“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Houston
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We just got back from a 3 night stay at Moody Gardens Hotel and we loved it. The service was excellent. We haven't been there in 3 years, and the rooms have been beautifully redecorated. The beds are comfy, and the bathroom is roomy. We have two 2 1/2 year olds and a 4 year old, and there is so much to do right on the property, they had loads of fun. We started out with riding the Colonel Paddlewheel and the Dino's Alive exhibit, moved on to Palm Beach and the Rainforest pyramid, then the aquarium pyramid, and a short trip up the seawall for a trip to the beach. Palm Beach has gone through extensive wonderful changes since we've been there last, and now has a lazy river where we spent most of our time. Breakfast buffet was delicious and free for the kids. This trip was everything we could have asked for. A very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am so glad to hear your family had plenty of time to visit all of our attractions and that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and that you found the breakfast at the Terrace delicious, as well as a good value. We hope to see you again soon! Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is where my husband stays when he attends Shriners Hospital for Children meetings. This was my first time there. Clean rooms, attentive staff. Kim, our bartender at the lobby bar was very nice and helpful in suggesting places to eat. Breakfast buffet was good too. Had some friends there with their grandson, so we spent the day at their Palm Beach. Had a great time and will take my grandkids there next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Moody Gardens and Palm Beach. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I have shared them with all of our associates. We have many fun activities this summer so please keep us in mind for a return trip with the grandkids! We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and two girls (8 and 12) were looking for a road trip to the coast (as we call it here in Texas) but to some place that wasn't so beach, so sandy, hot and well (if you've seen most Texas beaches), so gross. We wanted a water park close by, great pool with a bar, spa, on-site food and located away from the beach crowd.

This place was the answer to all our wishes!

Check-in was a snap where we were issued our passes to Moody's Palm Beach (a mini-beach/pool/slide area with a live band and concessions). It was nice but crowded with locals who pay like $10 to get in.

The room was immaculate, cold (as in killer a/c) and the beds were so comfy. The kids of course had to turn on the TV and low and behold, an HDTV that actually was fed an HD signal. Rooms were great and each day refurbished by an attentive cleaning staff.

The main pool has a nice bar on one end with HDTV and we watched both the NHL and NBA finals on alternating nights while sipping on cool drinks. The kids made friends (as in there were kids of all ages) and they also checked out the karaoke in an outdoor stage area adjacent to the pool. There's a ice cream parlor hidden near the pool adjacent to the indoor lap pool serving Texas'finest Blue Bell ice cream. KIDS LOVED IT!

Each morning we had breakfast buffet in the dinning room with a good selection of fruits, pastries, hot and cold standards, eggs, had browns biscuits and gravy, french toast, oatmeal (seriously good oatmeal) and grits, meats, juices galore, good, consistent, convenient and just right without having to haul the family in the car to who knows where each morning. We had some lunch and dinner items too and all were great value for the price and convenience.

Schliiterbahn, (ranked one of the top waterparks on the travel type channels) is located across the street approximately 150 yards walking to the entrance. A separate review in itself, in short, it's a wonderful, "hottest coolest time in Texas: as their slogan goes. (we went two days which is enough!)

The hotel is about 40 minutes from NASA, and we went there and back for some seafood in town with plenty of time to hang at the pool all evening.

Everything was just wonderful, no hitches, irritations and everyone, including fellow customers were so friendly, unpretentious, comfortable, (but then my wife suspects that's because we're in Texas with mostly Texas/Louisiana clientele. No offense, just sayin')

And by the way, there's a cool (as in not out in the Texas heat) parking lot under Hotel too so your car can stay in the shade.

There's one thing they need to improve and that's internet wireless coverage. It was very weak and spotty throughout with exception of the lobby and convention area. It wasn't a detraction for us as we were on vacation and being unplugged isn't all that bad.

We're going back for sure! Absolutely looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Get the Moody Gardens Pyramid view. You'll have a good view of the beautiful Hotel grounds, the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for the comments regarding your stay. I am pleased to hear that you and your family found Moody Gardens to be ideal for your Texas road trip. The Terrace Restaurant’s relaxing atmosphere, menu and kids eat free special, make it a guest favorite. Your feedback is appreciated and I have passed it on to our entire staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for one night vacation from Houston. It's a bit pricey but we thought we just gave the hotel a try since we planned toa pend our days in moody gardens. The room is nicely decorated in greeen and turqois hues. The room seevice is pretty fast eventhough the food is average. Moody gardens and palm beach are in walking distance. Beach is only a short trip a way. The pool is awesome. Major regrets is I don't have time to try the spa.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. Palm Beach is a guest favorite, guests enjoy basking in the sun on Galveston's only white sand beach, complete with wave pool, lazy river, tower slides and splash pads. An added treat for our guests is that entrance to Palm Beach is included with your hotel stay. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back soon and that when you return, you have time enjoy our newly renovated spa. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I took my 2 young children down to Galveston for a mini vacation close to home. I've never been to Moody Gardens and was pleasantly surprised! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick and easy. In addition, she gave each of my children adorable drawstring sportsbags full of goodies. They loved them! We were in a recently updated king room on the 7th floor. Beautiful, clean, large bathroom and a great view (we sat and watched all the airplanes taking off and landing at the near by airport). The room had a sofa bed as well. Included with our room was admission to the Palm Beach area. It was VERY crowded and loud so we spent most of our time at the hotel pool, which was small but very nice and relaxing. The kids absolutely loved it. We didn't do any of the attractions since we were only there one night, however, we plan on going back and trying some of them. Moody Gardens was the perfect place for a quick getaway from Houston.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are so pleased to hear you and your children enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens. For a fun weekend getaway come back and visit the Dinos Alive Exhibit, explore a prehistoric stomping ground with more than 20 lifelike animatronic dinosaurs, including a full-size Tyrannosaurus Rex, a baby T-rex and its nest, a Triceratops and a Stegosaurus, just to name a few. Thank you for choosing Moody Gardens as your place to stay in Galveston, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I took my family on a vacation that coincided with a medical conference I was attending at Moody Gardens. Normally, we stay in a beach house with family when we come to Galveston, but we thought it would be more fun to be close to palm beach, etc since the kids are getting older (not to mention more convenient for me).
We booked 2 adjacent rooms. When we arrived, the valet service completely ignored us for almost half an hour. I took the kids to check in, tried to find a luggage cart, and my husband kept trying to get their attention. We finally got a cart, but no help. It took a valet 30 minutes to deign to stop parking cars for those that arrived after us and take our car keys. (After we unloaded our own luggage and were standing by our car, waiting). This was repeated each day until the weekend when they seems to either have enough staff to do the job or had a rotation of staff to those who at least pretended to care.
Our rooms were ok, though the sink did not drain. The entire floor (floor 3 of north tower) smelled like stale cigarette smoke the entire stay. This made my asthma act up. There was no obvious current smoking. Since the hotel is supposed to be smoke free, I was confused. Housekeeping managed to clean our room 2 days of the 5 day stay. Granted, our kids do take afternoon naps, but we were out of the rooms aside from that.
The kids crew staff generally were good, though they did make remarks about not wanting to dress up as the characters, which my oldest then used to figure out that Sunny isn't really a larger than life penguin, but is in fact a person in a suit (he's 5).
We got free admission to palm beach, but in order to get any shade, we ended up pretty much having to rent a cabana. First off, $100 for half a day is ridiculous. Secondly, we were told it came with a waiter (for $100 it should have!!!!). Nobody EVER came by. And when I toted my 1.5 yo halfway around the park to get food, they charged me $40 for 2 hot dogs, 2 hamburgers, and stiffed me 4 drinks and chips. I know palm beach isn't part of the hotel per say, but really??
The food at the hotel was terrible and insanely overpriced. A breakfast buffet with food worse than Denny's that's twice as much?
Our last night there, our hallway was taken over by cheerleaders who had no idea what courtesy meant. Running up and down the halls, practicing cheers, yelling, until 11 pm or so... Arguing when I asked them politely to please keep it down as my kids were trying to sleep...

I informed the front desk on check out of my concerns, no apology or anything.

I trained at UTMB for 8 years and love coming back
To Galveston. We do so at least once a year. I always attend the conference. However, my family will NEVER stay at moody gardens again. For the $3,000 we paid for this trip (at the hotel alone) it was NOT worth it.

• Stayed June 2013
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Starfly3, Thank you for taking the time to visit with me on the telephone last weekend to review the series of service lapses you experienced. While we normally perform at a much higher level, it was clear there were many areas where we fell short. On behalf of all of us here at Moody Gardens, please accept my most sincere apologies. We did experience some other feedback regarding noise with the cheer group during your stay and we were able to get procedures and security in place the following night to make sure the halls were quiet for the remainder of the week. I have also looked at the staffing issues with our bell service and am confident we have that fixed going forward. With the other areas we talked about, you have my assurance that I will personally look into each issue to see that we do a much better job going forward. Thank you for speaking with me. We appreciate the helpful feedback and look forward to be of service in the not too distant future. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager
Fountain, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family and I were visiting family in Galveston and we stayed here on our last night, wish we had booked this place for our entire stay. Very relaxing and quiet. We enjoyed Palm Beach and the outdoor pool. We had adjoining rooms and our daughters absolutely loved staying here. We were given complimentary breakfast at the Terrace restaurant for 4 and there were definitely no complaints.We will definitely be back. The staff was very professional and nice.Thank You Ashley Scott (reservations) for all that she did for us, she is truly amazing.

Room Tip: I loved the rooms facing the pyramids.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent experience at Moody Gardens. I am pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay. Palm Beach is a guest favorite with it’s white sand, lazy river, 18-foot tower slides, and wave pool. Your comments are greatly appreciated and have been passed on to all of our staff. Thank you for choosing to stay at Moody Gardens, we hope to welcome you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!