“Waste of Money” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Waste of Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent 224.87 for a king suite and it was no better then a stay at a Hampton Inn. Actually the Hampton Inn was better because the breakfast at the Hapton Inn includes yogurt and at the Inn on Barons Creek you need to buy one from the gift store. We will NEVER stay there again and it was our 32nd wedding anniversary. What a let down! We heard great things about the hotel, but dollar for dollar, it was not worth it. It was not better then a Hampton Inn. Really!

The Spa was it's saving grace and we would do that again but stay at a different hotel.

Room Tip: We had a view of the front parking lot, not a very nice view of the creek or the outdoors. The room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KammieR, General Manager at Inn on Barons Creek, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay. I am sorry you were disappointed but certainly appreciate your input. I am also happy to hear you were able to experience our wonderful Spa and were pleased.

Kammie Robertson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
FRENCH AZILUM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Came to Fredericksburg for the wildflowers...there wasnt any. Too early for peaches...did get strawberries at Marburgers though! Husband did NOT like the idea of picking strawberries but he held the box.

Went to some of the Vineyards. Messina Hof and Grape Creek were very nice and we did enjoy their wines. Our purchases should pay for an employees salary for the next week or so! The hamburgers at Alamo Springs Cafe are not to be missed. They have deep fried avocados that are yum yum! Found out about these places from the front desk-- great suggestions.

The hotel hasnt changed. We were delighted to see that it was still very clean and again we believe that its in a great location for walking to main street.

I could not sleep and hence, my review at this late hour. My feathers are ruffled because I had to witness an employee being attacked by a guest. Apparently they were asked to move a vehicle from the very front of the hotel to a parking spot and the man came UNGLUED!! Mister Guest...you need to realize that you are NOT the owner of the hotel. You are a guest. You dont make the rules, you stay within them. You dont have to stay again at this nice hotel, you can stay somewhere else. Did you see me sitting on the couch? Or didnt you? Or did you act the way you did because you saw women in the lobby and this was one way to act like a "man". A REAL man would have moved his vehicle without ANY issues and thanked the employee for watching out for their vehicle. (What has happened to our society to be so ugly and mean?) Mister Guest, you made it very clear to EVERYONE in the lobby (from your yelling) that you were going to hurt this employee, you threatened her. You asked for her name and told her that you were going to name her in a bad review on this site. I hope that you NEVER explode at your wife/children the way you did this employee for you could be jailed for your uncontrolled behavior. Yes, the police would have taken you away. You really need to get some help.

To the management of Inn on barons creek and to the travelers that read trip advisor...if he follows thru with his ranting...IGNORE him. There is nothing wrong with this hotel or the employee that was doing her job.

Unfortunately from what I have been reading in some of the posts for this hotel and MANY others, people are not being objective. I dont believe that this site was designed for what it has become. You get your feelings hurt for one reason or another and you then have to try and punish someone namely a good hotel or restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us while visiting Fredericksburg.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay for teh second time, and sorry that another guest ruffled your feathers.
It always makes the staff happy to read when we have made a guests experience a good one. We look forward to seeing you next time you come to Fredericksburg!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I returned for the evening at 930 to find no parking remaining. My decision was to leave my car in an area where others parked during the day. It was not obstructing any traffic and was not marked as no parking. Not ideal but no body hurt. At 11pm my wife and I were awoken by Cindy the night auditor demanding that we move our car, she had just come onto shift. I explained that there were not other spots upon returning to the hotel. Cindy answered by saying if there was an emergency my car would be pushed out of the way by emergency vehicles. She agreed that there was no red stripe and no signs saying no parking. Needless to say not what I expected when I booked this hotel. I asked to talk with a manager and was told there were none that could be contacted. After moving my car I explained my dissatisfaction and she informed me that she had spoken to 2 managers about the situation, wait I thought Cindy just informed me there were none I could speak with. Very disappointing staff member. Please remember this is a service industry. Please hire friendly staff and don't call your customers at 11 pm at night to ask them to move a car that is very legally parked.

Rm 224
4/27

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. I want to first point out we take the safety and security of all our guest very seriously.
I do want to apologize for the late hour that you were disturrbed but if there indeed had been an emergency situation your car would have blocked emergency vehicles from the entrance. I also want to apologize that you felt that me staff was less than friendly, I assure you they want all guest to feel welcome and enjoy their stay. I hate that this one incident ruined that for you.

kammie Robertson
Sherman, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We have been racking our brains trying to figure out how this hotel has gotten such high ratings, and we just can't. We were there during the week and the hotel was not full or super busy.

The service was TERRIBLE. The clerk that we dealt with on our visit must have been having a very, very bad two days. We will just say she must have missed the class on customer service and DID NOT want to be at work. She was horrible. I usually always ask for a room away from the elevator, but I was so taken off guard by the lack of customer service and her attitude, that I forgot. And the 1st room we got was next door to the elevator, so we went back down stairs and the next room she assigned us was 301, the room furthest from the elevator. Which was a good location and very quite.

The only good thing that we could find about the hotel was that it had a good location to the downtown area. You could walk to downtown if you wanted, but beware there are no sidewalks in some areas. (I can see what people were talking about in other reviews about the spa. The walk is on a path from the main hotel (not sidewalks) and it is bumpy and there are exposed roots and rough terrain.)

The lobby area is clean and updated.

The room needs some work. The room was a two room suite. It had the bed area where the a/c unit was and then a seating area with a ceiling fan and then the bathroom. It had a king sized bed, which was the worst bed we have slept in. The bed was very hard and springy. The sides of the bed were so broken down that you had to be careful getting out, because it would collapse and shoot you out of the bed. If you got to close to the edges while you were sleeping, it would roll you out of the bed.

The room with the a/c unit in it stayed cool, but you could tell a temperature difference when you walked into the sitting area and then into the bathroom. (And we were there during a cold snap. We are talking temps in the 40s-60s.) I could not imagine how hot that room would have been in a Texas summer.

The couch in the seating area was also broken down and uncomfortable.

There was a flat screen in the seating area and tube style in the bedroom area.

Now for the bathroom. There was a large Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, which was also the shower. You have to step over the side wall of the tub to get in. That was not easy. In fact, I fell or slipped almost every time I got in and out of it. (I feel sure that there has been an ambulance called a few times for people falling trying to get in and out of those tubs!) The finish on the bottom of the tub was peeling in some places and looked a little gross. The sink area was a nice area, but the counter had some type of white residue on it. Not sure what it was, but the cleaning lady must have noticed and scrubbed it off when she cleaned the room.

We never ate the breakfast, so I can't tell you about it. I can say that we are in our late 30's and I'm pretty sure we were the youngest one there, by half everyone else’s age. Not that that is a bad thing, we enjoyed talking to some of the little old people, but it does seem to draw a lot of older folks.

Basically, we did not like or enjoy this hotel and we will be staying somewhere else when we come back to Fredericksburg. If they updated the beds, couches and fixed some of the other issues, it would be an ok place to stay, if the price was right. We have traveled a lot and this was one of our worst experiences and we are not ones that are hard to please. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The lower the room number, the further from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us during your recent visit to Fredericksburg. We are sorry that you were dissappointed in the hotel but do appreciate your input and candid comments.

We alsways hate to hear when we haven't lived up to the expectations of our guests but, we use each review as a training and learning tool to get it right next time.

lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is my 4th time to stay at the Inn on Barons Creek. The rooms are clean, the free breakfast is good for a hotel breakfast, the lobby is nice and clean, and the backyard is very different for a hotel. After reading some of the reviews I decided to sit in the lobby with my 2 friends and "people watch". What an education this has been. The hotel has 1 person working after about 5 pm. She was so very busy answering ALL the phone calls, checking in guests, guiding them to restaurants, getting extra pillows, blankets, towels and taking the money for gift shop purchases! The real eye-opener was how many incoming guests were so rude and demanding when checking in. One of the guests starting yelling at her that they wanted a state rate because they were a state employee. The employee was professional and did not lose her cool, as the guest was getting louder and more abusive. I saw children running thru the lobby screaming, jumping on and off of the luggage cart and at one point they almost tipped it over before ramming it into the glass doors. Good God!!?? The parents were at one point nowhere around, and when they did appear the children were acting no better. This is a very busy hotel.

As for believing that the employees were "non-existent"in a past review, I assure you they were doing errands for the guests.

I can understand why you MIGHT believe that the employees are not friendly. Think about it, you disrespect the employee at check in, and then you want them to be ultra nice and friendly to you. It doesnt work that way!! You cant have it both ways, you just insulted them. You were rude and abusive. I heard you. You need to take responsibility for the way YOU approach everyone, everyday, and what comes out of your mouth.

This was our concensus--#1 Very important. Cleanliness of the rooms and hotel in general. #2 Location of hotel relative to town and activities. #3 Front desk knowledge of the hotel and town. We do not feel that breakfast, flat screen TVs, lack of movie channels, "modern" furnishings or staff "personalities" were of importance. We do NOT go to hotels to eat breakfast and watch tv. Yes, that is something that we can do at home. As for the staff, if they can give accurate directions to where we want to go, suggest something to see or do that we do not know of, and give us some great dinner/lunch reccommendations, than that is good enough for us.

May I suggest to all that you stop nitpicking and trying to find fault in everything and everyone. Just go with the flow and enjoy your visit no matter where you travel. If you will look for the good in everyone and every place instead of the bad, you will have more enjoyment, less stress and YOU will be definately happier.

My opinion of this hotel had not changed. This is still one of the better hotels in Fredericksburg, and the location is one of the best. Prices vary, but that is understandable. This is a business. Be flexible in your dates when looking for a room. Eventhough I was told they were sold out for the weekend that I really wanted, Cindy was able to find me something about 2 weeks after I called. I agree with one of the reviewers...leave your big city attitude behind. You are coming to a small town, RELAX and ENJOY!

Room Tip: Since you will be busy all day...it doesnt really matter. Does it??
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had a very good experience and don't understand the "disappointment" or "overrated" comments, especially for the price. Very nice suite, breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and all the other normal amenities along with plates and silverware, not the "all-to-common" styrofoam plates/bowls with plastic utensils.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience while staying with us on your recent trip to Fredericksburg. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I would like to say that I have seen many of the reviews that have seem bad and I myself would like to say I believe its the people that have stayed have a problem or don't know anything about travel. I visit Fredericksburg many times and I stayed at this hotel on a day that seem to be very busy. I myself was told that no late check in was allowed but can see why. If I stayed later how would others get to check in so understandable.

The breakfast was very good and staff handled themselves well, I would say. I was shocked how some of the guest piled food on their plates as if they had not eaten for days. I understand breakfast is free but not to take advantage. I read a comment about having to clean ones own mess. I would say I believe one should clean a mess they created as for others to sit when you leave.
I know at many places I have been to I had to clean my table. I believe ikea is that way:) As for people wanting certain things I believe u should go and eat out
Shame on you for asking for more some hotels I go to I am lucky if I get bread and juice.

To my understanding this is not a full service hotel so why would any traveler staying there expect wait staff and other amenity s that a full service hotel would offer

I would like to say that this hotel is very clean and I was amazed how clean with as many guest as I saw staying there. And the grounds were kept clean and well maintained. Where I enjoyed a bottle of wine one night. And a coffee in the am.

I myself had some maintenance issues but then again who does not even in our own homes. I had to remind myself that i was at a hotel that is very busy and I am sure everything is constantly running and things will give out so I won't say anything about that. I have not even fixed my garage which has been down for a month and I am the only one that uses it.

Many times I was helped by different front desk people and they were friendly and well informed of the town. I never had a problem with any of them. But i could understand why some would have thought they were rude at times. One day as I sat in their lobby I was shocked how some people demanded things and were very rude at check in and just in general. I thought that when one traveled one would be in good spirits well not some of these people. I know that the behavior I saw of many was not of good spirits. I believe if I was the agent I would have not handled it as well as they did. I honestly believe with some of the bad reviews about the desk that I read was because of the behavior of the guest.

What I liked about this hotel is it did not feel like a city hotel but a hotel that is part of the surroundings . I believe when one travels he or she does not need so many amenities. We go to spend time with our families not watch tv and play on computers we do that at home already. And the decor is very home like or country not big city so people traveling to Fredericksburg realize its a small town.

To the staff keep up the good work and just realize you can not make everyone happy. Keep the rooms clean which I believe are some of the cleanest I have ever been in. Keep trying to keep those smiles with some of the nasty travelers u come in contact with and do the best you can.

So I would recommend this hotel to everyone visiting and realize where you are at. Also be fair to any of the places you visit in this very friendly town. I know I enjoy my visits many times and I am just upset to that many of us city people act and behave there. Yes they need our business but they do not need our nasty city behavior I know that is why I come here.

To the management if this hotel u have a good staff and it shows that they take much pride in this hotel. I hope that u treat everyone's of its employees as well as they treat your investment. It was amazing what I saw and what they had to deal with. I hope that people read this and feel ashamed of how we act when we travel and realize its hard to deal with our needs and such high demands.

• Stayed April 2013
KammieR, General Manager at Inn on Barons Creek, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
First let me thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post a review about your stay or stays with us it is greatly appreciated. Then I want to thank you for such positive feedback. I am so aware of what an amazing staff we have at the hotel in every area, and how extremely hard they work to try and make every guest have a good experience. We are sorry when we don't succeed and so delighted to hear when we do. Each and everyone of them will read your comments with such excitement. We can't wait to have you return to enjoy our hotel and our wonderful "Little" city. Again I can't say thank you enough.

Kammie Robertson

Been to Inn on Barons Creek? Share your experiences!