“Nice Facility. Convenient. Accommodating Staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2 nights SAVE 20%
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Houston, TX
“Nice Facility. Convenient. Accommodating Staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was the host hotel for a convention I attended, and I was impressed. The hotel rooms in the North Tower were a decent size and nicely appointed. The location is convenient to the Seawall and the Strand, not to mention the attractions on site!

A nice lobby bar complete with fishpond, piano, and a decent happy hour. When our group closed down the bar, the staff moved us into an adjoining room so we could continue the celebration. (THANK YOU! It's little things like that that earn you points with convention attendees and planners alike.)

Parking -- at least in the off-season -- is plentiful and complimentary. Bring your walking shoes, though...because this is a big place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our associates recognized your needs and anticipated them. I have passed your kind words on to everyone. Moody Gardens is a great business convention site. We have 100,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, including a 60,000 foot exhibit hall that is ballroom quality. We very much appreciate your business and look to have you visit again soon.

526 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I recently stayed at Moody Gardens for a conference. I was on the 8th floor in an updated room with a king sized bed, and the room was great. Good size, nice decor, comfy bed.

Good sized fitness center. It has sauna in the locker room, although I didn't have a chance to use this amenity.

Very nice staff throughout the hotel.

The main shortcoming is the food options. I dined in the Terrace (?) restaurant on the main level, room service, and the quasi-starbucks in the lobby. I expected to see more healthy foods (fresh fruits, veggies, low fat options) at this property because it seems to have an educational mission. The lack of healthy options was disappointing, as was the quality of food in the restaurant and room service. I've never had a caesar salad served with olives and tomatoes? Maybe it is a local thing, but you can't call that a caesar salad.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room--not all have been renovated as of March 2013.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank You for your kind comments from your recent stay. I was pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and beds. We recently updated our beds to Sealy Plush Euro Pillow top mattresses and have received fantastic reviews. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef regarding the healthy food options. Chef Ur’s has been with us for over 10 years and always prides himself in having the guests leave full and satisfied. Our menus always continue to evolve based on our guests feedback.
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel was nice - it had all the basics covered. But at a luxury hotel's price, I thought it was pretty disappointing. The beds were comfortable, but the room decor was blah. We ate at the hotel restaurant on the first night and the service was terrible. All the waiters were basically kids who had no clue how to provide high quality service. It took forever to get our food and then to get our check, and our waiter smirked through the whole thing. The food was OK.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a great location for visiting Moody Gardens and/or Schlitterbahn. Front desk personnel were very friendly and professional. Also they provided little goody bags for the kids that they really liked.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that our front desk associates were able to provide you with our memorable service. I will be sure to share your comments with them.

It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the finest in hospitality in Galveston. I have shared your comments about the beds with our staff. I am happy to hear you found them comfortable, the beds are part of our ongoing renovation; all the décor will all be changing as well. While I was pleased to read the nice comments about the beds and Front Desk personnel, I was disappointed to read of the shortcomings with the quality of the food and service you encountered at the restaurant, please accept my most sincere apologies. Please be assured I have personally followed up with the Restaurant Manager, as well as the Kitchen Manager, to ensure we are thoroughly inspecting quality and service.
I was pleased to read that your children enjoyed the goodie bags, they are always a great treat for the kids!. In addition to the goodie bags, we also offer our Kid’s Crew program, which provides free activities for kids and families.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, we have great activities planned throughout the year. Easter weekend we will be having our annual Easter Egg Hunt and Petting Zoo. For summer family fun we have our Explore Moody Gardens packages and Schlitterbahn packages.
Your comments are appreciated and valuable to our effort to provide the finest in hospitality here in Galveston.
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Booked this room on Hotwire for 4 guest and upon arriving at the hotel I was informed that I had one king bed. Really for 4 people. I have never had this problem booking through Hotwire as we have always had 2 beds. After talking and crying to the front desk I was given a room with 2 double beds. Mighty kind of them since my mother that is 93 was traveling with me.

Next the hotel is very outdated and we felt like we had gone back to the 80's.Bathroom sink would not drain and had to call maintenance. Finally they came and fixed it only for it not to drain again the next morning.

Make sure you check you credit card bill when you receive it. I paid for this room through Hotwire which means it is prepaid. Got my credit card bill and Moody Gardens had also billed my credit card. This means I paid double. I called them and they said they did not know how this happened and issued a refund to my credit card.

Staying here one time was enough as there are much better hotels in Galveston.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to read about the challenge with your room type. I understand the frustration of being given a king bed for four people. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations to have a more classic look and feel. Our newly renovated king bed rooms come with queen size sleeper sofas. Also we provide roll away beds complimentary so guests can comfortably sleep four in a king room.

When booking through third party web-sites (Hotwire, etc..) you should not be charged through the hotel, except for a hold for incidentals which will released a couple of days after you check out. Please let me know if your refund does not reflect on your monthly statement and I will be more than happy to look into it for you.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon, as we have some great activities planned in the upcoming months. Easter weekend we will be having our annual Easter Egg Hunt and Petting Zoo. Also in May we have a great Mother’s Day package, where with one night’s stay Mom’s Mother’s Day Brunch Buffet is complimentary.
Lima, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had a company business convention here in fall of 2012. The facilities were very clean and well maintained, and the food was great as well. The hotel rooms were very clean and seem to be pretty updated. I particularly enjoyed the Keurig in my room. This is a nice touch that more hotels should model.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
How nice to read Moody Gardens is a great business convention site. We have 100,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, including a 60,000 foot exhibit hall that is ballroom quality. Our Keurig coffee pots are very popular with our hotel guests. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for your review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Had a great trip. I think this hotel will look great when the reno is done. My teens were not impressed with the 90's decor. Our room was clean and spacious, and didn't feel like your typical beach hotel. There are so many beautiful botanical areas. The pool area is pretty great too. I believe they have a kids camp, but my kids are too old.
The very best thing about this hotel is the staff. Everyone was attentive and helpful. I appreciate having great customer service, these guys did a wonderful job!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your comments and letting us know the best thing about the hotel is our staff. Those nice words will be shared. Moody Gardens is nestle amongst acres of lush tropical gardens and majestic pyramids. We invite you to come back/relax and bask in the sun. As you stated, we do have renovation going on - Please keep us in mind when you make your next trip to Galveston Island so you can take in all the new enhancements.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here on business in Feb 2013. Nice facilities for small conventions, meetings, or family gatherings. Relativly close to some major attractions. It appears as though the rooms may be starting to have some upgrading. The property appears to be well maintained.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you very much for being our guest and for your comments about being a nice facility and meeting the needs of conventions, business meetings or family gatherings. Last year we started our guest room renovation and later this year will be giving a lot of TLC to our public areas. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!