“Nice, but impractical” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

You added Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2024 Seawall Blvd., Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
DFW
“Nice, but impractical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

For a beach hotel, the lack of places to hang wet things for drying was a real problem.
Otherwise fine.
Lovely building, nice history, but not worth the price, IMO.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
7hsjVK1qjfGSO08PriLhI2g60-9JBR3jkd7o-GfBDx4
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The hotel was cleaned, lovely, wonderful staff from valet, to front desk, room service, the lady who brought our bags up, the inside bartenders, waitresses and waiters and pool guys. The food was great. The only problem we had was the pool waitresses. I went down to the pool approx 330pm Friday, my husband Gary was at the inside bar. I was down there for about 20 minutes, try to catch the waitresses attention to get me a drink. Several of them went by me several times, could not get there attention. Finally I got me a drink. Finished it and wanted another, waited another 20 minutes still no drink. I saw them over by the outdoor bar, talking, making drinks for other clients, but not helping me. There was a few other clients I saw that they were slow in helping, but not like me. So I got mad and went upstairs. Gary was about to come down to the pool. I told him to have fun and stop at the inside bar to get him a drink he wouldn't get one at the pool. He finally talked me in going back down. We stopped at the indoor bar and got me a drink. He didn't get one, he wanted to see how long it was before he got a drink/help. We were there for an hour and my drink was long gone by then and he never got a drink. We went back inside got him a drink and went upstairs. I would like to thank the hotel for sending up a bottle of wine and strawberries for my birthday. That was wonderful. The only problem I had was I wanted to get something out of the gift shop Saturday and the lady said she was having internet/computer issues so she couldn't check us out. I ended up not getting anything. I know you guys can't control internet or computer issues.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We love to stay at your hotel with our grandchildren. They love the hotel as much as we do. The location is great, Right across from the beach.

We had breakfast each morning at the hotel before heading to the beach and it was wonderful. We were able to walk from the hotel to the new pleasure pier and for ice cream each evening at Fish Tales. The ice cream is very good on a hot day.

I want to especially thank Carol for helping me with my reservations.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had a great view of the ocean. However, because I did not have the conference rate, had to pay full price and the rooms are too small for the charges.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Galvez. It was hard leaving such a friendly environment. The accomodations are excellent. I always look forward to visiting Galveston and staying at The Galvez.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Wife & I stayed at the Galvez for 2 nites prior to our cruise.
Although expensive we found the quality of room and service was worth the cost.
Left our car valet parked during our 5 day cruise at no extra charge which was a savings versus parking at the terminal. Great stay in Galveston.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Midland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Checked out yesterday after 5 glorious days at the Galvez. We booked an executive king room. The room was spacious with plenty of room for the comfortable sofa and play space for our grandson. The bed faced our sixth-floor window overlooking the Gulf. Comfortable bed, large bathroom and shower, mini refrigerator, coffee bar, great view.

All staff members we met were friendly and accommodating, always greeting us with smiles and asking if we were enjoying our stay. Check in took less than 5 minutes. Parking attendants offered directions. Someone always was at the door to open it for us. Pool service was attentive without being intrusive.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday brunch. Offerings were too numerous to list here but included steamed seafood in addition to the expected omelet station. Prime rib and ham were delicious. The huge selection of decadent desserts should have met everyone's needs. The only problem with brunch was the somewhat rickety folding table and chairs. Again, service was prompt and attentive to refill our mimosas and coffee and to remove used plates.

We will return to the Galvez when we visit Galveston. The charm,. grace, and character are much more welcoming and warm than the newer resort hotels which feel sterile to us. This truly is a grand hotel fit for romantic getaways or for family vacations on the beach.

Room Tip: If you enjoy the beach, book a room with a gulf view on an upper floor.