“wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
austin
“wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

I had a hard time picking where to stay in Galveston. I have read how many hotels were run-down, but that is not the case with this hotel. From the moment we entered the lobby I was impressed. Our room was beautiful, we had 1 adult and 4 kids and used a rollaway. The pool was wonderful and my kids were able to use the hot tub. Schlitterbahn was across the street and we also went to moody gardens. The staff was very friendly. I will stay here again.

• Liked — very clean room and beautiful pool area and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

This hotel and its staff were wonderful during our stay. The pool scene was great for families with children and couples. I liked palm beach alot, especially since there was a "bacteria scare" at the actual beaches there, once you go to Palm Beach at Moody Gardens you won't even be able to go to the regular beach in Galveston. It is a man made beach, they had tons of Florida, white, sand barged in to make it and it is beautiful. The rooms were great, but stay in the north tower, we didn't stay there on our first trip, but did this year and there is a significant difference in the room. The hotel check in and housekeeping were great. The wait staff at the pool were also exceptional. I think this is the best hotel in Galveston, my son is five and he loved it. We will return again next year, this will be our standard summer vacation. Just a tip, but try the Baywatch dolphin tours on the strand behind Willie G's and the Harbor House hotel, its great and very affordable for a 45 minute cruise it was $10 for adults and $5 for kids. Loved it!!

• Liked — The staff and the pool, but above all PALM BEACH!
  • Disliked — I think that if you stay at the hotel, admission to the pyramids should be free, because the admission to Palm Beach is free if you stay there!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Mansfield Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Moody Gardens Hotel
Galveston Texas
May 2007

This is a great hotel for families. Palm beach and the heated pool were lots of fun for my 16 month old. The swim up bar is great!! My husband loved it. Front desk staff and pool attendants were friendly and courteous. The rooms are clean and spacious. We will return next summer.

• Liked — Palm Beach
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed here three weekday nights in April 2007 while he was attending a conference. We had a room on the eighth floor overlooking Schlitterbahn, which was closed weekdays at the time. There was definitely a feeling of "off season," which didn't bother us at all.

Checking in was quick and easy. We had other occasions to talk to the desk clerks and I thought they could have been a little more friendly.

I'll start with several things that I really appreciate about this hotel compared to other hotels we've stayed at for conferences. First, we drove our own vehicle and self-parking was easy, accessible, and FREE. We parked in the garage very near the elevators... it couldn't have been more convenient for a high-rise hotel. Next, the Internet access was fast and FREE. They supplied an ethernet cable right on the desk and power outlets were very handy. Other hotels in the same class we've stayed at have charged for both parking and Internet most of the time. (Phone calls were NOT free.)

The room: Nice and large and clean, big window, large spotless bathroom with plenty of counter space, a most comfortable king bed and work desk, pretty decor... overall very nice. I loved the pillows -- four king size on the bed (two apparently feather and two regular) plus an extra regular size in the closet. I also loved the bedding... sheet-blanket-sheet to sleep under (but my husband said it was too hot). Also in the room: extra blanket in closet, two waffle-weave robes, magnifying mirror in bathroom (but the hinge was loose so it wasn't really usable), lots of towels, rubber tub mat, iron & ironing board, nice hangers that come right off the bar like normal hangers, small refrigerator, hair dryer, armchair, two other chairs, desk with desklamp, coffee maker with coffee packets and teabags. There were two phone lines and three phones (bedside, desk and in the bathroom). There was plenty of storage space: drawers and shelves, two nightstands, two luggage holders, etc.

There was no adjustable desk chair like some other hotels have. The regular chairs were WAY too low for me to sit on while working on my computer so I pulled the armchair over to the desk and sat on the ARM, which was uncomfortable, but the perfect height for me.

Supplied: bath soap and hand soap bars, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath gel, cotton balls, Q-tips, eye makeup remover towelettes, shower cap, shoe mitten, mending kit, stationery, notepads & pens, and probably something I'm forgetting!

There were a couple of very small annoyances. The tissue in the bathroom came out of a little round "porthole" and every single tissue caught on the edge and tore in half even when the holder wasn't at all full. The door opening to the shelves in the entertainment center hit the TV doors when they were fully open so that you had to adjust the one TV door before you could open the shelf door. The toilet literally "groaned" when we flushed it and it was sometimes quite loud! I could occasionally hear the toilet in another room sounding the same way. I asked the housekeeper if that was normal but of course when SHE flushed it, it didn't make that horrible sound!

My personal preference is to have the sink & counter space outside the bathroom area so that two people can easily get ready at the same time and the mirror doesn't get all steamed up. This room, however, had a separate vanity with electrical outlets next to the closet area that worked very well.

The pool: We didn't use it but it looked very nice and was heated.

I don't know who arranged the luau event on the patio, but the few entertainers did the work of a whole troupe of people and it was a lot of fun. The bartender was quick and efficient. The food wasn't extensive, but was good.

The first night a woman knocked on the door and asked if we needed anything. We didn't until she mentioned chocolates! :-) Another night we were out for the evening and someone had come into the room to leave chocolates on the pillow. That actually makes me a bit uneasy because I'm not used to staff entering the room except for the expected daily housekeeping.

Grounds: There are some beautiful gardens with paths for walking, nice views of the water, etc. The beach area was closed and overall everything seemed pretty quiet at this time of the year. I wished we'd taken our bikes (the pedal kind).

Attractions: (I am including these here but will also write a separate review(s) for each.) Being conference attendees, we were provided day passes for the attractions. At the time we were there, these passes would have cost us $45 each if we'd paid for them. A day pass includes one admission to Imax 3D Theater, Aquarium Pyramid, Rainforest Pyramid, RideFilm, Discovery Museum, 4D Theater and Colonel Paddlewheel Day Cruise. We spent most of a whole day doing everything, even the motion ride (which I didn't think was that great compared to others I've been on and one of the motions rides was out of order).

Imax 3D Theater: We went to the "Deep Sea" 3D movie that was absolutely WONDERFUL except it was supposed to be 3D and obviously wasn't. When we asked about it later, we were told "oh yeah, one of the lights was out." I thought we should have been offered a replacement ticket so we could have enjoyed the movie the way it was meant to be enjoyed. The theater certainly wasn't crowded and it would have been a very nice PR gesture.

Aquarium: We had just been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California so we didn't expect much of this aquarium in comparison, but it was much more extensive than we expected and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rainforest: I enjoyed trying to find the wildlife hiding in this pyramid. It was also really beautiful and took longer to go through than we thought it would.

RideFilm: This was just average. They offered two different roller coaster films and one was out of order. I've been on better.

Discovery Museum: This would have been such fun but so many of the "experiments" didn't work that it was somewhat disappointing.

4D Theater: The extra dimension is rumbling, vibration, air, water, and scent. It's only eight minutes long and we enjoyed it.

Colonel Paddlewheel Day Cruise: It sounds like it lasts a long time but I think it was about 45 minutes. It was a beautiful day so it was a very nice relaxing boat ride.

We really enjoyed the attractions even though we had no kids with us. There were PLENTY of kids there, though -- big groups came in on school buses. They were mostly well-behaved, but we tried to work around them.

Some negatives: Some of the employees seemed clueless about some things. Some didn't have any answers and some gave us misinformation. We asked at an information desk about the scheduled times for the Paddlewheeler and were told that there were extra sailings for that day besides what was listed in the schedule. The young lady told us to go "right now" because it was loading. Since it's a bit of a trek, I asked if she could maybe call over there to see if they were indeed having an extra sailing, but she said we should just hurry on over there. We hurried over only to find it deserted. I think it was in the Rainforest Pyramid that a very personable young man told us that we could go up to the second floor to an observation area, but when we got up there, the whole floor was deserted and the observation area had a rope across it saying it was closed.

Overall, this was a GREAT hotel and complex and we really enjoyed it (and Galveston) a lot. I just think there are a few little things that could be better.

• Liked — Free easily accessible parking and Internet access, spacious room, beautiful surroundings
  • Disliked — Noisy toilet flushing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

We were at Moody Gardens for a triathlon in late March/early April. Unfortunately, the weather was uncooperative, so we spent a lot of time in the hotel during the trip. But, we enjoyed the hotel. The staff was friendly, our room was clean, the fitness center was big and had lots of machines, the sauna worked well, and the food at the restaurant was reasonably priced. We also had covered parking and when the sun finally came out, we enjoyed the pool. The one downside -- satellite TV, which isn't very helpful when it's stormy -- the one time that you want to be inside watching TV.

Stayed April 2007
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

We loved Moody Gardens. We had a friend with a beach house so had access to the beach. It is too chilly to swim in March so it was perfect to just go to the beach for a few hours to play. Then we could come back to the hotel for heated pool, hot tub and relaxation. We were very happy with the swim up bar, fun music, there were inflatable jumpers for the kids - plenty to do. We never got bored or had bad weather, but if we did, the rainforest, aquarium, IMAX and indoor schlitterbahn are right across the street. We will definitely go back. This hotel is very family friendly.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

I took my three granddaughters to Moody Gardens Hotel for the fourth consecutive year at spring break. The hotel caters to children at this time with an assortment of activities , although the heated outdoor pool is the star of the show for them. This year, we stayed in the north wing in a wonderful room with generous bath and refrigerator. Housekeeping checked on us twice a day to replenish towels, etc, whatever we needed, and always with a smile. While rooms in the north wing are exemplary, this wing is quite a trek from the main lobby and facilities. A full buffet breakfast is served downstairs ($9.95 adults, $5.95 children). Parking is enclosed and complimentary unless you use the valet. A shuttle for hotel guests can be requested to the Moody Garden complex, aquarium and rainforest. Best of all, management and staff go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and run as smoothly as possible. We will continue this tradition.

• Liked — Wonderful rooms and baths, most helpful staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!