“great place for a family trip” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Motel   |   7 Hope Blvd., Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77554   |
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Galveston, Texas
“great place for a family trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a great place to learn about nature, especially when you are going with your kids. My little boy was so excited and curious about the animals, insects and plants in the pyramid. We had a great time there.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear wenzhe,

I am pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens. Please keep us in mind for the holidays when Moody Gardens is transformed into a winter wonderland with our annual Festival of Lights. Thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming your family back soon.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Beautiful property, wonderful facilities, lovely rooms, good food, absolutely great staff, enjoyable attractions and an overall fabulous experience. We especially enjoyed the paddle boat ride and visiting thr aquarium. Sharks, penguins, and other species were very interesting to watch. We took in an IMAX 4D movie, a very short version, of the Wizard of Ozz and we thought the animals were coming right in our laps--very interestig. Everyone in the audience was ducking from "flying objects" as we watched. The staff at the Hotel made the trip even more enjoyable' especially Quinton, Scott and Ossana. It was helpful to have golf carts standing by to assist with the walking. We enjoyed our time in the lobby bar before dinner, and our waitress was very good and friendly. I am sorry I do not know her name. I will recommend Moody Gardens to everyone.

Room Tip: all the rooms are lovely. Try to get a gulf view
Dear Bettie L,

Thank you for staying at Moody Gardens and sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and found our staff extremely helpful and friendly. It is exciting to hear that you enjoyed our Rainforest, Aquarium and Discovery Pyramids as well as our IMAX 4-D movies. For a fun, memorable holiday event, please come visit us between November 16 and January 4, and experience how our annual Festival of Lights transforms Moody Gardens into a winter wonderland. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cleveland, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I took the granddaughters for a girls weekend here. They are per-school and 4th graders. We all had a great time and they are still talking about it and asking me when we are going back.

We did all of the attractions. Palm beach, the aquarium, both theaters, the museum, the arboretum and loved it all. We had breakfast buffet at the restaurant each morning and fast food lunch at the attractions. I had plans to see other sites on Galveston island but never made it off of the Moody gardens property and was fine with that. Made some great memories with the granddaughters.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cookie548,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Moody Gardens for a girls’ weekend with your granddaughters and sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read you found the accommodations nice and that you enjoyed the Moody Gardens attractions. It is always our intention to exceed guests’ expectations while here at the hotel and I was very pleased your stay was everything you would expect and more. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Lovely, well-organized hotel - great staff, good spaces, great for meetings. Close to nothing other than theme park out the back door. Not close to interesting older parts of Galveston. Rooms and decor really nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear James P,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that Moody Gardens and our staff were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed at Moody Gardens with my wife on a get-away sports weekend. Our room had furniture that was quite grimy with very visible scuffing and marks. Furniture was dated. TV did not work. Bathroom fixtures not properly marked for hot/cold water. AC thermostat did not work. You had to have it set at 50 degrees to stay cool. Which I suspect is why the hotel had very heavy duvets on the bed. I woke up dripping in sweat because the AC would not keep the room cool at 70F setting.

Room Tip: Specify a newer updated room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear brad m,

Thank you for bringing to my attention the circumstances regarding your stay with us. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. We do take all comments serious and it was disturbing to read we did not perform up to your expectations and ours. I can see how these incidents impacted your visit; Moody Gardens Hotel is currently undergoing renovations. The décor is being updated throughout the entire hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence and leave a better lasting impression. If I can be of assistance in the future please contact me.

We hope to welcome you back so you can experience the new rooms and let us provide you with the excellent hospitality we are known for. I know by giving us a second chance we will be able to exceed your expectations.

Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Moody Gardens is beautiful. It has a lot to do on site, a good location and good amenities. But I recently tried to book my son's honeymoon there and they were horrible to deal with to get a reservation. I first called in late July and they wouldn't let me book a honeymoon package cause the rates weren't out for November when I wanted to book the trip. Then they said that they would call me when the new rates were out....but no call. I had to call back in late September and I couldn't put it on my credit card I had to do fill out paperwork fax documents and field phone calls. They were very difficult to work with. Pleasant enough just not customer friendly. I wanted to gift my son and his new bride a honeymoon and since my son was only able to take 5 days they wanted to stay close and go to Galveston. I hope me trying to plan something nice for them doesn't turn out to be terrible due to Moody Garden's difficulty to deal with....we will see.....I will update later!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear zimroo ,

Thank you for your very helpful feedback. I can see how the reservation process as you described left a poor impression and, on behalf of all of us, please accept my most sincere apologies. The delay in getting rates out was my fault and we have our current rates updated through August of 2014. I investigated the comments you made regarding the difficulty with the paperwork necessary with paying for your son’s stay. I looked at the policy again and checked with several hotels and resorts in our region. They all have the same requirements for a third party paying for a hotel stay for another guest. It is a precaution necessitated due to the large number of after-departure disputes with these type of transactions. We are, however looking forward to your son’s honeymoon visit to Moody Gardens and we will make sure he and his fiancée are well taken care of. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any special service to them and personally welcome them to Moody Gardens.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wow. What a beautiful property. My room was so up to date and comfortable. I was there for ChemInnovations trade show, but would return on vacation. Staff was very nice and property was well tended. I look forward to returning!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dan B,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your newly renovated room and found it to be comfortable. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Garvin O'Neil

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!