“Good with some problems” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort credit
Ranked #5 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Austin, Texas
“Good with some problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hi everyone, had a great trip to Galveston with the family. All in all, it was a good time. The hotel tried really hard. It was off season, they were under staffed. I had to call many many times to get them to do housekeeping in our rooms even though we had been out of the room since 8:30 in the morning. By 2 PM I returned to the room with three pool drenched kids and no towels since the room had not been made up. I finally called and just asked them to bring us towels. It took 15 minutes but they did. When we returned from dinner, they had done our room up.

The restaurant was fully priced. Our lock broke and they had to fix it for us, which they did while we are at dinner. And they were renovating our floor which was a big mess. The manager sent us a fruit basket to apologize for the renovations.

BUT! They did honor our request to have connecting room. (THANK YOU!) When traveling with 3 children under 7 its a must for us and although they wouldn't guarantee it, they gave it to us. The rooms were pretty. We had a gorgeous room. The staff was nice. When they saw us in the pool they ran out with towels. They were wonderful with the kids.

We had a great time. But its not a flawless operation.

Room Tip: See if you can get a view of the pyramids.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for posting and we are happy to read your trip to Galveston was great, you had a good time and got the connecting rooms you requested. However, I was disappointed your room was not cleaned in a timely manner and towels not delivered. While we normall perform much better, I can see how this could cause some frustration. I agree, the view from Moody Gardens Hotel is quite breathtaking and it's always nice to know our staff was nice and also attentive to your children's pool needs. We hope you will give us the pleasure of welcoming your family back in the near future.

598 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Buna,Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

As far as the the hotel it was beautiful and clean, But as of our room I was not at all happy. The amount we spent for 1 night I expected a little more. The tub was so small that my husband couldnt even sit in it and he isnt a big man, I am a 5.1, 110 lbs and barely fit in it. The bathroom counter top was stained up horrible with cigerett stains and I am guess hair spray cans. The wallls had black grease prints all up and down it. They were doing some kind of construction in the room next to us and at 7:30 am the banging and loud talking started. I don"t think I will be staying again.
Joyce Swift

Room Tip: Look before you pay...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is always nice to hear the hotel is beautiful and clean, but i was disappointed to read your room was not up to our standards let along your standards. We are in the middle of room renovations . . . . but still no excuse for the grease prints on the walls. While we normally perform much better, I can see how this incident impacted your impression of Moody Gardens Hotel. Please know that I have reviewed this with our Housekeeping Director to see that each room is inspected before they are sold. Thank you for your business and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Moody Gardens Hotel soon.
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Moody Gardens is a nice hotel, no doubt about that. The rooms are big, the bathrooms are nice and the bed is very comfy. It is also impeciably cleaned and the giant window lets in natural light. The jogging track is an added bonus and the pool area is very nice.
But it is a very big hotel, which means that you shouldn't expect very personal service. The people at the front desk are nice and professional, but there are so many of them, so you probably wont see the same person more than a couple of times.
The food at the Terrace restaurant is okay, but nothing more. The hotel is placed very far from the town, so if you don't have a car (and I realize that in the USA, everyone does) you have to get a taxi into town to find some other place to eat (or splurge at Shearn's on top of the hotel).
All in all, the hotel is nice and I can't really fault it for anything, but it doesn't leave a lasting impression.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Rygsaek. Thank you for staying with us during your time on Galveston Island. I am pleased you found the hotel impeccably clean and comfortable. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Conroe, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I recently purchased Yearly passes to Moody Gardens that includes 25% discount to the hotel. We wanted to make resevations to stay there for our anniversary. When I looked up thier site the daily rate was $159 but I couldnt find where to enter our discount. I called their reservation line and got an operator that was rude and barely spoke english. After being tranferred to reservations another rude lady told me that the discount could only be taken from the "rack rate" (which isnt online) at $259 not the daily rate given online. The Discount made it $201. What is the point of a paying for a yearly pass to have the discounts if the regular rate is cheaper? What a total rip off!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon Ashley,

Our Moody Members are very important to us and we appreciate your loyalty. Our off Season Room rate is starting at $199 island view so the discount rate (25%) will be $149.25. Then for our the busy season (Spring Break thru Labor Day) the Discount (25%) starting at the rate $229 island view so then the discount rate will then be $171.75. I do apologize that reservations did not quote you the correct room rates. When purchasing a Moody Membership, I completely understand that the discount on rooms is a large benefit. Our reservations department is located on property and be assured I have personally talked with each of them to ensure they are relying the proper information.
Porter, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have to say I was so disappointed in this hotel. We had my son's birthday party at the aquarium (which was EXCELLENT) and decided to make a weekend of it for my kids. I booked a BAY view with 2 queen bed room since there are 4 of us and my kids love to look at the water. We came over after the party and lunch to check and was told they didn't a room with 2 queens. They would be more than happy to give us a king with two roll aways. I said no, if I wanted that I would have booked that the first time. When I asked the extremely rude lady behind the counter why they didn't' have my room she informed they don't guarantee beds. I was shocked, I have never heard of a hotel not guaranteeing beds. Then when I questioned her on that by asking if I had booked a king and you didn't have one you would give two doubles, she replied by saying yes. I was shocked. They did finally "manage" to find us a room with 2 queens, but I was told it was an island view..not happy, but since my kids were exhausted and it had taken way too long we took it. It was an island view alright, of the PARKING LOT and roof top..soooo exciting !! The room was okay, nothing to be excited about. Definitely dated..there was rust on some things in the bathroom, the counter was cracked, the ceiling was peeling and the caulking on the counter was done really bad. We tried to call for housekeeping bcuz our remote didn't' work and NONE of the phones worked or are labeled. We got busy signals with most of the buttons we pushed hoping to find some one. The only one we could get was by pressing zero bcuz we had no idea who the buttons went to. The next morning both my husband and I woke up feeling horrible. Our heads were stuffed up and neither of us could breathe. We couldn't figure out why til I was laying there watching tv and noticed my feet were higher than my head. So our bed was slanted so bad it made us sick. Upon check out we called for valet and he went down to find a luggage to carry our stuff out. He couldn't find one, when he asked for some help he was informed they didn't have any, they didn't' know where one was and they couldn't help him. Fine, we'll just carry it. Get downstairs and our truck was sitting out front bcuz valet had brought it around, but there was no valet around and it was locked. I get keeping it locked for security, the but the booth was empty, so my kids are standing outside in 40 degree weather waiting for my husband to find the keys so he can let us in. I have to say it was one of most mis-managed valets I have ever seen. Overall the experience was horrible and as a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations and the cruise line that leaves from Galveston now I will make sure to not recommend to clients to stay here before the cruise. It would be no way to start a vacation. I am thoroughly disappointed in the hotel, the staff and the overall experience at a hotel that is supposed to be so highly rated.

Good Afternoon Mrs. Benge,

Thank you for bringing to my attention the circumstances regarding your stay with us. I was truly embarrassed over the series of service lapses that marred your visit with us and, on behalf of all of us here at Moody Gardens, please accept my most sincere apologies.

It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. There was no valid excuse for our lack of professionalism and attention to detail, and I can certainly understand your frustration. I personally went to the room to inspect the conditions you mentioned in your e-mail and agree with all of them with the exception of the bed. A couple of months ago we purchased all new pillow top mattresses and have received very positive feedback . We also do guarantee room types like all other hotels and I have personally talked with the agents and manger involved in this. I know when I travel room type is very important to me and I apologize for the frustration this caused. Please be assured that I have also shared your comments regarding valet with the guest services team. I have credited your stay of $171.35 back to the credit card we had on file for all the service issues. We have started our $30 million dollar renovation 2 months ago and will finish early next year. If you would like to give us a second chance I would be happy to make all of the arrangements personally.

Mrs. Benge, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of service and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed the weekend of Jan. 11, 2013, for an event our daughter had at Moody Gardens. We have been to Galveston numerous times, usually staying at the San Luis, but stayed at Moody Gardens for this event. We were not disappointed. Our room was large, comfortable, and clean. The bathroom was of good size as well. Every staff member we dealt with was competent, friendly, and helpful. Despite a hotel full of school aged cheerleaders the room areas were actually very quiet and we slept well. The kids loved the heated pools. The food at The Terrace (hotel restaurant) was okay, a bit expensive (expected at a hotel), but the servers were great. The only problem we had was picking up a wireless signal for our phones. It was spotty. No problems w/ a signal in our room but in the lobby and other areas we could only get a signal about half of the time. However we had no problems receiving the free wifi service offered by the hotel. The hotel is not across the seawall from the beach as are some of the other hotels but it is only a short drive. We will definitely consider staying here again on our next trip to Galveston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kelkay66. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and walked away with the thought that you will definitely consider staying at Moody Gardens Hotel again on your next trip to Galveston. I will pass along your feedback to our staff and thank you for sharing.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Even during a major room remodel, our stay at Moody Gardens was wonderful. We never heard or saw any work being done. We were in an "older" room, but it was very comfortable. The bedding is great and very plush.

The staff at Moody is well trained and always ready to assist. During the holidays there was hot wassail in the lobby all day long and in the evenings snacks and soft drinks were available. We enjoyed the Festival of Lights and Moody provided a complimentary shuttle back and forth to the entrance of the festival. This is a wonderful, family oriented, resort and I have stayed here a number of times. Our granddaughter loves the hotel experience and my husband and I enjoy our own little get-aways. There are activities provided all year long, from the Rainforest Pyramid, the Aquarium, 3D and 4D movies, heated pool and spa, to The Schlitterbahn which is next door. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: Views of the pyramids are wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Nancy H. I am pleased that even during our major room renovation your stay at Moody Gardens Hotel was wonderful! Given our pride in providing excellent service and care for our guests, I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our entire staff. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!