“Reasonable rate, great location!” 3 of 5 stars

Sunday House Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624   |
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Marion, Texas
“Reasonable rate, great location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

My family and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Sunday House Inn and enjoyed ourselves very much. You can't beat the location, it was great to be able to park the cars and walk most of the trip. I was very wary after reading previous reviews, but found the Inn to be clean and comfortable as well as one of the few places in town to have a two bedroom suite which fit our needs perfectly. The kids had a blast in the pool. We were pleasantly surprised at the variety of fare at the continental breakfast, but wished they would have had it availabe a little later than 9:30 during the week. I would recommend the Sunday House Inn and will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Cypress, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

Just came home from a stay at this hotel. We were traveling with my parents and two small children and explained this when the reservation was made. I asked for a suite and were told this suite had two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. My husband and I offered to take the sleeper sofa. The hotel staff knew we intended to use this sleeper sofa as I had inquired as to linens for the sleeper sofa just after checkin.

After having dinner in town and coming back to the room and watching TV for awhile, my husband and I were tired and decided to pull out the sleeper sofa. It would not come open. We finally both pulled on it with all our might and finally something snapped and one end of it became somewhat loose, but we still could not open the sleeper sofa. We finally pulled up away from the wall, turned it upside down, and my husband "operated" on it. We then found that the whole thing had been wired to where it could not be opened.

After removing the wiring, we realized that it was wired because it was in such bad shape it really could not be used. Because my parents and children were already asleep in the other beds, we had no choice but to sleep on this thing. The bed was at such an angle that it would put your head near the floor and your feet up high. So we decided to put our heads where our feet should have gone. But in addition to this terrible slant, there were also metal pieces poking thru the mattress and bars hitting your body in places that were not at all comfortable. It was a perfectly miserable night. I would have been more comfortable on the hard floor.

Another issue that wasn't totally the fault of management is that there was some sort of motorcycle gathering in Fredericksburg this evening. There were motorcycles everywhere. They parked their trucks pulling trailers across all of the parking spaces, and then parked their motorcycles everywhere they found a space -- all along the walkways, the corridor for the ice machine, under the stairways, etc. They were everywhere. Then the people that owned these motorcycles stayed up the majority of the night having a large party both indoors and outdoors. I felt like we were sleeping in a very bad neighborhood based on all the hooping and hollaring going on all night.

The next morning upon checkout my husband and I went to the front office to speak to the manager, Shari. We told her about our incident with the bed and even brought her all the pieces of wire that had held out bed shut. She explained to us that she was sorry, but that they didn't know we were going to use the sleeper sofa. I told her that this was not true, as I had asked about the sleeper sofa when making the reservations and also that I had asked about the linens for the sleeper sofa the day before. I even told her the name of the person who took my original reservation. She told me she was "sorry" but that there was nothing she could do because she wasn't the one who made took the reservation. My husband inquired why, as the manager, there was nothing she could do, and she still said all she could do was apologize.

My back still aches and I have felt foggy all day because of lack of sleep. We were charged $139.99 plus tax for this miserable room. If Shari had truly been "sorry", she would have done something to make things right, or at least made us feel better about the situation.

I believe that this establishment knows that their town is very popular and there is always another customer waiting in line for a room at their inn. So I know that this review will probably be of no detriment to them in the future. However, I felt that I should warn others that if at all possible, please give your business to another establishment. Sunday House does not deserve your business.

• Stayed May 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

We stayed at the Sunday house Inn. It was our first visit to Fredericksburg and we could not have asked for a better location. The hotel is right on main street---we parked the car and walked the rest of our trip. The hotel staff was very nice, the room was very clean with new carpet. The breakfast buffet was great!

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2005

I stayed at the Sunday House the first part of January of this year. I had already made my reservations when I read the reviews here so was a bit leary. But I was happily surprised after staying. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, large and nice. The rooms were just remodeled and they were painting the exterior. I will stay here again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2004

This Inn had several problems most of which are with the cleaning staff and maintenance people. We had to stay in a smoking room because we had 2 dogs with us. This was not a concern for us at all when we booked the room. Many hotels have smoking rooms that I have stayed in before and they smell fine and are very clean. This was not the case with this room. The smell was overwhelming and 2 bottles of Fabreeze later it was still bad. This was not the only issue, the hand towels had ashes on them and all the linens stunk of smoke. The shower in our room did not work and the hair dryer kept falling off the wall. My husband asked for a change of room and was told no that they have 3 maintenance people on site and the shower would be fixed. I then went and insisted that we have another room, detailing all the issues with this one. The second room still smelled like a dirty ash tray but the shower worked. There was broken plastic from the light above the sink on the floor and the counter top. The linens, still smelled but no ashes this time and the toilet ran constantly. After changing rooms several of the staff gave us dirty looks as we came and went from the inn. The whole stay was very uncomfortable. With so many maintenance and cleaning people the Inn should be in much better condition than we encountered. The Owner of Sunday House and the management staff should stay a night or two in their Inn to see what their customers are experiencing. We will not stay here again and will not recommend Sunday House as a good place to stay.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2004

The rooms are dirty and not well kept. When you call to let the front desk know they offer no solution or appology. It's a fun town with lots to do but I found myself so upset with the hotel and employees that I couldn't enjoy myself. Save yourself the trouble and find a clean friendly place to stay.

Been to Sunday House Inn? Share your experiences!