“Wonderful place ON the beach!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freeport
Cedar Sands Motel
You added Cedar Sands Motel to your Saves list
343 Gulf Beach dr., Freeport, TX 77541   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Freeport
Texas
“Wonderful place ON the beach!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed here July 4th. Nice place nice people so close to the beach, since it was hot we could go swim and walk back to the room when it got too hot. Has a restaurant right next door and you have to visit the Purple Cow down the street They have wonderful food and great prices.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cleveland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

After learning that my husband was going to be out of town on my birthday, my very good friend, her 2 kids and my 2 kids got the $130.00 room. It had a little table, a stove, microwave, coffee maker, and did I mention the view was feet away? The room was a little pricey, for what it had to offer, but the beach being right there made up for that. It is a cute little place, and we slept like babies at night. Couldn't hear a pin drop outside. There is a restaurant that just opened a stones throw away(try the choc. cheesecake). The man who operates it is getting a bad rap on all the reviews I have read. In my experience, he was a man of very little words. A bit on the non-approcahable side, so if you are looking for a warm and fuzzy experience from the guy who runs the place, it will not happen. However, the sheets were clean, and the room was clean. I will certIanly be back....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
wimberley texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We had to drive down from our home in the Hill Country to do some business regarding my mother's estate near Angleton, so we thot we'd add some pleasure into the trip by staying at the beach. We only had 4 major requirements: WiFi in the room (my husband does his work by computer, & we also had to do much of the estate business by Internet), pet-friendly (we never go anywhere w/out our sweet old, medium size dog), a smoking room, & near the beach.

My husband asked about the WiFi several times, & was assured that, certainly, it was "excellent" in the rooms. We reserved the room for 3 nites. When we got there, we checked in, paid for 3 nites, & went to our smoking room w/ our dog.
The room was cool & clean, but it was so TINY that it was hard to even maneuver around the bed, & there was no light in the "closet" --the only place with room to put a suitcase. The lower floor is BELOW GROUND LEVEL, so there are NO WINDOWS, & it's very DARK & close in the rooms. The TV was satellite, but was very difficult to navigate, & selection was limited. I could only get one cable news channel--& that took about 5 minutes to achieve.
Then THERE WAS NO INTERNET IN THE ROOM. It would've been impossible, totally untenable, for us to stay there w/out WiFi, which we had stipulated when we reserved.
My husband went immediately back to the desk, & was very rudely told that, "well, I have Internet in the office." And that, "we've had problems with it since Ike" (10 mos previous). He refused to return our money for that night, tho he did finally agree (after a lot of bickering) to return the other 2 nights' money, saying, "you're lucky that I'm going to return that much." He was surly & irritable all 3 times we had to deal with him.

We hadn't "canceled" the reservation. We showed up & checked in on time. We checked out immediately, not because we simply changed our plans, but because he'd lied on the phone & on his website about the services he provided.

We drove back to Angleton & checked into the Best Western there, & tho it wasn't on the beach, it made the trip pleasant, & it did have a very nice pool & hot tub, & was immaculate & hospitable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

McKinney,TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

My husband had never been to the ocean and due to my asthma I can't handle hot weather so we drove to Galveston during Febuary and all the motels were booked up due to the upcoming Mardi Gra Parade. We drove to Surfside stopping at a convenience store and asked the clerk where a nice motel was. She referred us to the "Cedar Sands Motel "and as soon as we located it we loved the beach front location. The owner was very kind and helpful towards us, and the price was very reasonable. Our room was small but adequate. Yes the beds do need to be updated but other than that it was cozy. We prayed that Hurricane Ike didn't damage it and plan on visiting in the future.

all my blessings, Linda

• Liked — the beach front location
  • Disliked — the hard bed
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

We booked the Cedar Sands based upon its proximity to the Surfside Beach, and especially the beach view we requested and was promised via telephone, as shown in the website. The price would have been reasonable under those conditions ($130 per night) but we were given a small first level suite that had absolutely no beach view, was dark and had leaking ceilings. Some of the food we brought with us was thus contaminated. Other guests were extremely noisy outside in the evening, with no influencing from management. This is not an establishment we will ever visit again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cedar Sands Motel? Share your experiences!