“Wish I could give it better rating” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
ICE LAND Packages
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Grand Prairie, Texas
“Wish I could give it better rating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay but when rating Moody it lacked in many places. No service at valet desk so we dropped our luggage and I went to search for parking. I usually carry my own luggage, but not until we lugged all our bags to the lobby were we even offered help with our bags. Nice lobby and common area were overshadowed by outdated decor in guest room. Spa was pretty good while the fitness center and adjoining locker area were the best I had ever utilized at any hotel. Pyramids provided mixed results - rainforest was ok, discovery was terrible, aquarium was really good. Fountains and hardscapes around property were torn up and not working. Pool area was nice but lacked any free shade-you have to pay for shaded areas. As stated before, we really enjoyed our stay but besides the fitness center - there were not many items worth rating highly. For the price - a guest should expect much more from a hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We are happy you enjoyed your stay! Beginning this fall Moody Gardens Hotel is pleased to state we will begin an extensive renovation of all our guest rooms and public areas. It's an enormous undertaking but one that we look forward to and know the end results will be pleasing to everyones eye. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you back in Galveston soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The conference for the group I work for had a conference scheduled for a couple of weeks after Hurrican Ike hit. Needless to say, I sadly had to change venues. One year after Ike, we decided to go back to Moody Gardens and were certainly not disappointed. The hotel is perfect. The food is perfect. The staff is perfect. The management team is perfect. Our conference was perfect. They all made me look like a hero. If I was allowed to do so, I would have our conference there every year. Galveston is a great city and Moddy Gardens is THE place to be. Thanks to all!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are the bomb!!! : )
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your complimentary post. I am glad you enjoyed our facility for your conference and we hope your company will consider Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa & Convention Center again in the future. We like knowing "perfect" is your word of choice to describe your stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
SugarLand, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center August 9-12, 2012. Check in was easy. As for parking, no valet attendants were available and the front desk told us to just go find a spot in whatever lot had any room. We had quite a hike to the parking lot. Our room was a king as requested with a view of Schlitterbaum. The carpeting, drapes, and furniture were very dated. The bed was very comfortable. The carpets needed cleaning. I walked across the carpet after taking a shower and my feet got quite dirty. The walls were pretty thin and we could hear the kids crying next door. Unfortunately, they cried quite a bit.
The pool area was nice, but there is no "free" shade. If you want shade you have to rent one of the cabanas (very expensive). They really should have lots of umbrellas around the pool. My biggest pet peeve is diapers in the pool and unfortunately there were lots of babies and toddlers in the pool wearing diapers. This should not be allowed as it is a health hazzard. The other issue I had was the sign says no one under 16 in the hot tubs, yet kids were using the hot tub as if it was a baby pool. By early afternoon the water in the hot tub was murky. Although security walked around the pool multiple times during the day nothing was said to any of the children or people with babies in the hot tub.

The food and bar service at the pool was excellent. Chrystal served us all day, keeping the tab open. She came by regularly and asked if we needed anything. We told her we would be leaving around 3:30pm and she came by about 10 minutes before with the check for us to sign.

We had room service breakfast two mornings and the breakfast buffet the last morning. The eggs benedict was undercooked and the scrambled eggs were not made with fresh eggs. At the breakfast buffet we were very surprised to find that there was no omelet station or place to get eggs cooked to order. Heck, even Hilton Garden Inns do a much better job at that.

The entire Moody Gardens Complex seems worn and tired. There are exhibits with nothing in them, the rock area that should have water flowing had plastic pipes laying about. They need to do a better job keeping all the attractions up and running, especially considering the prices.

I had a coconut lava manicure and pedicure - Denise the nail technician was very good. The price was what one would expect to pay at a spa. It was a relaxing way to spend a few hours.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
I was pleased to hear your enjoyed your time in our Spa. Denise has been with us for several years and she always does a great job. On your next visit you should try our new Beer pedicure we introduced this labor day, we have heard our guests love it! Chrystal has been a great addition to our team in the pool bar area and I have shared your comments with both associates. In the next month we will begin our multi-million dollar renovation of the hotel and public areas. We heard from several guest concerning the lack of shade at the pool and we will be addressing this during the renovation. In the upcoming month we will be posting photos of the new rooms on facebook , everyone will be pleased on the new look and feel. I appreciate your comments also on the hot tub with children being under 16 in it. We recognize the hot tub is an area where adults like to find some relaxation time. Please be assured I have addressed this with the security manager. Our Executive Chef, Urs Schmid has been with us for numerous years and I shared your comments concerning the breakfast. He has addressed this with his associates to ensure the buffet is meeting the guests and Moody Gardens expectations. Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.
Fredericksburg, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I took our son, his wife, and their 7 children (a baby included) to the hotel in July. We all had a fabulous time. It was not only really fun but it was an incredible learning experience for the adults as well as the children, touring the "pyramids." We really enjoyed the hotel's water park as well. The staff is very friendly and wanting to please the guests, the rooms were very clean and quiet, beds very comfortable, and I understand they are soon to be refurbished but are certainly adequate as is. The daily brunch is very good, alot of selection at a reasonable price. You could have a great vacation without ever leaving the grounds. Our whole stay was incredible. We loved it and will definitely stay there every time we go to Galveston.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your very thorough and honest review of Moody Gardens Hotel. We take particular pride in making guests feel welcome and relaxed. Thank you for taking the time to enjoy all the amenities that we have to offer. We hope to see you again soon!
Allen, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Very slow service for valet every time I used it there was only one person working and was always backed up. Call at least 15-20 minutes ahead if you want your car and don't be in a hurry when you get there. Waited in line for at least 20 minutes to check in. Long line with 3 intake people in the early afternoon on a Monday.

Wanted a coke from a vending machine and had to try 5 different floors before I found on that worked. Hot water faucet for the sink in my room leaked and the drain didn't work.

Exercise room had empty water cups all over the place and they don't provide any exercise towels to wipe off the equipment.

Not much of a view frommy 6th floor window unless you like to scenery of oild refineries billowing the sky with steam and smoke. The air is filled with the smell of the gas and refinery operations too. The water parks looked like fun for the kids but you have to drive to the seawall for an ocean access.

Conference rooms were nice, but the staff was disruptive on several occasions. If I hadn't had a good discount rate for the conference I attended, the value would have been terrible. Food at the restuarant was average and over priced for the quality so plan on eating out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback from your stay with us. It is our overriding goal at Moody Gardens Hotel to provide the finest in service and accommodations in Galveston, so it was unsettling to read your comments. We have contacted our Coke Cola representative to service the machines on all floors. Please know that we have reviewed these incidents with the front desk services to see that situations like this are not repeated again. We appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention ~ we hope you will give us another change in the near future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here for business. The hotel looks like a family-oriendted resort hotel. The staffs are really nice, wonderful and kind. I wish I were here with my family.
The room and bed were clean and comfortable even though they are dated. The amenities are great.
The pool looks great even though I did not try the pool.
There are ample complimentary parking spaces. There are Moody Gardens, and Schillitterbahn water park next to the hotel. So, I could feel the atmosphere of entertainment park.
Overall, it is a great resort hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I am glad we provided an atmosphere that made you wish your family was with you. It's unfortunate that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy all that Moody Gardens has to offer. Remember you are welcome to bring your family the next time. We look foward to serving you again.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We just completed our third stay at Moody Gardens with our granddaughter. She loves all the activities with the Rainforest ,Aquarium, exhibits and movies. In December we stayed for the Festival of Lights and this trip for her 10th birthday included a day spent at Schlitterbahn Water Park. It is next to Moody Gardens and the hotel provides bus service back and forth. We also enjoyed the beautiful pool at the hotel. Hotel service was excellent and the staff went out of their way to please. "Ask and you shall receive" seems to be their motto. So many activities for kids, including the outdoor movie on the breezy patio with popcorn and stars overhead. We are already making plans to return for the Festival of Lights in December.

Room Tip: Higher floors afford beautiful views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your complimentary post. Moody Gardens just couldn't ask for a better compliment than your granddaughter requesting to return for her 10th birthday. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you all again real soon. Keep in mind we are going into the fall season and have lots in store for entertainment.

Been to Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center? Share your experiences!