, it is the Brand Policy to which all Candlewood Suites hotels must adhere.
After this information was given, rather than accepting it pleasantly, you began cursing and using abusive language with both the manager and the girl on duty at the Front Desk. This display of foul language and offensive behavior is not permitted; regardless of the fact that we are in the service industry, no one deserves to be spoken to like that. It was at this time that the manager on duty informed you that you needed to vacate the premises, and that he was calling the police to have you evicted from the property should you continue to be abusive and refuse to exit. The police were called; we have an incident number. It merely took them over an hour to get through the Island's Memorial Day weekend traffic to get to the hotel. When they arrived, your room was called and the police and manager on duty spoke with the gentleman you had checked in with, who identified himself as your boyfriend, who apologized for what had happened, assured us you had left with your children, and begged us not to evict him for your behavior. We complied with this request, since he had not been the one abusing our staff.
In light of all this, it is more than fair that you not be refunded for your reservation; our cancellation policy is, to start, forty eight hours in advance from date of arrival. Secondly, you checked in and a member of your party had use of the room for the whole night's stay, whereas you were evicted from the premises for unacceptable, rude, abusive behavior. We are well within our rights to not issue a refund for this night's stay. The only apologies I have are for our other guests and our staff members that were subject to such uncouth antics; it is not in the norm for us to have such disruptions, and our excellent service has done nothing but please countless others to date.

Been to Candlewood Suites Galveston? Share your experiences!