“Depressing hotel and was ecstatic to leave” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Fulton
San Antonio, Texas
“Depressing hotel and was ecstatic to leave”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

The location was convenient but sat directly on a busy road. The check in staff were helpful and polite. The room was clean and surprisingly large. It had fairly fresh paint, exhibited no obvious signs of disrepair, and was in overall good condition. I usually don't notice bed quality but these beds really were tough to sleep on. The neighbor's shower emitted a jet-engine whine louder than none I had ever heard before. It drowned out the TV and once scared us from sleep when it began to howl at 5:00 A.M. We showed at breakfast at 08:55 AM the first morning and got in line to place our order with the cook (quite an annoying system). At 09:10, as we were next in line, we were told the we would not be fed since breakfast is over at 9:00. I have never been treated like that in 25 years of travel. At least throw us together a few hash browns. I bet the stray cat outside got fed. The promising landscaping job needed about an hours worth of attention to bring above abandoned-house level but the weeds were at least very green and healthy. Housekeeping came by so late in the afternoon that we refused service. As we checked out we were not asked how our stay was -- a question that I imagine the staff had quickly learned to avoid.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast very good hot and cooked for you courtyard attractive, only stayed onenight but would definitely stay here again

• Stayed February 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I'd been there a few years before and returned for a weekend of fishing and "not being at work". The hotel is friendly, relaxing and in a great location. Maybe not the ideal place for teens and youngsters who need a lot to do, but great for those who want a slow paced comfortable place to call base for the weekend. The courtyard is beautiful and conversations are easy. One of the best things was the breakfast - real eggs, pancakes, hashbrowns cooked when you place the order. One negative - I booked on-line for $65 a night and the manager added $2.50 per night - when questioned he said, "that's the rate". $5 more isn't too much, but it isn't the advertised rate!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

Unfortunately I would not recommend this hotel to my friends. I will start out by saying we stayed there over Christmas for 6 nights and the hotel seemed eye pleasing from the road. Once in the room - which came with a small kitchen, we noticed that it was quite dirty. There were crumbs on the counter tops and the fridge door was covered in spots of dirt. The beds were only made up twice by the cleaning staff. I did leave money for a tip on the pillow everyday but would come back after leaving the hotel at 10am and be back by 8pm and the tip was still on the pillow and the room was not made up. On Christmas morning I left a nice tip on the pillow with a note saying thank you and Merry Christmas. I did get a nice note back saying thanks and the room was made up very nice. I found it concerning that the room was only made up twice in the 6 nights.
I had to call room service to come clean up the room the 4 other times.
The front desk area closes up like Fort Knox at 9pm. They don't even let you in the building, they open a little drive thru window to talk to you and you cannot use the house computer either after 9pm. (Bad area?) I didn't think so but maybe it is.
So, if you got no where else to go... go to the hotel across the street... it is no doubt more expensive but a much nicer stay.
We should have.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

I travel a lot by myself for business, but with family we make sure we get the best and lots of thanks to our friends that they recommend us Best western Inn by the bay at fulton. We don't mind spending on leisure travelling as we just want the best..But this hotel turned out to be the best in its own category as it was very affordable and we got so much after spending very little. All the newly renovated room were spik & span. Hotel staff was very kind and couteous and hot breakfast was really awesome. In short, we got the deal before black friday. :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

The only positive I can say about this hotel is that the staff was friendly. The rooms were ok, a little on the outdated side...but the biggest complaint and the reason we will not stay there again iwas the beds. The beds are extremely uncomfortable. I think sleeping on the floor would have been better. We initially reserved the room for two nights, but at 5:00am following our first night there, I was booking another room at another hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We are here now, 3/9/2009.
My wife is allergic to mold and the first room we were assigned was so thick with mold spores I could detect them. We went to the desk and they were very good and changed rooms for us and upgraded us to a suite at no extra cost. Even so, this is a tired old property and minimum maintenance is the catch word here.
We aren't sure we would stay here again.
Just beware!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Inn by the Bay? Share your experiences!