“Good Wedding Weekend Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2024 Seawall Blvd., Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Dallas
“Good Wedding Weekend Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Galvez January 26-29 for a weekend wedding. We have stayed at the Galvez many times over the years and know what to expect. The front desk service was good as was the valet. The hallway walls were being painted on our floor when we arrived and I was glad go see this attention to detail. Our city view room was fine as we did not really have a need to see the dirty waters of the Gulf. We did have some issues...the pillows were terrible!! We had a very uncomfortable night on Thursday, told housekeeping on Friday and they got us new pillows. Sorry to say that tge ones we had gone out and purchased at Target were better. However, the Director of Housekeeping did follow up to make sure we were OK. The other issue was the sheets smelled like Clorox the first night. That was corrected also. Tree were cobwebs from the light fixtures during our entire stay (my husband mentioned this to the front desk). So much for the negatives. The property was just great for the wedding reception, dinner and dance. The whole event was very organized (with the direction from a super wedding planner) and the food really good. I would definitely recommend for any type of celebration.

• Stayed January 2012

1,884 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Recovering from a 6-day bout with pneumonia, we were a young couple in search of a place to recharge before returning to work. Sea air, a massage, healthy and delicious food, and a relaxing environment. Oh and close to Houston. One hour away we found this glorious landmark that would hold its own without its beach, and in any city in America would find its way into the top ranked hotels. Bathrooms small? Hardly. They are great. Classic Wyndham super-fixtures, double showers, clean and smartly designed and not by any means miniscule. Not giant either. Perfect. The rooms demonstrate almost as well as any other part of the building just how incredibly the architect and designer teams must have used their imaginations. Everything feels classic, and everything feels new. The art, the furniture, the perfect beds (of course), perfect size flatscreen, reliable free AT&T wireless, awesome menus for in-room and so forth. We came for this weekend but now wish we could stay for a week...the pool is giant and well-heated, the hot tub (no, recovering from pneumonia you don't go in the hot tub) is perfect, and the setup inside and outside isn't just *seriously* classic (think Mayfair district in London meets Texas Superclass), it's also perfectly suited to moving around to follow changing climate and so forth. Random thoughts - the spa services are thought generally to be excellent. The front desk staff are not "aplenty" but more than enough and they are so nice. We walked in and a better room was available and boom they did the upgrade (byRequest members). From car door to room door in 10 minutes. Actually, from Houston to palatial hotel room door in less than 90 minutes. I'd write more but we're off to eat...more later.

Room Tip: Always get high floor corner room if you can't get on the spa floor, which you should seek.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We spent weekends in Galveston in Dec 2011 and Jan 2012 in two sister hotels and would like to share the comparison. The Hotel Galvez is convenient to the beach and a very historic place. We just had to give it a try and know what it is. The lobby is very impressive but the gulf views from the room disappointed through very small windows. The quality of the room appointments wasn't top notch, but most of all the service was lacking. For example, on a Saturday morning at 1000 there is only one agent at the front desk, no one at the concierge desk, and when we would drive up to the valet the four of them would be chatting to each other at their desk and look away after seeing us. We would have to wave them to us to get valet service. Their management needs to do a better job.

Their sister hotel the Tremont is located just off the Strand and also convienent to fabulous restaurants and the Grand Opera House. Now that is a very quality hotel in every regard - room, appointments, restaurant and customer service.

Skip the beach and head for the Tremont.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
We were obviously not at our best when you visited Hotel Galvez. We should have done better and by our reviews you will see we normally do. Sorry we didn't do better during your visit. Glad you enjoyed the Tremont House and hope you come back to either one.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

I have been to the spa at The Galvez twice now. I was not disappointed either time. Before The Galvez, the best spa experience I had ever had was at The Houstonian. I think the atmosphere and the staff are far superior at The Galvez. Today Ennid and Sonjia took amazing care of me. I could not have been more pleased. This is an annual pilgrimage that my best friend and I make. We intend to continue this tradition for years to come.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your review. Yes, the Hotel Galvez Spa is consistently rated the best spa on the island most recently rated so by Islander Magazine and Galveston.com. Please come back soon.
Double Oak, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a great Hotel to stay in, but even if you don't, the beaches across from the Hotel are some of the best in Galveston and you can tour the lobby to catch a glimpse of this fine Hotel!

Room Tip: Any room the faces the shore!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nacogdoches, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Recently had occasion to spend my first night at The Galvez, the queen of Galveston Island. It's pricey, but worth a splurge. I took a city view room, to be economical, but the desk clerk, enjoying my enthusiasm, gave me an upgrade on that side. The room was spacious with a huge window from which I could see all the amazing historical Victorian homes, and the cruise ship at dock. The bathroom had an enormous glass and tile shower with two sources of water, and very nice upscale toiletries. I ordered room service for breakfast. When it was 20 min. late, I called, and they delivered it in 5 min., gratis. I was in no hurry anyway. Had a wonderful sleep, and enjoyed a winter walk along the seawall. Convenient to anywhere in Galveston.
In the basement is a fascinating museum of the hotel from the early 1900s to the present, and many aspects of historic Galveston. The lobby is very beautiful, with the feel of an old fashioned seaside resort.

Room Tip: Gulf facing rooms are nice, but there are no balconies, and I liked my upgraded city facing room ver...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Thank you for visiting and for your review. Sounds like my staff upgraded you to one of our spa inspired ClearAir rooms. These are our nicest rooms on the upper floor of the hotel with great views. Please come back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was a quick getaway for my wife and I at the end of the summer. We were pleasantly surprised by both the service and the amenities this historic hotel had to offer. The hotel was thoroughly clean and the architecture was majestic. The pool was medium in size but very nice and clean which is of utmost importance for us. Every single staff we encountered gave us the 5 star treatment, from the valet, the desk clerk, spa attendants, wait staff, and the pool side tenders. Our room was a decent size and nicely decorated with clean comfortable sheets for an extremely large bed. The bathroom was a bit narrow but functional. We also took advantage of the spa at the hotel, and even though I have never had the pleasure the facilities here were beyond my expectation to be honest I did not want to leave. Being a male I was the only one in the male locker room and it felt like heaven. Big screen TV with the sports channel on and nothing to where but my robe. Fortunately for me they were okay with me staying as long as I wanted. I almost made a huge mistake in turning down the complimentary champagne they provide since I am not a champagne type of guy, but let me tell you it was divine. All in all it was a spectacular experience we definitely got more than we paid for and can't wait to book our return for a quick 2 day getaway.

Room Tip: We called the Wyndham 877-999-3223 number and got lucky with a representive who helped us get a disc...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!