“Great convention experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
The Woodlands, Texas
“Great convention experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Although I live just up the interstate in The Woodlands, this is the first time I have stayed in this hotel. I came for the Space City Con. I was relieved that they allowed me to check in early because I had a lot of stuff with me. The room was lovely and clean. The food at both Shearns and The Terrace was wonderful. Despite the numbers of people attending, the traffic between convention rooms and spaces flowed well. The public bathrooms were kept clean throughout the weekend. The staff were helpful and courteous. I would like to give special mention to Ashley on the wait staff at The Terrace and Gregory with valet/bell services. The only minor thing for me was that I had brought packets of hot chocolate thinking that it would be a regular coffeemaker that I could run hot water through, but it was one of the K-cup things and I didn't know how to run just water. There was 1 green tea and 3 coffee options, but if they have K-cups, a hot chocolate K-cup would be wonderful. I also had to make a trip to the local Walmart because I had forgotten ear plugs, something I cannot sleep without (which I had to try to sleep without the first night and got zero sleep--not because you could hear the sound, but just because I have been sleeping with them for 18 years now so I am accustomed to them). And I had a cold and had to go purchase some cold medicine because the gift shop did not have what I needed. Perhaps expanding some of the gift shop offerings would be helpful. I would definitely recommend staying here to anyone and hope to return in the future if I have to stay overnight in Galveston. I wasn't happy with the vending machine prices--$3.00 for a bottle of water. While I was at Walmart I just got a gallon of spring water for less as well.

Room Tip: My room on floor 8 was perfect (room 835). It was far enough from the elevators and was in the midd...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
orange, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

check in smooth the only problem was she told us we were beach side .. but all we saw was roof top yes we were facing the beach with no view on the other side was beautiful bay side with all the christmas lights .. the room was spectacular decorated beautiful clean and good size the employees was fantasic except the bad view it was a great place..

Room Tip: if u want a room with view dont get ocean side
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was there for the recent Space City Con and was very, very pleased with all but one aspect of my stay. The staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful and a couple went beyond the call of duty. The décor was very nice, the view was wonderful, the room was spacious, quiet and very comfortable and the food was good. I can't even get to drag out my own personal crusade because the paper supplies in the guest bathroom were top notch. Thanks!

The one thing that might have been an issue was that some packages I'd sent ahead got mislaid and it took some time to locate them. I'd specifically sent them to myself as a guest with no mention of the convention and yet somehow they ended up in the 'warehouse' for the convention center and weren't available when I checked in. In fact, it was only because they weren't in the bellman's closet or in the convention office or at my con table was that conclusion reached. A wonderful woman in the convention office (whose name I can't remember) was working both the night I checked in and early the next morning and she found my packages and brought them to my table personally. I really appreciate her diligence but a proper logging system would have been much better. My name and arrival date were on all of the packages yet there didn't seem to be a notation in my reservation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Harker Heights, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had heard about Moody Gardens and the Festival of Lights so we decided to see it for ourselves.
We went to Moody Gardens Dec 29th-31st to experience the Festival of Lights, ice skating and all of the special "pyramids" that they had to offer over the holiday break. We did buy a Living Social deal for two nights with two ticket entries to all of the events so that was a nice deal. We did have to purchase two more since we were a family of four. The hotel was very nice and decorated for the holiday. At the front desk I explained to the girl that this was our first time here and she gave us a pyramid view so that we could see all of the lights (our special was for a bay view). She also gave us a newly renovated room. The room was nice. The beds were very comfortable. I like that they have a hair dryer not attached to the wall! I guess they trust the guests which is nice! I called down one evening for extra towels and within 10 mins they were at our room and the gentleman that brought them, even brought more then I requested and a smile! Then the phone rang to make sure we got them and all was well. We got lost once also and a kind older security woman walked us to where we needed to go.
They have a heated outdoor and indoor (lap) pool. I actually saw people swimming in the outdoor pool in 35 deg weather! Brrrrrrr. We did eat at The Gardens one evening, they had a buffet. Typical pricing for one. What was nice-my husband noticed that nothing was fried! It was not a extremely large buffet and had spaghetti and mac/cheese for kids if they didn't eat the grown up stuff.
The hotel is close to a Walmart and IHop if you choose to go other ways for food. There is no microwave in the room but a small refrigerator and Keurig for coffee in the morning.
The walk through lights were very nice, though very few had motion. My oldest could not wait to ice skate! It was also real ice, not a fake rink like my town does for the holiday(we live in TX). We saw Imax and 4D and a motion movie too. The Rainforest pyramid was beautifully done, you actually would feel like you were in one. The Aquarium was very nice as well. They had baby penguins which we all loved to see. I thought that both were very nicely done and overall not too much or too little. The Discovery pyramid on the other hand, well my husband said "it felt as if it was thrown together in a weekend". It truly is a pyramid of noise! LOL Hands on with all kinds of musical instruments and other items that make a lot of noise....when it is all in a small area, it is extremely loud. We didn't stay to long but younger kids love the hands on!
Overall for a two day trip, I thought this was a nice time frame to see and do what we wanted. We could definitely see it all in the two days. The hotel was well done, and the employees that we encountered were friendly and helpful.
The hotel is right on the bay but a short drive to the beach area. They are also within walking distance to the Schlitterbahn, which is indoor and out I believe. I did see people going in and this is the end of Dec! The hotel offers valet parking for $18 a day. I believe they have a do it yourself parking as well, (valet was included in our deal).
The hotel is quite large, well maintained and well staffed. We had a very nice time and enjoyed our room (when we were in it) LOL.

Room Tip: We were in 513 and facing the pyramids and Festival of Lights. I thought it was very quiet as well...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Georgetown, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

To celebrate Christmas this year we booked the Couples Package which included the room for 2 nights, Festival of Lights, Dinner & Magic Show. It was a pleasant get away for us! Our room was clean, comfortable & quiet (stayed on top floor), the hotel & grounds were meticulously decorated, and the Festival of Lights is the best we've seen anywhere. If you want to think outside the box, then give MG it a try for the holiday season. Be sure to clarify when you're to receive your package tickets. We were told to pick ours up the 2nd day, which meant we didn't have festival tickets for our 1st night. Front desk was polite yet didn't know how to resolve, but thankfully the mgr on duty gave us complimentary tickets to the festival. The dinner & show was a special event for kids young & old. I wish MG had assigned seating for the event. Everyone at our table was subjected to the antics of an angry woman who couldn't sit with her family member at the adjacent table. We can only hope Santa left a lump of coal in her stocking. Cheers!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family visited the Galveston island for the Thanksgiving break. We tried the Festival of lights for two days and stayed one night here.

This hotel was nice and the room we stayed (2Q) was spacious, quiet, and had a nice view. Every corridor has nice pictures and the general decoration of the building is nice.

We didn't have time to try, but it has indoor pool and lots of people were using it. It is closely located to the moody gardens, and you could just park your car in the parking lot between the hotel and the moody gardens and enjoy the attractions.

It was not exactly immaculate room/hotel, but it was very nice and we would love to stay another night.

Room Tip: During the Festival of lights, this hotel usually has a promotion through their website. If you are...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Pineville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We visited the weekend of January 3-5th and stayed in the North Tower Rm 456. The rooms are nicely appointed with plenty of room to spread out. We found the entire facility to be splendidly clean. The area is very family friendly but doesn't have the theme park feeling. It is so well arranged that you solo business travelers are just as comfortable as your family visitors. Heated, huge outdoor pool was a huge hit! There is a playground, bouncy house and tons of things to see and do. You will not regret your stay at this fine facility. My only - ONLY thing I missed was having a microwave in my room. With children it would be nice to be able to heat up leftover meal or a quick snack. Overall, our family of 5 had a magnificent weekend. Despite hotel being very busy with Space City Con the room was very quiet. I cannot wait to come back again!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!