“Best Tex-mex in Gainesville--from a Resident Gainesvillite” 5 of 5 stars

940.612.1721
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 60 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
“Best Tex-mex in Gainesville--from a Resident Gainesvillite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

The food is consistently the best in town. You can't beat the enchiladas. The Super Cimichanga is large and made with excellent shredded beef flavored with peppers and served with a flavorful cheese sauce. Each restaurant's salsa is something to be enjoyed as long as it is made with fresh ingredients--which theirs is. It is not one with multiple visible ingredients, but is a zesty tomato purée with excellent seasoning. Guacamole is rich and creamy with lots of onion, tomatoe & spices. The iced tea is bold and strong and rarely is empty in a big glass. Once in a great while I may have been disappointed with a given dish, but I always go back. The other Mexican food restaurants in town can't approach the wonderful enchiladas--so don't waste your time. Go on a Sunday lunch date and you'll see that all of Gainesville agrees with me.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Quitman, Texas
“I will never go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I always tell the waiter/waitress if it is my first time to a restaurant, ask if there is anything I should know and what are the favorites. We were told the chimichangas and fajitas were the favs. I got the chimis and my husband got the fajitas . . . and he ordered them without the peppers. The fajitas came with the peppers. He sent them back and guess what they did . . . yes, they picked out the peppers because my husband had to pick out the ones the cook or waitress missed.

We asked for management and she told us did nothging but stand there and shake her head up and down and say "uh hu". She did tell us their fajitas are pre-made with the onions and peppers. Why couldn't the waitress tell my husband that? He would have ordered something else.

This member of management refused to comp my husbands meal or even reduce the price. We will NEVER go back and will certainly NEVER recommend this restaurant to anyone. Definitely a BIG thumbs DOWN.

• Visited April 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“The food is amazing and the enchiadas are...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

The food is amazing and the enchiadas are to die for I would recomend it to any one

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ardmore, Oklahoma
“Best fajitas north of San Antonio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I drive to San Antonio from Oklahoma frequently and love the cuisine in the area...however, no San Antonio Mexican Restaurant can trump the fajitas at Los Mariachis! Our fajita meat is always fork cut tender and the blend of peppers/onions and spices is reminicent of the food in San Antonio. The service is great and the prices are reasonable. I believe other reviewers just didn't order the "right" thing from the menu. The enchiladas and chimichangas are also delicious. We gladly make the drive to have dinner here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
harker heights, tx
“pretty bland”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stopped here by accident, looking for a quick meal in Gainesville. It's near downtown and doesn't really stand out, but I saw the sign and decided to stop.

The decor and setting is nice, and the staff was very cordial and friendly (waitress continually checked up-

The food though left a lot to be desired. I've never liked the expression "tasted like cardboard" because, frankly, I have no clue what cardboard tastes like. But if i were to use that term, it could describe the chips. Pretty favorless and the salsa had more of a garden flavor than it did salsa.
I ordered queso and it was good. Light and creamy good. I like mine a bit more spicy than this was, but that's just a personal preference thing.

I ordered tacos for the meal, and maybe that was my mistake since everyone already dining appeared to be eating enchiladas. The taco shell was close to stale and the ground beef had a bland flavor. Not more more to be said.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and maybe I just went on an off day, or should have ordered enchiladas, but I don't plan to go back too soon.
I will say that the prices are very very reasonable.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere