“Great Place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freeport
Cedar Sands Motel
Save Saved
You added Cedar Sands Motel to your Saves list
343 Gulf Beach dr., Freeport, TX 77541   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Freeport
Frisco, Texas
“Great Place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My mother and I stayed at Cedar Sands motel a couple of weeks ago and we had a great time. I have read some of the reviews about the room being dirty and the manager being rude. This is all UNTRUE! The rooms were VERY clean and tidy. It was so clean the room smelled like bleach. I have been to Hilton's and they don't smell that clean. The manager was very nice to us. He made sure that our needs were met. He put us in the best room by far. We looked outside everyday and had the perfect ocean view. I highly reccomend if you want to stay in Surfside stay at this motel. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel and wanted to be treated like royalty Surfside is not the place for you but if you are a normal down to earth person who is in touch with reality please go to Cedar Sands Motel. I will def be back in the future :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tomball, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our recent stay at Cedar Sands Motel! :) We stayed on the top floor and had a beautiful view of the ocean! Contrary to what some people might say, the manager isn't bad at all and he's totally harmless. He does have his rule about being on the balcony after 10, but we didn't have a problem with that at all. We even managed to sneak outside several times for a smoke in the middle of the night and had no problems whatsoever. That rule is just a common courtesy so those that are tired from their long day at the beach can rest and sleep. I understand and respect that. The room isn't huge but it meet our needs. We had no complaints about the floors and bed. To those that complain about sand in their room...Hello people!!! You are staying on the beach! Therefore, there will be sand on your feet and body that you will track into your room...it's inevitable!!! Deal with it or don't stay on the beach...it's just that simple!! It was a comfortable place for us to shower and sleep after a long, fun day at the beach! It even comes with a mini fridge and microwave! My only complaint was a lack of outlets to plug our phone chargers into but we made it work. A comfortable and enjoyable stay is exactly what we were looking for and we are actually planning on staying at Cedar Sands again within the next month. I totally recommend this place for any couple that wants a nice get away at a beach side motel that's not too expensive! Beats Galveston's insane prices any day!! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

The rooms on the top floor may be fine. We asked for a smoking accommodation and those rooms are on the bottom floor. Half underground. The only view is of tires in the parking lot. The tile floors were wet with humidity the entire time. There was sand in the bed when we first pulled back the bedspread. There is no beach breeze that's going to reach back into that underground courtyard of the bottom floor. I do NOT recommend this place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We had another great stay at Cedar sands! :) Our first trip was in July for a family vacation and after being as happy as we were with our first stay, my Husband chose this motel to spend our wedding anniversary. He had no problem booking a room, but this time we opted for the single since it was only us. We were set up in room 207, which is dead center of the upper balcony & provides for a beautiful view. The room is a bit small, however offers all the amenities one would want; including a mini fridge & microwave. We booked this room for 3 nights, but unfortunately due to the AC units needing a cleaning, the room had a bit of a musty odor & aggravated my sinuses after the first night. My Husband spoke with the manager and he was very friendly & accommodating, and moved quickly to resolve the issue. After not being able to fix the problem, and because there were no other single rooms available, we were upgraded at no extra charge to a king suite!!! My Husband expressed his gratitude for him going above and beyond, and his response to my Husband was "It's no problem, and if you're happy, I'm happy!".... :) I've read some of the other reviews about him being a "rude" man, and I have NEVER gotten this vibe. Yes he may be a little quiet & too the point, but not at all "unfriendly". He's always been very accommodating & has made both of our stays at Cedar sands pleasant. And as far as the rule about no-one on the balcony after 10 pm, he does that out of respect for the people who are there to sleep. It's common courtesy to walk 50 feet to the lighted up picnic area next to the beach if you wish to socialize & continue to have fun after dark. My Husband and I both spent several evenings talking & smoking on the balcony QUIETLY...and nothing was ever said to us. It's more a rule for people who have no respect & are loud. There are also BBQ pits for use during the day. Overall, I have been very pleased thus far with our stays at Cedar Sands and WILL stay there again. If you want a 5 star hotel, then pay the price. This is a nice place with very reasonable rates! (PICTURES BELOW will be of the single room we stayed in the first night & then the King Suite we were upgraded to)

Room Tip: Rooms dead center of the balcony offer for a beautiful view, however are also dead center with const...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My brother, son and I stayed here for a weekend of fishing. The management was helpful in getting us settled in and keyed us in on some possible fishing spots. The rooms were clean and meet our needs for a place to sleep, get showers, relax between fishing and watch the baseball playoffs on the satellite tv. The suite we stayed in had a complete kitchen with full size ice box, stove/oven, microwave and even a kitchen sink. The king sized bed and queen fold away sleeper sofa provided us with plenty of sleeping space and a restful and quite sleep. The rooms are somewhat small but adequate. In room wi-fi helped in checking out fishing reports. The beach is very close and easy to walk to from the motel. The manager offered us floats and toys to use on the beach and attended our needs. Barbecue pits are provided in the patio for the guest. . I would give it five stars if it offered a free continental breakfast but there are several restuarants close by. Over all, a reasonable priced and enjoyable place to stay. Hope to come back soon.

Room Tip: Single rooms are small.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

This place, while practically on the beach, secluded, and with a very nice ambiance, is run horribly, and I'm being generous when I say "horribly." The manager/property owner is inflexible, rude, and unaccommodating. I spoke with him on the phone several times before booking, first we couldn't bring our dog, and then when I told him my parents were treating us to a vacation he replied, "Just bring check or cash, it'll be fine." (I have it written down.) Upon arrival I presented the check my parents wrote made out to Cedar Sands and he flatly replied, "We don't accept checks." I tried reminding him of our prior conversation but he insisted that he had never told me any such thing, that they hadn't accepted checks for years, and didn't even have a bank account for check deposits exclaiming, "Why would I have told you that when we don't accept checks!" We composed ourselves, moved on, and I was forced to pay with my own credit card or go find a different motel. Even after this snag and getting his money, he was rude, unwelcoming, and unkind; rushing us off and out of the office as if we had the plague and were lepers intruding on his valuable time. This was our first vacation as a couple and we accidentally locked ourselves out of the room while stepping out at night for some cool beach air - leaving our food, car keys, phones, everything inside - and when I timidly knocked on the manager's door he opened up after about 5 minutes. I apologized profusely and told him we locked ourselves out and he immediately put his hand to his face and sighed, turned straight around practically slamming the door in my face and then marched back out not saying a word. I trailed after him apologizing, he opened the room and I tried to say thank you and express my gratitude but it was unheard as he jerked the door open, turned on his heel and marched back to his room in absolute silence; no 'you're welcome' or any acknowledgement. This guy is a sad, unhappy little ogre with nothing better to do than power-trip and make his "guests" feel like outcasts and burdens. Never again. Don't stay here if you like friendliness and kindness... you won't get it. (Also, there was a dead roach on the floor and a hair on my pillow.)

Room Tip: Don't stay here, but if you have a tough hide then any room is just like the other. Ask for a vi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

This great place has gone down rapidly since becoming a corporate-owned property. There is no longer an atmosphere of friendliness. The manager seems to be simply biding time. He is rude and unresponsive. I asked for a blanket to make up the sofa bed, which is advertised as a BED, and was told "do not have extra blankets, people tear them up" and was offered a bed spread which is not washed between customers. His rule is "no one on the deck after 10pm"; he sent 5 unaccompanied women more than 50 yards away to an unlighted, unsecure picnic table because they were outside after 10. His edict was move or leave. Our reservation for the next night was not honored, and we were forced to find another property.My son and my grandson both put their toes in the Gulf for the first time from this hotel. Will not be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Cedar Sands Motel? Share your experiences!