“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Galveston

You added Four Points by Sheraton Galveston to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Galveston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Seawall Blvd, I-45 South Between 23 & 24 Street, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Allen, Texas
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I chose the hotel because we had a Starwood certificate for 50% off per night up to 5 days stay, relatively a short drive from Dallas, limited time to be away from our jobs. We stayed May 31 through June 3. It was our combined celebration of both our birthday's and 25th wedding anniversary. We clearly indicated this when we made our reservation that this would be a very special weekend. In the past we were usually greeted with acknowledgement of such. Did not happen.
Positive feed back first. We had a room with the ocean view and a balcony. (Requested). The hotel is close to walking distance to restaurants and Pleasure Pier. We did like having Wendy's next door for a quick bite and ice cream. The bed is really comfy (heavenly bed). Shower and bath was roomy. I really liked the new feature of bath gel, shampoo, conditioner in the dispenser attached to the wall in the shower. Towels were in excellent shape.

Less than positive feed back: If any of you have ever stayed at other Sheraton properties you would expect higher quality and standards. As another traveler stated, it is in the details. The entire weekend there was clearly a lack of "mature management ". Customer service was lacking at the front desk. Our room was lacking a much needed necessity (drinking glasses). When I went to the front desk to ask about them " Oh we don't put glasses in our rooms". I then requested them. The ice bucket was shot! The next day we still did not have glasses in the room. I did remove the plastic ones from house keepings cart and from there on out we had new cups for the rest of our stay. The restaurant is fine for convenience. But, had a much better breakfast at I HOP down the street.
I would rethink my choice of hotels for my next stay. There are plenty more to choose from. Again we had a 50% off Starwood Certificate. Should have used it elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilbert M, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the feedback both positive and negative. You are so right in that the small details can make a huge difference. Over the last month we have focused our training on customer service to improve service. We have new associates that will have a better understanding of the hospitality industry.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

While it's possible the price was high just because of the timing (spring break), the truth is that this hotel is a far cry from what would normally be expected from a Sheraton property, and for the most part, the on site staff was rude and clearly not customer service oriented.

Like has been said before, do NOT stay on the 1st floor near the lobby. You will get no sleep. In addition, the door made a loud noise every time it was opened and clsed. We were moved to a higher floor thanks only to the very nice Manager who just happened to be at the desk the third time I tried to get some service (this was already day #2). The previous two times I was told a move was impossible. The Manager had the move done in 10 minutes, and we thanked her kindly for her help.

The room itself was below average by Sheraton standards, but probably average when you add in the location near the water. Of course now that I know the layout of Galveston I would choose a different location.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with the air conditioning in the hallway and so very cold air came into our bathroom and hotel room all night. We were assured (by a different person on duty that night) that it would be fixed during that evening but it never was fixed.

Bottom line: Choose a different hotel in Galveston.

Room Tip: Do not stay near an elevator, and stay away from the first floor. When you have a complaint, make s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gilbert M, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We appreciate your feedback even though we did not meet your expectations. I can understand your fustration in not getting the perfect room. I also know Spring Break was very busy and rooms were very limited. Room transfers are all dependent on the departures we had for that day. We could have provided a better explanation or more options that may have helped the situation. I will share this with the staff to improve the way we respond to guest request. Thank you.
McKinney, Texas, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

First the good: location location location. 23rd and Seawall is perfect if you want to walk the half block to the Paradise Pier, to Fish Tales, to tee shirt and souvenir shops. The view from the suite is spectacular, both day and night. No obstruction to the view. Quiet suite on the fifth floor overlooks nothing but the Gulf of Mexico and the seawall. No noise from the pool. The Four Points also has room service if you are tired and want something basic. Handicap parking right at the front of the lobby. The suite is spacious, clean, bright, and the hotel is pretty new.

Now for the bad: No balcony! Awkward walk and wait for the elevators. The elevators are cross-wired. No, I'm not kidding. Got a tip from the front desk clerk to press the button on the elevator opposite from the one you want. Sounds weird but doable...but keep in mind that the 2 elevators are separated by the hallway, so you have to push the button on the one on the right and cross the hallway and wait for the one on the left side of the hallway. Not a big deal, unless you happen to be here on a holiday weekend. Or any summer weekend, for that matter. Why? The families with kids, coolers, and luggage carts.

Good: There is a bar and a restaurant in the lobby.
Good: Room service is available.

The room service menu is short and un-inspiring, but it's got the basics. Burger, breakfast (which includes the usual Continental, cereals, an "All American" with eggs and toast and potatoes and choice of bacon or sausage, and omelettes. They also offer a "Breakfast Pie" which is a quesadilla, choice of veggie or meat with cheese. At 8 pm the room service shrimp cocktail was plentiful (8 shrimp for $10) and the presentation was attractive in a martini glass, the shrimp were chilled, but a bit overcooked.

Bad: No salt, no pepper, no condiments (catsup, mayo, mustard). The fries were totally plain, no salt at all. My husband called RS and asked for salt and pepper and catsup, which came promptly with an apology.

Good: Nice bartender/RS delivery person was fast and personable. Kudos to her. Too bad the pepper shaker contained nothing but pepper dust -- literally not a speck of anything in it except the end-of-the-shaker dust.

Bad: The club sandwich was described as being turkey, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and bacon on toasted white or wheat bread. It came with some limp tasteless pre-packaged turkey-ish meat, nice ripe tomato, crisp lettuce, mayo, and some lame Canadian bacon, i.e., HAM. I like bacon, so I was pretty disappointed to see limp ham-like meat on a sandwich. My husband called a second time (apologizing for calling again...honestly we were not trying to be difficult!) and mentioned the pepper shaker was empty and asked about the bacon when we got ham instead. The response was that "the kitchen must have been out of bacon"...but 5 minutes later the same nice bartender/RS delivery lady showed up with a plate containing 4 perfectly cooked crispy warm strips of bacon.

They tried to rectify the shortcomings, and did a pretty good job on round 3 of room service visits, but it was basic Room Service 101 that the kitchen staff should have gotten right on the first try.

Note: This is not a handicap-friendly hotel. If you are mobility-impaired like we are it's a walk to the elevator, then cross over and wait for the opposite one, there is seating in the nice lobby but nothing while you wait for the slow elevator, and ice machines on floors 1, 3, and 4. No one mentioned there was no ice machine on 5 when we checked in, which would have saved my husband a long walk back and forth up and down the corridor...with a leg brace.

As I said, it's the details that make or break a good stay. The Room Service was prompt but took 3 trips to get it right. The front desk clerk could have mentioned the ice machines were only on certain floors. The slow and cross-wired elevators make a 5th floor suite not nearly as nice as you pay for, and at the jacked-up holiday weekend rates this becomes more than annoying. The front desk clerk could have mentioned the ice machines were only on certain floors. We wanted a good gulf view, room service, a good location, and a nice clean updated room. The Four Points delivers on those counts, but they need some work on the little things to be as good as they have the potential to be. BTW, the bed is super-comfortable!

Room Tip: Noisy a/c, elevators are cross-wired,,,press the button on the one on the right side of the hall and...
Green Features: Kudos to the chain for the "Tell us if you want your sheets and towels changed " policy. Water conservation is important, so this just makes sense.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Great detailed review! This was one I used for the food and beverage area. We are changing to a new menu on June 14, 2013. We are excited about it and are going through training on service levels for a new group of international work/study students. We are also looking into speeding up the elevators and a more noticable bell when it arrives at the floor. It is feedback like this that helps us improve.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed here on a weekend for a wedding in May. Because we arrived around 6pm and the hotel was completely booked, we were the last to check in for our room type and were stuck with the very first room by the reception. Absolutely terrible. Every time a person would walk by, you could hear. To get to the elevators of the hotel you have to pass the first few rooms. It was loud all night, and then around 6am when breakfast started, it got even louder. Luckily we called the morning after our first night and requested a new room. We were moved up to the fourth floor, and it was much better. The walls still seemed pretty thin, but it definitely wasn't as bad as the first floor room. Something good worth mentioning - the beds are amazing! Super comfortable with great linens and pillows. I was even looking into the Sheraton Home website to see what it would cost to get one of my own :)

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for your business. I do understand the first floor situation and from time to time we do get a lively crowd in the bar. I will make sure the staff understands to have the hallway door close at 10pm to help with the noise.
Shreveport, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Sheraton Four Points in Galveston, Texas, charged me for a reservation that I cancelled WEEKS before the intended stay date. I will never stay at a Sheraton property again after my experience with the Four Points in Galveston, Texas. I made a reservation for May 17-19, then changed plans. I cancelled the reservation online a day or so after making it (a month before the intended stay) and received a confirmation number. Four days before the cancelled reservation I received an email from the hotel about "my upcoming stay"! I called immediately to make sure the reservation was cancelled. I gave the clerk the cancellation number I had received online and she said, "How did you make the reservation?" I told her it was done through the Galveston.com website, to which she replied, "Oh, that's the Galveston.com cancellation number not OUR cancellation number." So I cancelled it over the phone with her for the SECOND time and got another cancellation number. I called again before the reservation dates to be completely certain it was cancelled. I talked to a customer service rep, who double checked everything and assured me it was cancelled. That rep emailed me a cancellation number. So on May 18--tonight--I checked my bank account and found that Four Points in Galveston had charged me for a reservation I no longer had. I called to have the money returned to my account. The clerk who answered the phone said she couldn't find the cancellation--but then determined that I had actually cancelled the reservation three days before the dates. Then she said I had THREE reservations--nope, I said, I had to cancel ONE reservation three times. I asked to speak to a manager. She said the manager was gone for the day but would be in tomorrow morning. She said the money couldn't be returned to my account until Monday because the banks are closed. "We'll have to call the bank and have the money put back in your account."

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the feedback. We do appreciate the good with the bad. In fact I have spoken to you on this matter and come to realize that it was a simple mistake on our part by not verifing reservations from another source that is not interfaced with our system. Something like that can sownball into something larger. This information has prompted us to update our daily checklist to ensure it does not happen again.
Georgetown, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Only real negative is the in room in-wall air conditioner that makes enough noise to wake you up. A slight issue is the additional charge for breakfast that is ala carte! Rooms are clean and staff are professional and pleasant.

Not sure I would stay there again with so many offering the free breakfast and central air conditioning.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be okay for noise - other than the air conditioner
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very pleased that that you enjoyed your stay with us. Having guest take the time to write reviews really means alot to us. I read them to the staff so that they understand what our guest are saying. This salt air really does a number on these a/c units. We are constantly cleaning and replacing motors. We apologize and do hope to see you again in the future.
Leesville, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I feel that the cleanliness could have been a little better (I have high standards) but for the money, the location is great! The parking is kind of tight but not unbearable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I would not have a problem staying there again especially if I was interested in Pleasure Pier (very close).

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you so much for your business. We do have a great location, however I want our product and service to be just as important. I am working closely with our housekeeping staff to ensure a consistant clean product. Once again thanks and hope you stay with us again.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Galveston? Share your experiences!