“Great escape!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great escape!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was so stressed out with my home conditions, with work and kids it"s alot to handle. So i decided to take a trip with a couple of friends of mine, we dicided to go to Galveston Island for the weekend. My friend was suppose to book the room but somehow slipped her mind. so we stoped at a hotel candel wood and they were nice enough to give us a room on such short notice. the staff was very nice and help full the young lady at the front desk (Rita) was from the island so she was very knowledgeable about the atractions there, she recomended lots of nice places to eat and a few spas, also some really nice night spots. The hotel was very clean and staff was great they only inconvenience was that the freezer was down, but luckly there was a target located right across the street. So it was not a big issue and thier store room still offered alot of other snacking items like ice cream! All in all my friends and I had a wonderful time and we will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are away from traffic noise, but the front rooms have the most sun coming in.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
alvin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is not near to the beach and thats the beauty about it, since they are not on the beach it dont smell moldy like hotels on the seawal do, rooms are nice clean and comfy, staff are nice and not like other hotels on the beach, though they dont give you house keeping everyday but if you want fresh towels or any other supplies just go to the front desk and they give you for free of charge, best part internet speed is way faster then any other hotels i have ever stayed, 32 inch flat screen t.v. with hundreds of varitey of chanels, overall this hotel is in good shape yet may be down the road they will change their attitude and make it run down kind of motel, since hotel is in nice and tidy condition everybody should take advantage to stay in clean rooms not with the hotel room with mold smell and bed bugs then again like hotels on the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Granbury, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel before our cruise out of Galveston. We have stayed at Candlewood Suites before and are used to the amenities offered. This hotel was no different. The room was clean and comfortable. I really like the bed linens! The Operations Manager, Akbar Ali Mukhida, was very accommodating to all of our needs. We would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Candlewood Suites Galveston for four nightsa week for past year and half.The hotel is exceptionally clean and comfortable. All of the employees were very courteous and helpful. The location is fabulous. I highly recommend it for anyone. The staff here is great. This is truly my home away from home. The equipment in the gym is top noch. The room is cozy and the bed feels like my bed at home. Anything you need is just a quick phone call to Ali. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.Also i see some people with their pets(though there is additional charge for that)

Room Tip: Second floor room #s 203, 205, 215
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

What started out as a 2 night stay before we got there was only one night. My daughter and her husband did stay two. The hotel is "off the beaten path", which there is nothing wrong with that. There are stores just a short ways from there that you could get things to cook and eat. The grounds are nice, we were told the hottub worked BEFORE we got there, only to vbe informed it WAS NOT working. They did however have an alternative for u to DRIVE to the Hampton to use their facility. What did bother me is I left a new pair of jeans and shirt in the closet, and 4 hours after I left I had my daughter go to the front desk to get them. They weren't there. Was informed that procedure is to bring said items and log them. My daughter inquired again the same day that evening. No. I called the hotel the next day, and the manager said it was NOT left, and he was sorry. My daughter left that very afternoon. At that point I decided someone else needed new Christmas clothes. So, being an IH member I recieved a survey and that was one of the things I was disturbed about. (Let me stop here and say I stay at between 100-150 days a year in hotels, and have left items only to be returned or sent to me) . THE SAME DAY, almost within two hours difference I got a call from the hotel that they "found" my clothes. How totally amazing. ONE bad thing......and it was discussed several times. If you want it back you either have to go back to the hotel and get them, or pay UPS or FEDEX to have them sent to you. So you decide, if the3y had followed policy, I would have had MY daughter bring them home to East Texas, but since they didn't I'm still pentalized for the return of my clothes.
This is the 1st and last time I will be staying at a Candlewood. It left me with a bad feeling.

Room Tip: Downstairs is best.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
glscw, Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I would once again like to express my sympathies and apologize for our misunderstanding in these matters we have discussed through e-mail. However, I would like to remind you that the reason the hot tub was off limits was not because it was broken, but because we are not allowed to permit guests to use the tub prior to recertification and reinspection of our boiler by the City of Galveston, whom we were still patiently waiting on to schedule that task per our request. Out of courtesy I located another hotel within less than five minutes driving distance that would allow our guests who were inconvenienced to partake in their amenities. I apologize if this remedy was not to your satisfaction, but the fault of the equipment in question not being available was out of the hotel's hands at that moment.
As discussed already about the items left behind in the room you were assigned, we treat all guests equally and according to certain brand rules. The hotel is not liable nor responsible for any lost, left-behind or stolen items, which is clearly stated on the Register Card all Guests must sign and initial to agree they understand the policies at time of check in. I admit and am deeply sorry for the fact that the housekeeper who cleaned your rooms made a grievous error in not remember to return the items she found to the Front Desk, rather leaving them in the closet instead. I expressed my sympathies when you contacted me on the phone, but also informed you that if the items had been left on property they would be located, and that I would immediately call and inform you when that happened. That is exactly what I did when the housekeeper who cleaned your room returned the day after Christmas and informed me of her error. She was repremanded via written and verbal warnings, but as the issue has escalated so her employment was terminated in an executive decision by our owner/Sales Director.
I continue to offer my apologies for that misunderstanding, but we are not given permission nor the means to ship your items back to you, which is stated in the disclaimer signed at check in releasing us from liability for items lost, stolen or left-behind on property. That is solely the responsibility of the guests.
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week with two large dogs. The room was great. nice and roomy with kitchenette. A big plus for an extended stay. There is a nice fitness facility here and free laundry. There is a small store on property that sells all the essentials. The location was very convenient, right off of 45. Big shopping center with a Target, right next door. The best experience I had was with the general manager. He was so very nice and went above and beyond to make sure that our stay was pleasant and problem free. I highly recommend this hotel. Great place to stay with animals. There is an additional fee but this was not a problem for us.

Room Tip: This is not a five star property. If you expect five star amenities, this is not it. I do give it an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Everything from checked in to checkout was handled with ease and professionalism - rooms clean, service great. We were on our way for a cruise and were late in getting reservations. The facilities we normally use were not available, so this was not the facility of first choice; however, we will most certainly return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Galveston? Share your experiences!