“Needing a night away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Gainesville
Pilot Point, Texas
“Needing a night away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

There were three large events going on in town and the Hotel was booked. However the service we received was remarkable. My wife and I enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi tub. If you look past the roof repairs that are currently underway then you have yourself a great place to visit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We always ask for a top floor room away from nioise. When we checked in, we were told the inn was being re-roofed, guests were only staying on the first and second floors, and no one was occupying the third floor due to noise and that the roofers may have to go in and out of the rooms. After two hours in our room, we called down to the front desk due to the significant noise overhead, and we were told that the roofers were staying on the third floor in our section of the inn. We were told the roofers were not staying on the third floor on the other main hallway of the hotel, so we moved to a second floor room. There was again someone overhead in that room. After talking to the Holiday Inn Customer Relations folks, and the off-site manager, we decided to drive the 350 miles home to stay in our own home.

We have stayed in many wonderful Holiday Inns in the past year. This is not one you want to stay in. The rooms are out of date;the furniture is old and nicked. The wallpaper in the second room we were in was peeling off the wall, and a desk lamp was damaged and the lampshade was ruined. The desk clerk may not have know ahead of time of the roofers staying on the third floor, or choose to lie to us about people staying on the third floor. When we moved to another second floor room in a wing that was not occupied by the roofers, we still had people living over head. I am concerned about staying in a hotel where the front desk clerk is not aware of what is going on in an entire floor of the hotel. I am also concerned about staying in the hotel where the desk clerk announces "I am going to cry" when she goes to call the off-site manager to call us regarding our attempts to secure a quiet room in a hotel that is not very full. I am concerned about staying in a hotel where the desk clerk and manager cannot guarantee you a "quiet room" with no one over your head, even if it is the room directly under the room that you are leaving. Are they going to give someone else the room that we just left after occupying it for 2 hours? I am concerned about a manager who does not know about the Holiday Inn membership rewards program. Or rather choose to ignore us since he does not get any monetary benefit from out staying there. We drove past 20 or so Holiday Inns on the way home that night, and we didn't think to stop at a single one. The Holiday Inn 1-800 Customer Relations rep was very nice. Supposedly we will get back our membership points used plus the amount and a bit more for the $40 payment we made that we can not get back. Unfortunately what is not easy to get back, is the idea that Holiday Inns are not consistently the type of hotel we want to stay at during our travels. If you want a quiet stay and a feeling that the front desk knows what is going on in the hotel, don't stay here! They received one bubble because none was not an option.

Room Tip: There do not seem to be any good rooms in this hotel since the workers seem to have a "run"...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Waco Tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I stopped at this hotel on our travel to Oklahoma. We got a suite with a jacuzzi and the price was alittle high for this area. They put us on the first floor and not letting us know they were working on the room above us. The coffee maker ran water all over the place and the ice bucket still had the water in it from the previous guest. They did get us another coffee maker but we had to go get it.The refrigerator was dirty and I couldnt put anything in the freezer dept. I called front desk and told them about the noise and the manager asked me why we didn't complain during the night! You can't get anyone to answer the phone during the night!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

The hotel itself was great. Friendly staff, clean rooms, the breakfast was just so-so (I guess my stays at other HI Express hotels have me spoiled to their superb breakfasts).
However my only complaint, and it is a major one, has to do with the trains that run nearby somewhere. They blew their horns it seemed all night every thirty minutes or so.
I got very little sleep and what sleep I did get I dreamt about trains (not joking!).
The room was oriented in a south-easterly direction so maybe if you're on the other side of the hotel you'd be okay.
Or if your a heavy sleeper, or if train horns don't bother you than I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Otherwise, you've been warned!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the north west side.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Had a wonderful stay. We signed up for the rewards and got so many extras. It was loud because our room was located next to the elevator. But once everyone went to bed it was fine. We had to move the couch to make room for a blow up bed, and under the couch was a terrible mess. I left a note for the cleaning crew so I'm hoping they cleaned it up. The breakfast was ok, but overall the stay was nice. Loved the late checkout and it was also nice to have an indoor pool/hotub.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Burleson, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at this establishment and have to say we will never go back there. The beds are hard. The room was relatively clean, but rather noisy. Could hear traffic noise very clearly. While the person we checked in with was very nice, the rest of the staff did not take the same course. Arrived for the breakfast buffet at 9:25, (it closes at 9:30) while I was cooking my pancakes the staff took up the rest of the food. So I had pancakes no syrup, no butter it had already been picked up, along with all the other foods. Someone eating in the room couldn't believe what was happening. The staff just shrugged and said we closed. a few minutes later, 5 different staff members walked out with food. When I explained to the front desk they said sorry. Very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Durant, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I made a reservation for my son for his honeymoon. I was offered a rate in the 130"s for a jacuzzi room. When i called a few days later and spoke with Stephanie she said it was impossible that i had been offered that rate for that room. She also said it was impossible to tell who took the reservation which later proved to be untrue. She said she could care less whether i wrote a scathing review on this site or any other. She also said she could care less whether i cancelled the reservation (I did). Unbelievable

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Gainesville? Share your experiences!