“Convention review” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Bryan, Texas
“Convention review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel and grounds are beautiful. Our room was recently re-decorated and the colors were very serene. Went there for a convention and I don't know if the planners or the hotel made a mistake, but there was a function for 300 people that only had seating for 50. Not good. Other than that, all hotel functions were great! Very personable staff and the hotel was very clean.

Room Tip: the room was quiet and had a beautiful view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We appreciate you taking time to review your stay at Moody Gardens. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during the event you attended. For the event you referenced, the group and our sales team felt that it was going to be a come and go event and it turned out that most of the attendees came at the same time. We are taking measures to ensure that it doesn’t happen again. I am pleased you like our recent renovations and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope we can welcome you back soon. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked this trip for me because we ALL needed a break and a getaway after school and our activities ended for the year. He made a great choice! Moody gardens hotel offers a package that includes tickets to moody gardens, palm beach, the 3D/4D movies, valet parking, etc.

Hotel rooms and location is perfect. Kids had a blast in the gorgeous outdoor pool. They provide towels. Restaurants are also within the hotel (we didnt eat there.. Mostly got pizza from outside because we have kids ages 4-7).

Relaxing stay for a mom of 4 including a 2 month old newborn! :)

• Stayed June 2013
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you and your family had a fun and relaxing stay at Moody Gardens and enjoyed the Explore Moody Gardens package. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I have shared them with all of our associates. We have many fun activities planned this summer so please keep us in mind for a return trip. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here with my family for a seminar, and the stay could not have been better. The pool, Palm Beach, and cleanliness of the rooms were well above my expectations. I will continue to seek out this hotel whenever I am in Galveston for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens and Palm Beach. This summer we have our Bands In The Sand Summer Concert series at Palm Beach every Friday and Saturday nights beginning June 8th through August 10. It is a great way to enjoy a summer weekend getaway. Thank you for choosing Moody Gardens as your place to stay in Galveston, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O'Neil, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Had the Festival of Lights package with breakfast included and Festival of Lights included.Very nice to stay near moody garden locations with kids. Festive atmosphere during the holidays. Rooms clean and great service .

• Stayed December 2012
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens and our Festival of Lights. This summer we have our Bands In The Sand Summer Concert series at Palm Beach every Friday and Saturday nights beginning June 8th through August 10. It is a great way to enjoy a summer weekend get away. Thank you for choosing Moody Gardens as your place to stay in Galveston, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel and newly renovated rooms are superior. The staff is very pleasant but not well informed. They couldn't handle simple questions or requests. We wanted to find out if they had ESPN2 so we could watch the LSU baseball game. It was on the channel list but not coming on. They spoke to us twice but just never called back with an answer. It took us an hour to get linens for the pull out bed. They first brought a rollaway and then two fitted sheets. We gave up and used the 2 fitted sheets. There were a few valets and bellman but you had to load and pack your own luggage by getting a cart. The cafe breakfast was excellent. Overall, the services were lacking from what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. The renovation is excellent and we love moody gardens and Galveston. We hope they can inform and train the staff to meet the quality of the facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We appreciate your feedback from your stay with us in May. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and that breakfast at the Terrace was excellent. I am disappointed however with the service lapses you experienced. I can see how this incident impacted your impression of Moody Gardens Hotel. Please know that I have reviewed this with our Housekeeping and Front Desk Managers so they can address your concerns with their employees. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. Again, we appreciate your concerns and we hope you will give us another chance in the not too distant future.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here this past weekend, May 24-25. This was our second time staying at this hotel. The landscaping is beautiful and it is convenient to just walk to the attractions. Last time we came was almost 2 years ago and we found a dock behind Palm Beach and took our boys fishing. We assumed it was ok because we had done it before to do it again this time. Saturday morning we went out to the dock and let the boys fish with their spiderman poles. We had a nice lady come over from one of the boats that was docked there to talk to us. She told us that the apartments across the canal were low income housing. (Not sure where that came from but ok.)Then she proceeded to tell us that employees from the hotel had come by to ask them if we were with them. She said she told them no, but to just let us stay we were not hurting anything. I got the feeling she thought we lived across the canal and came over to fish, it was very awkward. I wish the employees had come to us and asked if we were with the hotel and if we were not suppose to be there nicely inform us. We were not there long and then were headed to Palm Beach. As we are walking on the path one of the employees, an older white female comes along in a golf cart and stops beside us. She asks in a rude tone of voice, "Where are you going?" Before my husband could answer I asked "why?" She looked at us and said again in a rude tone, "Well you look lost!" and proceeded to drive off. It was hateful, rude, and embarrassing. If she really thought we were lost she would've asked if she could help us instead. In my mind all I could think was that your employees thought we had come over from governmental housing to fish off of your dock!!! My boys were wearing souvenir Galveston Island t-shirts for Petes sake!!! I have never felt so uncomfortable!!! Thank God the rest of our trip was enjoyable!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about the circumstances involving your stay with us in May. While I was please to read your visit was enjoyable, I was disappointed to read about the incident regarding the marina pier and one of our associates. There is never any excuse for rude behavior and, on behalf of all of the staff at Moody Gardens, I apologize for the unprofessional way this manner was handled. Please know that the Marina and dock are for the use of Marina guests only and the associate should have communicated with you in a much more guest-centered fashion. We appreciate your feedback and be assured that I have addressed the situation with our associates so that we can prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. It is our overriding goal at Moody Gardens to provide the best in accommodations and hospitality in Galveston and we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back soon. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We placed a reservation to this hotel the same day that we would be checking in but my mother with Alzheimer's got sick and we had to cancel it less than an hour after reserving. We explained the situation to the hotel, but it wasn't enough of an explanation. They have no mercy or humanity and are charging us an entire night even though we just made the reservation less than an hour ago. We haven't even left the house or even checked in. Now we have to pay 500 dollars for two rooms that we didn't even get to see, much less stay in. This is in addition to the hospital charges that we'll have to pay. My family and I wanted to explore this four star hotel because we heard of its prestige and this is the treatment we get without even being there? Completely heartless, stone cold people. This was over before it even started. Now we know not to EVER go to this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience with canceling your reservations to my attention. I am sorry to hear about your mother’s illness and sincerely hope she is feeling better. I understand the frustration of not being able to cancel your reservations without a penalty because our 48 hour cancelation policy has expired. After further investigation I believe you made your reservations through Expedia.com, because this is a 3rd party transaction and you paid Expedia, we are unable to refund the money you paid to Expedia. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service, hospitality and accommodations. If you had made the reservation through the hotel directly we would have been more than happy to assist with moving the reservation to a future date.

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!