“Nice hotel but boring!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Alice, Texas
“Nice hotel but boring!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

During our hotel stay for a convention that was three days long it was a bit boring. Even though the hotel was booked, we stayed at the north tower, there was no one in site down the hallways which seemed odd. The view of the pyramids was great from our room which were spacious and bed comfortable. We ate at their restaurant once for dinner the first night and that was over priced and not good. The breakfast buffet did not include pancakes or waffles and some food was not hot. The pyramids are suitable for someone with children who wants to see rainforest, aquarium etc.

Room Tip: Too complicated to get to the north tower rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Moody Gardens. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly upgraded Sealy Plush Euro Pillow top mattresses. The pyramid view is beautiful to behold, it happens to be our most requested view. I was disappointed to read about your experience at the restaurant, I have shared your comments with Chef Urs, our executive chef, he takes all feedback seriously to ensure the food quality is of the high standards we strive to provide to our guest.

We would love to have you come back during the summer, we have many great events planned – our Palm Beach attraction opens May 11 and starting June 8, every Friday and Saturday we have Bands on the Sand complete with fireworks, both are free to guests. We appreciate your comments and would love to see you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed in room 448. It was newly redecorated and beautiful. Clean, modern, yet warm and comforting decor. The bed was very comfortable and we were able to adjust temp to our liking. No real view, just overlooking the waterpark. TV channel selection was good, but in room movies were pricey. Room 448 is at the end of the hall so no noise issues.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our newly redecorated rooms. As part of the renovations we updated our beds to Sealy Plush Euro Pillow top mattresses. We are receiving fantastic reviews about the renovations and beds. I have passed along your feedback to our entire staff. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We decided to take advantage a a room special Moody was offering this past Easter weekend and also reserved Easter buffet in the ballroom. It had been two years since I visited the hotel and I was hoping the service had improved and the rooms had been updated, and that the food quality hadn't suffered. It was an amazing weekend. We arrived late Good Friday evening and check in was prompt and easy. We were given a updated room on the 5th floor and it was very nice, great beds and linens and bathroom totally updated. A cheese and fruit tray with wine was also waiting for us and it was tasty and the wine very good. We ate off property first evening and when we returned from dinner we slept wonderfully in the comfy beds. We ate a the garden resturant the next morning, which was somewhat lacking in a breakfast buffet. Most of the items on the buffet were not even hot. Took a long time to get seated too. After breakfast we did the tours and they were alot of fun and interesting. Then we did the pool for several hours which was great, followed by a trip to papa's pizza ( best outside of Florida I think) and an hour on the beach. The next morning was check out and the Easter buffet. Has got to be one of the best brunch buffet's I have had in a very long time. Presentation beautiful. Decorations stunning. Service impeccable. Food was so very good. Cannot wait to go back for Mother's Day.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your gracious feedback on your Easter Weekend stay at Moody Gardens. We are excited for all of our guests to see all of the planned renovations. I was pleased to read you enjoyed one of our newly renovated room and the Easter Buffet. Chef Urs, has been with Moody Gardens since we opened and he truly has a gift with food. He oversees even the smallest details! While I was pleased to read about how much you enjoyed your stay, I was disappointed to read about the shortcomings you had at the Terrace Restaurant. On behalf of all of us here at Moody Gardens, please accept my sincere apologies. I have shared your comments with the Director of Food and Beverage to ensure we provide positive memorable experiences.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward seeing you back at Moody Gardens Hotel soon.
Folsom, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Positive: it had a nice lobby. And it had good food. I was there for a reunion and the meeting rooms were very nice. Also, as is typical of Texans, the staff was friendly.
Negative: The TV never worked even after 3 calls.

Room Tip: Get working TV
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such kind words about our friendly staff! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens. On behalf of all of our associates, I apologize for the inconvenience with your TV. Moody Gardens is a great destination location so keep us in mind for your future travels - whether business or pleasure.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have been there twice in the past and plan on going back this summer. Hotel rooms are spacious and clean. Building is well maintained. Pool is large and the bar in the pool (well, you sit on bar stools in the water at the bar) is just awesome. The few staff members we saw during our stay were friendly. Only thing that sucked was the food at the restaurant - SIMPLE AWFUL. There is a lot to see: the pyramids etc. You just feel vacation-y when you are there. VERY SUITABLE FOR KIDS!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay with us. We are always pleased when guests tell us they had a great family experience at Moody Gardens. Keep in mind summer fun is about to start - Palm Beach opens May 11 and starting June 8, every Friday and Saturday we have Bands on the Sand complete with fireworks, both are free to guests.

While I was pleased to hear about your great stay. I was disappointed to hear about your experience at the restaurant, I have shared your comments regarding the food quality with our Restaurant Manager so he can ensure the food quality is of the high standard we strive to provide to our guest.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back at Moody Gardens Hotel soon.
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place was pretty nice. It boasts Four Diamond awards. However, I did not find the service to be Four Diamond quality.

We were here for a Legal Education Seminar. When we checked in, we found that one of the six people in our party was placed in a room in "the North Tower" which was really far away from the rest of us. We checked in on the day before the seminar, so, in my opinion, they should have been able to move her to a room closer to us. However, they would not, and the customer service rep who was "helping" us was very condescending, and avoided pointed questions.

Further, the wifi, though free, was shoddy. As an attorney, I am in constant need of wifi, even during a seminar, to be in touch with clients and my office. I ended up having to use the hot-spot on my cell phone the entire time, and letting my coworkers use it too. Now I have to pay AT&T an extra fee because I went over my data allowance.

Also, we went to the hotel bar on the 9th floor, and ordered drinks. At this particular time, there were only two of us, and the waiter added 17% gratuity to the check, as if we were a large party.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We do take all comments serious and it was disturbing to read we did not perform up to your expectations and ours. Please know I did follow up with the managers in those areas to make sure we are consistently providing the best in customer service we are known for. We are currently working on ways to increase our free Wi-Fi capabilities. While we normally perform much better, I can see how these incidents impacted your visit. We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence and leave a better lasting impression. If I can be of assistance in the future please contact me.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

New renovated rooms, great job. Great place for conferences. Internet in the ball rooms gets overloaded with lots of users. Weather was the only downer as a front came through, summer time is great been here at that time also!!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay. I am pleased you found Moody Gardens to be an excellent stay for business or leisure. We love hearing that you like our newly renovated rooms. We will also be updating both our restaurants, Spa and all public areas. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the internet, we are currently looking at ways to prevent the system from getting overloaded.

We have many fun activities planned for the summer, including Bands in the Sand every weekend. We hope to see you again soon to enjoy all that Moody Gardens has to offer!

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!