“Consumer Alert: Paid for Room or Asked for Refund and got Neither” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Galveston

Save Saved
You added Four Points by Sheraton Galveston to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Galveston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Seawall Blvd, I-45 South Between 23 & 24 Street, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #25 of 49 hotels in Galveston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas, United States
“Consumer Alert: Paid for Room or Asked for Refund and got Neither”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I am posting this to help consumers because I do not want what happened to me to happen to anyone else and ruin their Labor Day holiday. I booked and I paid for a room at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, Texas for one night through Hotels.com. The contract stated it was non-refundable. I tried to cancel my room reservation through Hotels.com’s website. This is 2014’s Labor Day weekend and Sheraton/Hotels.com could quickly and easily mitigate their damages by giving the room to someone else. Rooms are in high demand in Galveston, Texas this weekend. The hotels.com website states that if I cancel, I agree to forfeit the moneys paid for one night so I did not cancel my reservation online. Instead. I tried talking to Hotels.com’s customer service dept. to obtain a refund. I told the Hotels.com agent when I called that I did not want to give up the room if I did not get a refund for the money. I wanted to receive goods or services in exchange for my money. Hotels.com put me on hold, then told me they spoke with an agent for Sheraton and/or Four Points by Sheraton in Galveston had agreed to refund my money. Hotels.com rep stated that the Sheraton email confirming the refund was coming an the next few minutes. I wrote the confirmation number for the transaction for the refund that the customer service agent at hotels.com gave me. Instead of an email confirming my refund, I got an email from hotels.com essentially stating Hotels.com and/or Sheraton was keeping my money and the room (no consideration in this contract) and also a deceptive trade practice. This is Texas, USA. Since Sheraton’s email confirmation never arrived, I called Sheraton reservation’s number and their agent told me they did not have any such transaction on record. I tried talking to the Manager for the Four Points hotel but he had left for the night. I called AMEX and disputed the transaction because I did not get a room/or refund and AMEX told me it could take a few weeks to investigate the claim. They took my room and my money and I hope this posting is of use to other travelers.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Steven T, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, yesterday
Hello Margarita C,

If at all possible, can you please reach out to me at the hotel to discuss the problems you mentioned and for us to gather more details. I can be reached anytime at 409-974-4796.

268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Mineola, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel is in a good location, across from Pleasure Pier. The staff was friendly and helpful and our room came with free internet access. The wifi was excellent with many access points throughout the hotel. The problem with the wifi was network security. Our room and lobby network connection never required a user name or password. I mentioned the unsecured connection to the desk staff, but they weren't concerned. I also used the business center computer to print our boarding passes and discovered that both business center computers were not protected by antivirus software. After completing a hotel survey, I did receive an email from the general manager stating they were investigating that issue. We didn't like the late afternoon housekeeping. Our room was not serviced until 3:30PM - 4:00PM each day which made it difficult when returning from a day at the beach or pool. Once these issues are corrected this hotel is a good choice to stay in Galveston.

Hello Rob,

We're glad you had a great stay with us! We hope that when your travel plans take you back to Galveston that you stay with us again.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

There is really nothing special at this hotel and I think it is overpriced. Although I did not pay because I have points to use, the standard bedroom starts @ $219 (peak season). I overheard somebody trying to book a room that same day for $135. I think that is still steep for a one night at that hotel. Some parts of the hotel is warm especially the elevator. The room is just OK but I do not like the bathroom sink. It is single and it is too high for the kids. Considering that it is a hotel by the beach, you would expect at least a string to hang your swimsuits to dry in the bathroom if you don't have a balcony. BTW, there are only 3 rooms facing the ocean with balconies and I think those are bigger rooms. There are also 3 rooms facing the ocean with floor to ceiling glass windows. I am not sure if you pay premium for those or you have to be a preferred guest like an SPG member to avail of them. The upside of it all is that the staff is friendly and helpful. The bed is comfortable and clean. And the hotel is a stone throw away from Pleasure Pier (this place btw is a dollar sucker). All in all it is an average hotel...it's OK just for a one night stay.

Room Tip: Go for higher rooms and if possible get an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Steven T, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello Epang65,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. The rooms with a balcony are available for any guest to purchase. I'm glad you had a great stay and hope when your travels take you back to Galveston that you choose to stay with us again.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my second consecutive August to stay at this hotel. It's a quick 4 hour trip from home, I can bring my kids, and redeem SPG points for the stay. This hotel looks the same as last year. Bear in mind, this is not a resort. It is a low end Sheraton on a Texas beach. If you go with that expectation, you should know what to expect.

Pros:
Very family friendly.
Room was very clean as was the pool area.
Rooms are a generous size, have a mini fridge and lots of storage.
Food was available for purchase from the restaurant until 10 pm.
Parking was tight and full by the front door but there are plenty of spots in the back.
The bartender, Bill, was the best thing the hotel has going for it, other than location.
Lots of luggage carts for guests to use.
Only a 10 minute drive to Schlitterbahn.

Cons:
The front desk was understaffed at peak times.
The staff did not recognize me as an SPG guest.
The staff was not aware of how the "make a green choice" points worked.
Although there were only 2 tables with guests at the restaurant for breakfast, the staff never was notified we had been seated. We waited more than 10 minutes for someone to come by which they did because I went and got one of the 3 waiters to come take our order.
No movie rentals and no Disney Channel.
The phone in our room did not work to call down to the front desk.
Didn't issue parking passes for guests cars this time. We saw front parking used by Murdock visitors and housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: Stairs are quicker than the elevators. If you need a luggage cart and cannot find one, look in th...
Hello w0rktraveler2012,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate your honest feedback and I will share your concerns about the front desk to our Front Desk Manager to make sure service to stepped up, and all staff know our standards. I do personally apologize for the lack of service you received during your stay. Please know that I am working hard with the staff to make the necessary changes.I appreciate all the positive feedback and I'll make sure Bill gets passed along the message.

Austin, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I can't comment on anything except service, since their housekeeping is still "checking the rooms, to be sure they are clean" even though the check in time was 30 minutes ago. So far I am NOT impressed with this hotel, hopefully it gets better once we finally get a room.

• Stayed August 2014
Hello SLK8526,

Unfortunately at peak times this can happen from time to time. I apologize for your wait, and hope the rest of your stay was memorable and enjoyable.

Bryant, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My first impression was not good.I arrived after a 8 hour drive and asked to if they had our room available.It was a little before the time for check in.The guest in line before me got a room right away without having a reservation.Now I had booked and payed for my room 6 months in advanced so when the clerk would not even try to see if a room might be ready,well it did not sit well with me.I walked away and and cooled off.(I never allow myself to loose my cool). I came back and a different clerk (Steven) took the time to find a room for me.The location was very good and the hotel is in good condition.There was one more problem I encountered on my stay.There seems to be a motion detector (by the door) that triggers the room's airconditioning. The room got a little warm while we slept.Very strange!The jury's still out on if I would stay here again but I might just for the actions of Steven.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Steven T, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hello ColesDad1,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I apologize for the issues you encountered with the front desk. I'll let our front desk manager know about this to ensure something like this doesn't happen again.

Tyler
Assistant General Manager
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for three days and was very satisfied with my choice. There were 3 adults and 1 kid so being right across from the beach and half a block from pleasure pier was perfect. Parking can add up if you have to pay so being able to walk everywhere was a plus.
There isn't a WOW factor to the hotel but hopefully you are enjoying the surroundings more than the the hotel. Beds were clean and staff was friendly.

• Stayed August 2014
Hello Kevin B,

Tyler
Assistant General Manager

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Galveston? Share your experiences!