“Great Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston
“Great Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

My family and I went to Moody Gardens Hotel for a weekend away from Houston. I was pleasantly surprised, the room was very nice. Spacious, clean and bright and airy. We booked a Pyramid View, and were on the 4th floor. We had an excellent view of the Resort pool, which is beautiful, along with the Pyramids. Check in was a hassle, however, a new employee evidentially, not sure how to get us checked in and it took a few extra minutes. The complaints on the room were the bed was lumpy and squeaky when you got into it. The toilet did not flush well, which I noticed they are very green with reusing towels, etc., so toilet issue may be a conservation issue, but I still would rather have it flush properly. The pool had a very nice swim up bar, and at one end the pool is shallow, about 3.5 feet so my 2 and 4 year old were able to stand and have fun splashing around. Overall, I would recommend the hotel and would stay again.

• Liked — Location and Pool
  • Disliked — Beds and Rates
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Tulsa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

If you dont have kids, forget it. Romantic NOT! I flew in from Oklahoma for romantic weekend and thought I was at kiddieland convention. The view was weak, the amenities were sparse, and it just didnt have a WOW factor at all in the hotel. The lobby and check in area were blah, bar was nothing, and the room felt and looked like a $50 a night room. Yes, the grounds are nice, and the attractions are kool but I'd rather look over the ocean all day and drive a mile to attractions then actually stay on site. But hey, you cant please everybody and I was definately not pleased.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — now WOW factor inside hotel or rooms
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
dallas,texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

Hotel is beautiful, but for the money the rooms should be sound proof. Walls are too thin, could here commodes flushing and entertainment from the next room. Directions are not given fully to access anything.

• Liked — beautiful hotel
  • Disliked — staff unfriendliness and thin walls, room carpet not vacummed
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Friendswood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

My husband and I spent two nights here for our aniversary. While very convenient to Moody Garden's attractions and the new Schlitterbahn water park (both are across the parking lot) I am writing this review on the HOTEL only without taking in the concideration of the "convenience factor". The pictures on the web site misled me to believe that the hotel was larger and grander than it actually was. The pool, while nice, was not anything special and the lobby was much smaller than I thought it would be. There were alot of activities for children, such as make-your-own-s'mores, movies on the patio and a moon bounce, but we didn't need those services (for once!) Unfortunately, the downstairs lobby bar was overrun with children even at 10:00 at night. There is another lounge upstairs but unless you are dressed up (beyond "resort casual") you may feel out of place. The rooms, unfortunately, were pretty true to the pictures on the website. The furniture and decor look dated and could stand a make over. The bed linens were garish and uncomfortable. I did not feel like our bathroom had been cleaned very well but I was not completely grossed out. For a Saturday and Sunday night stay with a view of the parking lot and Schlittebahn we payed over $500.00 I thought we definately did NOT get our money's worth.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

My wife and I took our kids (12 and 15) to Moody on July 8-10 for a family vacation. We were booked for a "ocean view" in the main tower but my daughter is diabetic and I needed a fridge in the room to keep her insulin cool. They moved me to "pyramid view" in the North Tower with a fridge with no problem, very helpful. The rooms were nice and clean. Pool was excellent with VERY good poolside bar and wait service. Also had a small snack bar next to pool that stayed open until 10pm, excellent. Chicken Strip dinner with 4 large strips and ton of fries for $5, very good value and good tasting. Very convenient that everything can be charged to your room, no cash to carry around. Didn't spend any time at Palm Beach as it seemed geared more for younger kids, but seemed nice and was fairly crowded, we walked through to look. The pyramids were great, especially the Aquarium. 3D movies were neat but after you see one or two, aaahhhh, they kind of all end up the same. We got a two day pass with our room and could see all the movies we wanted, but two was enough. Schlitterbahn was RIGHT NEXT DOOR (walked from hotel) and it was great. We arrived at 9:30am (official open at 10:00am) and they let us in around 9:40am and rides were open. It was GREAT, we rode 7 slides in the first 45 minutes! By lunch it started getting crowded and by 2pm it was packed, we left having had our fill. Would HIGHLY recommend and will go again.

• Liked — Entertainment choices, Schlitterbahn, Aquarium, Rain Forest, etc...
  • Disliked — The beaches on Galveston Island are bad, but not this hotels fault
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bridge City, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

My husband and I took our grandchildren (ages 11, 5, and 4) to Moody Gardens Hotel July 6-8, and we had a blast! We decided to forego the upgraded room in the North Tower and stayed in an island view room with 2 queen beds. The only real differences appeared to be the view (North Tower faces the pyramids at Moody Gardens) and the lack of a mini-fridge. As it turns out, our grandkids were more thrilled with the "island" view from our room, which included Schlitterbahn. We had no real need for a fridge since we weren't in the room much and had brought a rolling cooler with us to take to Schlitterbahn anyway. The rooms were clean and simply decorated, and the air-conditioning worked extremely well (very important in the summertime Texas heat!)

The pool was fun and full of activity - a tad crowded, but it's summer vacation time and to be expected. There was a solarium-type pool, as well, but we never saw anyone using it. Great beverage service by the pool and also a small snack bar.

We had the buffet breakfast in the Terrace restaurant, and it was very enjoyable. We also treated the kiddos to room service one evening. The food was good and it was delivered fairly promptly.

There are lots of activities planned for kids every day (we had fun with Family Bingo night) and each child receives a backpack with goodies upon check in. The best part is, you just can't beat the location. The close proximity to Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn makes this the ideal place for a family to stay. We walked or took the shuttle to Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn and Palm Beach. The only time we got in our vehicle while we were there was to go to Landry's Seafood Restaurant to dine one evening (try the Lobster Bisque - yum!).

We had a great time with our grandkids at Moody Gardens Hotel and made lots of memories. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

My extended family of 22 stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, The service was great, poolside service was prompt, the Terrace was good but a little $$ for the buffet. The gym was fine, we went to Schlitterbahn twice and Palm Beach and the Imax. The rooms were clean and looked new, it was nice and quiet at night. No problems sleeping. The only complaint we had was that 3 of us had swedish massages at the spa and 2 out of three had horrible experiences. I always try something at every spa that I stay at all over the world and this is the first time I have had such a unpleasant experience..

Stayed July 2007

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!