“Great hotel.. nice location for Moody activities.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
ICE LAND Packages
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Spring, Texas
“Great hotel.. nice location for Moody activities.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is real nice... Probably the top 2-3 hotels in Galveston. It is not on the beach (about a mile from it) but it is right there next to Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, The Aquarium, which is this Aquarium,is one of the best in the entire south. They have now the "Festival of Lights".. with over 1 million Christmas lights, but it is due to end soon, as the holiday season is nearly over. The Moody gardens has the largest Imax screen in Texas, but really, they need to change their movies selection more often. The hotel has very comfortable beds, nice pillows, and is very clean. I am not an easy sleeper in a new place but this was nice bed and comfortable.. I slept late both nights..As mentioned, the "Discovery Pyramid" which has a very interesting display of sound, music, and how sound waves works, and a "Happy Feet" 6 minute film for $12 for adults that is severely outdated.. had the same video for years... need to change. They have the Rainforest Pyramid, which is a constant temperature all year round with monkeys, anacondas, exotic birds, including at least a dozen McCaws.. all beautiful...worth the trip there to see it. Sorry.. I was telling you about the main attractions on campus... not the hotel.. but really they are related, because this is where the fun is. It is not cheap going to the different pyramids if you have a family especially, but for $320 (not cheap) you can purchase a membership for the entire family for a year (up to 5) then.. everything is included. River Otters.. All the IMAX movies, butterflies, Aquarium, discovery pyramid, no extra charge for an entire year. Back to the hotel. They have a nice pool.. but even though it is heated.. it is outside, so you have to deal with the elements in the winter. All the staff are nice, professional.. Just what you'd expect from a nice hotel. All in all, if you want to do activities in the Moody Gardens area, and you like nice service and comfort.. This is your place. If you like the beach within walking distance... With the same class.. Maybe the San Luis Resort or Hotel Galvez might be more to the liking.. There is a lot to do in this area... And they do have a day pass and a 2 day pass for everything... I give this place a 5 star.

Room Tip: Location Location
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear mattscards,
Thank you for your complimentary post. I am glad you enjoyed our facility and that you strolled over to visit the Aquarium, Rainforest and our yearly Festival of Lights. It's nice to read that you slept late both mornings because of our new bedding. This is part of our room renovation and we like getting positive comments from our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back at Moody Gardens Hotel soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Texarkana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel was nice, but overpriced. It seemed like we were having to tip someone everytime we turned around or feel bad for not doing so. We could not refuse service, because the employees would insist. The shampoo and conditioner were awful, so bring your own. It would not lather at all and felt like baby oil in my hair. I hardly could get the tangles out of my long hair. Check-in was awful-long lines and slow service. Even the guy that worked there waiting to take our luggage up was upset about it. He said that he was going to let the manager know, but we never heard anything. Imagine that! We ate breakfast buffet in the restaurant and they did not tell us when we ordered that the buffet was over and that they would not be re-stocking. They refused to make my son some pancakes, so he didn't eat. My other son was sick in the room and requested a couple of slices of bread and some juice. We were charged $8 for that, which was ridiculous. Speaking of sick, we were all congested by the time we left because we could not get the room to remain at a comfortable temperature. It was always either too cold or too hot. The temperature of the room would even wake us up several times at night. We kept slightly adjusting it, but the temp. would go from one extreme to the next. The housekeeping personnel could not assist me because they could not speak English and we did not get service until almost 4:00 in the afternoon. All of the Moody attractions seemed to be more geared toward young children. We did enjoy the pyramids, but are glad we didn't pay full price. My sons were looking forward to the ice slide until we found out that it was geared toward small children as well. A plus was that the outdoor pool was open and heated. The pool area was very nice and not crowded at all. Also, the grounds were well kept, clean, and abundant with beautiful flowers.

Dear Kim M,

I am sorry that not everything met your expectations while you were a guest. We take our guests feedback very seriously so please know I will pass along to the appropriate department managers the comments you submitted. It's nice to read that your family did enjoy the outdoor pool and take in the beauty of our landscape. I appreciate the input you gave and hope we will see you again at Moody Gardens Hotel.
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed there for a night for a company event.
The hotel facilities are good, less so for the rooms. It is quite clear these have not been renovated since probably the very beginning.
Beds are particularly soft, not good for me, and I suspect it is because old, not because soft on their own.
A bit too much the flower design of the carpet.
Food was ok, not great.
Conference rooms at the last floor, good but not the best I have seen.
I think the idea behind is to provide a cheaper alternative to companies that want to organize a getaway outside of Houston.
A suggestion would be to offer in the package something linked to the aquarium or the gardens that are close by, I did not have time to visit them and it is a shame.
I am not sure if I would recommend this place, surely I wont go myself on my own, it does not appeal to me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear latakia,
I appreciate you taking time to review your stay. Moody Gardens Hotel is under way with our guest room renovations. We will eventually renovate our Terrace restaurant, Spa and public outlets. We are sorry you did not get to Aquarium, Rainforest but hope to see you again soon to enjoy all that Moody Gardens has to offer!
Houston Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

A great family outing on Galveston Island and very inexpensive compared to other such events. It has really improved this year, finally the recovery from IKE is nearly complete. Kids love the train and the hot chocolate!

Room Tip: Did not stay at hotel - too rich for our pockets. But friends have had good rooms there get higher...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear sojourners2. We are pleased to know you had a great family outing on Galveston Island. Holiday time is a fun time at Moody Gardens! We offer many different package options so please keep us in mind for Spring Break.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

When we showed up there was chaos in the line inside as well as outside in the vehicle line. There were a lot of people in line but only 3-4 people working to help them. I also heard 2-3 say they had been in the line more than once due to issues the first time they were in line. Although I had emailed the hotel about seeing the lights on 2 separate occasions, I never received a email response back. When I asked about them, they told me there was a package deal that included it and breakfast and a couple of. Other things BUT they couldn't process it that day, they could have done it the week prior but not that day because I had bought my reservation through Expedia. When I asked about buying the tickets to see the Christmas lights, they said they couldn't sell them to me, I would have to go to a separate location to buy them, it wasn't close enough to walk, I would have to drive. Did that, then tried to park in their garage, it was full, as it was the entire weekend. The room was nice, the view was good, service was great even though they brought the strawberries at like 5 instead of 8. (It was our anniversary.) the lady in the gift shop is extremely nice! She made the trip more tolerable in a lot of aspects. We did have a nice trip and anything that we didn't like we just rolled with the punches. We would do it again just maybe be a little more aggressive on return emails and checking for better deals that may come up prior to our arrival to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael F,
Thank you for your thorough and honest review. We apologize for what appears to be misunderstanding on our part on several occassions. I am pleased your room was nice, the view was good, and the service was great. I am glad to read you would do it again. I look forward to welcoming you personally during your next visit.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our small family did an overnight Thanksgiving getaway and everything was perfect. The room was updated: Kuerig coffee maker, great beds, pillows and decor. We had the package with the Festival of Lights and our room overlooked the wonderful lights which made it even more special.
We also purchased the Thanksgiving buffet. I wasn't expecting much from hotel food but it was spectacular! My son was crazy for the heated pool and all the nice families celebrating the same way we did.And all the staff was helpful and friendly. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear planvacations4me2 - Houston,
Thank you for staying with us during Thanksgiving weekend. I am pleased you found everything to be perfect. Our Chef does display an amazing Thanksgiving buffet that is enjoyed by all. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is set in beautiful gardens on the lagoon side of Galveston (not my favorite tourist destination). It is somewhat set back from the esplanade so a car is advisable if you want to see the town. The grounds contain several attractions (IMAX, Rain Forest etc) making it a good getaway for families. The decor seems a little dated now - I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the pink and teal! The staff were welcoming and very helpful but I found it a little difficult to navigate around the many corridors as the rooms are widely distributed. It is clear that there have been updates to the spacious rooms, but they still have an 80-90s feel, and there was some wear and tear - although minor. The bed was comfortable, but I should have preferred less resilient pillows. The air conditioning was excellent and quiet. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the bathroom along with higher-end amenities.
The food is generally good and reasonably priced. In the off season there can be a number of meetings and conventions, but the resort is large enough to cope with them.
If you want the best you will want to wait until there has been some additional updating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank You for feedback regarding your recent stay with us! It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. I was pleased to read that our staff was welcoming. We recently began our multi-million dollar renovation to all guest rooms which will greatly improve the overall impression of the rooms and amenities we offer. As you mentioned the color needed to be updated throughout the guest rooms. On your next visit, I am sure you will notice some great changes. Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!