“Roaches!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Roaches!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed there one night on a short trip to the Texas coast. The tone was more or less set by a sign that greeted us at the door when we checked in. It read (I'm paraphrasing, but this is close...) "Attention guests: For security reason [sic], we do not accept cash payment for accommodation. At all. For any reason." Okay, an odd way to make a first impression with your customers, but I'm paying with a credit card, so whatever...

We checked into our room, and it was pretty nice, except... Roaches! There were two huge roaches on the floor in front of the kitchenette. One was dead, the other was close. I scooped them up in a paper towel and threw their little roach corpses out, only to find two more on the floor by the bed. Before our stay was over, I'd find another one in the bathroom, and one more in the closet.

One other thing that bothered me a little was the workmanship of the room. It looks like this place was built by a contractor in a hurry. Paint lines weren't straight. Tiles weren't even. Outlets were crooked. Not BAD, just sloppy. If it were my house, I'd have made them try again.

There is no free breakfast at the hotel. I actually don't mind that - I knew it when I booked the room. They did have a pantry area which offered free coffee, and sold cold drinks, snacks, and even some frozen dinners at decent prices. It looked neglected by the staff, though. It badly needed to be restocked. There were none of the advertised breakfast items to be found anywhere.

Before I end this review, I should say something nice... The pool is impressive. Very, very nice for a budget hotel. Hot tub, palm trees, clean water. It was obviously well cared for. If only the pool guy was in charge of pest control...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear MookieB,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all issues you had during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hi there,

I stayed here before boarding a transatlantic cruise from Galveston, I found the hotel to be very clean and the staff very helpful. The rooms are well equipped and have in room wifi free, I managed to Facetime my family back home. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to large Target and other shops. I didn't get in the pool although again this looked all in great shape. I had a one bed suite and this was lots of room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Galveston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I never need service! The room has everything! I liked the room because they had a kitchen inside the rooms to make your own breakfast. They have a very clean bathroom. Their pool was exiting and fun! They have a beautiful and smooth waterfall near the perfectly warm hot tub. The pool was widened perfectly. I liked the pool most and nothing least.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Was in town for work and stayed here for thirty days. The management, front desk, and house keeping made me feel at home. There was a issue with a electric receptacle not working when I contacted the front desk they told me somebody would be there to fix it with in a short time it was fixed and working great.Will stay here again when I'm in town.

Seiling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and welcoming, the room was large and spacious with a comfortable bed and linens. I needed to print off a receipt and there was a computer and printer with easy access. I printed I off my document at no extra charge. They have a pantry stocked with with a variety of good things including a snacks and microwave meal. You purchase on the honor system. The location was only minutes from the Cruise Terminal. We had a good stay.

New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My room was on the backside of the property to get away from the noisy expressway (I-45). The trains started clanging into each other about 2:30 am. Then about 6:30 am someone upstairs started stomping around (it's a 3 story wooden construction property) and it was impossible to sleep. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Mike N,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincerest apology for the experience you had due to the outside noise and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had the best personal attention during our stay. The room was great- fridge, microwave, stove. The staff is great. Laundry is free. Convenient onsite "snack-shop". Great stay for our family traveling with an infant. Convenient to beach with super target across the street. Walgreen and Cvs down the street. Manager gave us great attention after we checked out of another hotel with bad service. He called to our room to ensure it was to our liking. This will be our hotel for every stay in Galveston. You will not be disappointed with this stay. Clean rooms, convenient, friendly and knowledgable staff.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Candlewood Suites Galveston? Share your experiences!