“One of the worst hotel!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cambridge Inn and Suites Freeport

You added Cambridge Inn and Suites Freeport to your Saves list
Cambridge Inn and Suites Freeport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1015 West 2nd Street, Freeport, TX 77541 (Formerly Country Hearth Inn)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Freeport
Dallas , TX
“One of the worst hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

the room looks looked nobody lived there for years, rusted pipe, shower; thick dust . not mention crazy price!
Avoid it!

Room Tip: Never live here!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Terrible hotel for the price. The staff was very rude - the staff was chit-chatting on the phone during our check-in (it was a personal call, not a business one). We were charged more than what our original quote was with no offer of an explanation. The room was disgusting. It had a very musty smell. The bathroom was lined with mold, and there was a dead insect next to the toilet. There was a hole in the bathroom wall where the toilet paper dispenser used to be. Additionally, the desk near the bed was broken. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially for how much we were charged for it.

• Stayed September 2010

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We checked in, went to our room and started looking for another place to stay. The bed looked like it came from a dumpster. The pillows had marks on them where people drooled. There was mold and mildew on the bathroom walls. Bugs on the carpets. The lobby where breakfast is supposed to be served had the box of Corn Flakes sitting on the back counter open and next to a huge pile of old newspapers. We left our dogs in the room for a short period of time while we looked for a new place to stay. Some Fishermen told us they cried the whole time that we were gone. They didn't like the hotel either. We went down Highway 288 about 5 miles away and found a Holiday Inn, a Hampton Inn and best of all a LaQuinta Inn. The LaQuinta Inn charged the same but did not charge for the dogs as the Country Hearth had. It was cleaner also. I would not even recommend the Country Hearth to my worst enemy. Trust me when I say, you do not want to stay there. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I checked in, the air conditioner in the room did not work, but from the looks and horrible smell of the room I did not want to stay in any room in this roach motel, even a room in which the air conditioner did actually work. All I needed was a few hours sleep before boarding a boat at the dock across the street, so I just slept in the car with the engine running and the air conditioner on (which does work). If I needed anything more I would have tried to find a different hotel. This place is the perfect location to stay the night before or after a trip on the boats at the dock across the street. The only positive thing I have to say other than the location is that they did not hesitate to give me my money back after I declined their offer to put me in another room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Central Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

First, keep in mind that Freeport is not a major tourist destination, and has few travel amenities. I was looking to stay on the west side of town, which has nothing other than this property, as far as I can determine.

I have simple needs - a comfortable bed, comfortable room temperature, functioning plumbing, and a decent shower. Preferably a television in good working condition and, ideally, free internet access. In my first stay at this property, all of the above were fully available. The bed was quite comfortable and the shower had lots of pressure and hot water. The heater worked well. All for an AAA rate of <$50 before tax.

The owners are, let's call it "low key." Breakfast room/lobby was locked at 7:00 am, although breakfast is stated to start at 6:00 am. I rang the night bell and the manager came out, apologized because it was a very slow day (3 cars in the lot), and made fresh coffee. Breakfast was basic cereal, milk, Sunny Delight, coffee, white bread with a toaster, butter and jelly. All I need.

Down side to my particular room: bathroom fan is deafening, and runs if the light is on. So I turned it on only when needed.

In summary, this is a nice basic motel, and the only one I can find on the western side of Freeport. If you want more amenities, you will need to go to Lake Jackson, NE of Freeport, along the road opposite the massive chemical plant, which has a row of at least half a dozen national chains. A bit more expensive but not bad either, in my past experience.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

We were traveling through and thought a night stay in Freeport would be nice. We read the reviews and didn't see many problems. The lobby looked clean and the manager was pleasant enough. Our rate was just over $60 and didn't expect much. We requested and received a non-smoking room on the second floor. My wife arrived in the room first and ask if I smelled anything. I said "stale smoke but lets turn on the a/c and dry out the air maybe we can get some of the smell out". I sat on the worn out love seat while my wife sat on the bed with her legs on the bed. I noticed little bites on my legs. I had about 3-6 bites and then realized fleas on my legs. I went to the bathroom and found cigarette ashes on the floor in the corners, need I remind you that it was a non-smoking room. We decided to leave and let the a/c do its magic. While in the car we could still smell the stale cigarette smoke and blend of stale grease and alcohol. We smelled like a bar and grill. About an hour later we arrived to find the smell even worse and guess the colder air made the fleas madder. We checked out and told them of our problems and they wanted to put us in another room. It is my experience if there are fleas in one room, there are fleas in all the room. We didn't want to sleep with bug repellant on us. The bed looked alittle lumpy as well.

• Disliked — bugs, dirtiness, smoke in room, stale nasty smell
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

Nice place to stay if you're fishing with Elliott's or one of the other charters. Basic hotel, but right across from the boat dock and right next to a decent restaurant and a convenience store. Pool on site. I didn't need the car for days at a time. I found the staff very helpful. I have stayed here twice for a week at a time and have booked again for next week. It's very busy on the weekends, more quiet during the week.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — Nothing really. I had limited needs and the hotel filled my expectations very well
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Cambridge Inn and Suites Freeport? Share your experiences!