“I'm sure it was an Anomaly , but it still needs to be reported.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Galveston

You added Four Points by Sheraton Galveston to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Galveston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Seawall Blvd, I-45 South Between 23 & 24 Street, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“I'm sure it was an Anomaly , but it still needs to be reported.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I've been trying to figure out how to do this review now for over a month. So I decided to just go with the facts. I'm giving the hotel a 2/5. I'll go over the reasons below.

We booked a Disney Cruise for December 14th, 2013 and started our search for a hotel in Galveston for the night of the 13th. We did a lot of checking around and decided to go with the Four Points as our location of choice.

I called them and asked a couple of questions about parking. Even though they "gave parking" for a small cost we decided to just pay at the port and avoid all the possible headaches of leaving it at the hotel.

We booked online through Booking.com. We did all the gound work and booked the hotel at the start of October 2013.

All was good and on November 13th, 2013 our credit card was charged for the room. I didn't think anything about that, since I thought it was done to "secure" the room for our December 13th, 2013 reservation.

When we arrived at the hotel on the night of the December 13th, they didn't have a reservation from us. They said "sorry" but you don't have a room. I promptly showed them my booking.com confirmation for the room that night and the front hostess said "oh, not another one of these...". Apparently they've had some issue with the online booking company? The hostess was able to find us the exact room we booked but apologized for it being on the 1st floor. Since we had been up since 3AM to make our flight we didn't have any issues with noise that night.

The only reason I'm giving this 2 stars is the room was nice. Everything was perfect and it was comfy. We had a good room service breakfast the next morning also. Perfect as we left for the cruise.

The bad stuff now...

The supper we ate the night of the 13th was "fish and chips". We thought, awesome. Here we are on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico, let's have some fish and chips. We were not expecting frozen fish sticks from a box.... Seriously, that's what they were. The "kids" fish finger type.

The next morning when we go to check out they charge us for the room. I explained that we already paid but was told. Nope, you have to pay. Said so right here, as she points to the sheet. Fine. I don't want to miss the cruise so I paid.

When I got back to Canada I called booking.com and complained. Apparently the entire problem was the Four Points staff put in the reservation for 11/13/13 instead of 12/13/13..... So I was charged as a "no show". Booking.com went to bat for me and had the hotel agree to credit my VISA for the no show charge. They were given all of my information on December 30th, 2013 to reverse the charge.

It wasn't until January 8th, when I threatened to cancel my VISA and declare a fraud purchase/double charge that the hotel finally credited back my charge...

Seriously. Ugly.

I may cruise out of Galveston again in the future, but I will pick another of the hotels the next time I go.

Moral of the story. Don't assume anything when your credit card is "suddenly charged". Call in ASAP to see what's happening..

I wonder how many other customers this has happened too.

Room Tip: Apparently don't go on the first floor. Even though we had no problems with it the hotel apolog...
Green Features: Standard "use towels more than once" type things. Also had "soap dispensers" instead of "bar soap".
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Robert M, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hello, Brett.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very sorry that your stay with us did not go as smoothly as it should have. I completely understand how frustrating it might of been to arrive to the hotel and to find out that your reservation was not in our system due to an error on our part. We have addressed this issue with our new Front Office Manager and are working towards eliminating this type of issue from occurring again with our future guests.

I have also shared your comments about your dining experience with our Food and Beverage Manager. Your feedback is definitely helpful and will allow us to provide a better product for our guests.

I apologize that the refund to your card was not issued in a timely manner. I did some research and discovered that the refund was actually completed on the 30th of December. Unfortunately most bank institutions are known to take up to 10 business days to show the refund on their end. Our Front Desk staff should have made this clear to you.

Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It really allows us to know where we should shift our focus in order to provide our guests with top-notch service and a great stay. I hope you try us out again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Carson City, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel. The staff was efficient and friendly. The rooms were clean, updated, and the bedding was luxurious. The location was great and the bar & restaurant were very accomodating. I will stay here again!

Room Tip: They had our rooms ready in the morning following our cruise. They checked us in right away. Our roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
USA
1,196 helpful votes 1,196 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hotel is in pretty good condition and relatively new looking. Has some very nice rooms, hallways, lobby, pool and gym. The hotel is located directly across from the beach on Seawall Drive and there is a carnival pier right in front of the hotel for something to do. Clean and well kept rooms, great atmosphere and attractive area.
Didn't like our room as it was an accessible type and the hotel front desk quickly changed me to another room that I liked a lot and without any attitude. That is always impressive as she was very busy at the time checking people in.
This place is well worth the small price to stay here and I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I've stayed at the Four Points pre-cruise, and when I cruise out of Galveston this is now the first hotel I check for price and availability. I've stayed in several Galveston hotels, but most of the places I'd prefer do not allow one night stays over the weekend, which limits my selection.

The Four Points is comparatively new, and suffers from less "tiredness" that some of the other hotel seem to show. The location can't be beat. You're w/in walking distance to several restaurants and bars, including the refurbished Pleasure Pier. I don't know if they still offer free cruise parking, but on my last stay earlier this year they asked if I'd like to leave my car while I was gone. I had already booked parking elsewhere but I'll use this in the future.

The hotel is nice. Nothing overly luxurious but a good solid establishment. There were a few stand out efficient and friendly employees and some who just went through the motions. The bathrooms were small, but since I was going on a cruise, they were spacious compared to what I was going to be using so I was fine w/ the size. The beds were SO comfortable. The rooms were clean and had everything we needed and were sufficiently spacious. We didn't use the pool but there is a small one on premises. I wish they had more balcony rooms (I understand there are maybe 3 balconies in the larger suite type rooms).

I enjoyed my stay there and this coming March, 6 of us are again booked pre-cruise. I'd probably stay there just for the proximity to various food/drink venues. Oh and the comfy beds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here on business; switched over from the Courtyard Marriott.
In a bald comparison, the Courtyard is of course a much nicer hotel, but the Four Points holds its own. It's located near a ton of restaurants and bars on the water as well as Pleasure Pier, it has free beer tasting in the lobby bar for local brews, and the rooms are comfortable.

THE HOTEL--
Lobby: quite a few sofas/easy chairs; there's a bar/restaurant at the entrance but shares the lobby atmosphere
General decor: simple but tasteful
Bathrooms: clean, a little small, regular towels
Beds: standard, pillows are a little too soft
Temp control: wall unit
Amenities: generic shampoo/conditioner on a shower wall mount, good lotion, double outlet by the bed, coffeemaker, full length mirror in the wardrobe
Room Service: yes! food is just okay, but it's nice to have the option.
Service: excellent... even people bringing room service are very pleasant and helpful
Gym: not bad for a small hotel
Internet: weak signal; it took forever to get it to ask me for the password (15-20 minutes) and it was really slow so I wound up using my mifi

EXTRA STUFF--
PROS:
The hotel is just across the street from the beach so you can go out for a stroll/run. And, as mentioned above, free beer tasting.
CONS:
My keys stopped working twice in one week, but that might've been due to anything. They also failed to mention that the main road would be closed off for a carnival type thing so you just had to do a big circle and try to find a way in to the hotel through the back side.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sherman, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was our first time to Galveston and I was worried I would pick a dump or the beach would be horrible! For once I picked a decent place with the Pleasure Pier, beach and Murdocs right across the street! Hotel was comfortable and had some wear due to TONS of people using the place. It was a bit humid and with the doors constantly opening and closing it won't be super cool in the lobby/hallways! There's going to be some sand, the beach is right across the street! The staff was super nice. We had an issue with our shower and it was fixed within an hour! A/C was normal noise wise. The beds were supersoft and one of these days I will buy the down blanket they use on their beds! Talk about sleeping wrapped in a cloud! Loved it! We did eat a quick breakfast on our morning of departure of cereal and muffins. The girl helping us was very friendly and fun to talk with.

We enjoyed the location, close to many things and so much to keep you busy! I was so worried about all the bad reviews I read. I experienced none of the things people are complaining about. Well, sand, humidity and a small pool but what do you expect in te as bu the beach??? Some of the negative reviews were not even worth my time worried about. The only thing I was not too happy with was the price but it's the beach and my first trip there so I didn't mind too much!

Room Tip: There is only two or three rooms that have a true beach view. Our room looked at a big red wall! We...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Prefer the San Luis but many of the hotels were booked for Halloween weekend. Staff was friendly and courteous. Bed was very comfortable, but the air conditioner was one of those window jobs and it was loud when it turned on. This hotel has no pool. It was all right and then I saw a cockroach on the wall. Probably will not be back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Gilbert M, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for the review. We appreciate the good comments and the areas of concern. We will address these two issues immediately. I am very sorry that you had to deal with the a/c unit and other items. Please contact me at the hotel on the main number. I will be more than happy to speak with you.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Galveston? Share your experiences!