“Fabulous hotel in Galveston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2024 Seawall Blvd., Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Beaumont, Texas
“Fabulous hotel in Galveston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Hotel Galvez! I was already entranced by the history behind this gorgeous property and upon arrival, this beautiful hotel did not disappoint! It has beauty inside and out. My husband and I stayed near the "haunted" room on the 5th floor and loved reading the ghost sighting stories. The hotel staff was so gracious and welcoming. From the front desk personnel, to the bellhops and waitstaff everyone was super friendly. Our room was fresh, clean and just perfect. The bed was very comfy and I loved overlooking the ocean. The hotel itself is in a great location near the seawall which was the perfect place for a morning run. I was happy to see the new Pleasure Pier being built and can't wait to return and bring the family back to enjoy that experience. We'll definitely stay here again on our next trip to Galveston. My two girls will be beyond delighted to stay at this hotel, it was perfect for a romantic getaway but I think it' would great for families wanting the real Galveston experience as well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

1,900 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

The Galvez is the grand old hotel of the Galveston waterfront - an area that has been damaged but not destroyed by every coastal hurricane. The hotel is over 100 years old and is a subject of careful and loving historic preservation, yet the rooms are thoroughly modern and spacious. A recent renovation provides large flat screen tvs and lighting that is centrally controlled from the entry and from the bedstand. Both wireless and wired computer access are complimentary as are local calls and national newspapers. The food in the restaurant provided variety though nothing was outstanding. The staff were helpful and polite. The gym is adequate and well-maintained and the outdoor pool is in a mini-resort. The hotel offers no-charge cruiser bicycles and these provide an excellent way to do sightseeing. The area is enjoying a rebirth and if you have a reason to be in Galveston, the Galvez is a very fine place to stay. My limitations are the general area is not particularly attractive, with the Gulf across a busy road. The local shops feature beach supplies and souvenirs, while the main shopping is at Wal-Mart on the waterfront about five miles to the east and local downtown (The Strand) a mile to the north, with mostly bars and some small shops. Which means you won't spend a lot of time or money away from the hotel. In summary - it's nice for history, preservation and renovation but it's not a destination for the five-star set.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a desk - they're bigger. Ocean views are not worth anything extra because th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Took my husband to this spa just for the day and we both had massages. The people were all very friendly, the spa was nice but the massages were just ok. We've been to many spas and I don't think we'll return to this one. When I get a massage I usually can feel it for the rest of the day but not with this one. I cant say it was a real de-stressor! Oh well, we still have the Houstonian. Now that's a true spa experience!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thanks for your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy the spa more. As you can see from the reviews our spa is well liked but I want to learn how we can do better so I have sent you a private message. I am hoping my spa manager can contact you directly.
Montclair, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012 via mobile

You will treasure your experience here....excellent, well trained, personable staff who are always helpful. Immaculate facilities, beautiful, relaxing decor. If you can splurge with lunch in the relaxation courtyard, please do! Wow!
Skilled hands and professional manner that always make you feel comfortable and well cared for. Kelly was like my long, lost Irish sister and I learned so much from her about skin care during my facial! Georgia did my "sugar scrub" and we had a delightful chat about international travel (Georgia/Kelly, the Beer Spa was super, but the massage nothing to "write home about" :-)
Experience The Spa!!

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your review and nice comments about our spa staff. I appreciate you comparing us to the Houstonian which is a great hotel and makes us feel we are being compared to one of the best.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Overall, I am satisfied with my stay at Hotel Galvez, but there is room for improvement. My husband & I stayed Jan 28-30 to celebrate our birthdays. We have stayed in historic hotels before and know the rooms are typically small, so I reserved a King Suite at a rate of $279+ tax, which included breakfast at Bernardo's.

We opted to self park to avoid the $15 valet fee. When we got out of our car we noticed a couple cars driving very fast through the garage. It was the valet staff driving guest's cars like they stole them. Yikes, that made us glad we self parked!

The property is absolutely gorgeous and nicely appointed. The suite was very nice, with two seperate rooms and a large bathroom, also very nicely done. Only complaint with our suite was it was dusty and the carpet was somewhat dirty in the sitting area--stains and not well vacumned. Also, the bed was comfortable but it was hot. It seemed like the mattress might have been covered in plastic (not sure) which made us both sweat through the night.

Breakfast at Bernardo's gets mixed reviews from us. The buffet on Sunday was OK and our server was not that great. On Monday, the food we ordered off the menu was great and our server was fantastic.

The staff were very friendly, professional, efficient, and accomodating--very good!

So, I think if I had gotten a better rate, I would be happier, but at those prices, I expect things to be top-notch all the way, but they just weren't quite.

Room Tip: Our suite was next to the elevators and you could hear the chimes which was annoying.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

First time we ever had the Sunday brunch at the Galvez was after our duaghter's wedding in 1994. Great time. (We had her wedding reception at the Galvez. Good time but it cost me!) We've had the brunch several times over the years there. It has always been excellent - good food and service. The last time for brunch - we took our friends to Galveston to catch a cruise, but the fog sucked us in for hours. The staff at the Galvez was most helpful. Got our friends to the ship on time.

The brunch is very good there. Slow but elegant. As a brunch SHOULD be enjoyed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Last weekend we stayed at the Hotel Galvez for the first time. We had reserved a corner room on line and had asked for confirmation that we would received a corner room. Notwithstanding the fact that I had received such a confirmation, when I checked in, I was told that there were no corner rooms and that corner rooms could not be guaranteed. It would have been helpful if I was told this at the time of booking - but of course not.

The room we received was TINY. It was less than what you would receive at Day's Inn. It was clean and recently redone - but it did not at all feel like a "treat" to be there. To make matters worse, when we went to leave, the valet lost our keys and we waited more than an hour for them to find our car. The hotel was overrun with cruise ship people and it was a zoo. Not at all the peaceful relaxing atmosphere we had hoped for. Because of the crowds, we skipped the brunch and just left. I don't think we'll give this one a try again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
I have made contact with this guest to apologize. We had a mix up in reservations and should have been able to get her in the corner room she requested. She is coming back for another stay.

Been to Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!