“Queen of the Gulf” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

You added Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2024 Seawall Blvd., Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Galveston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've stayed at the Galvez many times over the years. I rotate between them and the San Luis, and have enjoyed going back to the Galvez, as it's where my family stayed when I was growing up. Unfortunately I won't be returning. I attended a wedding there recently and left my car with the valet upon arrival. When my car was returned, the hood ornament was missing. Obviously it had been ripped off while parked in the garage. I had just bought the car, and was very disappointed. The valet guy took my information, took a picture of the car, and told me someone would be contacting me. I was pretty annoyed as I drove away, because we all know how insurance situations work out. However, I thought, "You know what? It's the Galvez. Surely they will make things right." The next morning I contacted the manager of the valet services: Joe DENT. I related the story to him and he told me that he had been informed of the situation. He said that he'd be sending my information to the insurance company, but "from the sound of your story, it doesn't look like we'll be held liable." As I expressed my complete confusion, he went on to say something to the effect of, "You know, it's a really long drive from Austin, don't you think it's possible your hood ornament blew off on the trip?" WOW. I was totally speechless. This manager was basically accusing a customer of lying over a hood ornament. It was really insulting and completely out of character for an employee of the Galvez. Upon my arrival home, I contacted the hotel manager and spoke to his assistant, Tracy. She was much more understanding, but there was little she could do. To this day, the Galvez has not made things right, and I was out $125 for the damages to my car. I wouldn't be so disappointed if the manager had handled things correctly. But to be accused of making up a story about my car's hood ornament, considering I've been a long time customer of the hotel, was indeed disappointing. It would be great if a staff member would make things right. Still not to late! Until then, my family will be enjoying the San Luis. Advice: Don't park your car in the valet! If it's damaged, it will be your fault!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We are so sorry to hear about your experience with the valet service which is contracted with Towne Park. Our gated parking garage is used by our valet service as well as by our guests who opt to self park. As is the case with most garages, we are not responsible for damage but we wish this would have been handled in a more satisfactory manner. Again, please accept our apologies and know that your review has been shared with the appropriate staff.
Katy, Texas, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Please deep clean the bathrooms. Need to better advertise the Hall of History to your guests. The manager-types at the desk need to change their crabby existence and crabby expressions...they should take lessons from the "regular" desk person that stands right next to them! Galvez is a great location, lovely pool area, great historical location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your insight on your stay. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our Hall of History. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will stay with us again.

Been to Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!