“Five stars across the board!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fredericksburg Herb Farm - Sunday Haus Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fredericksburg Herb Farm - Sunday Haus Cottages
You added Fredericksburg Herb Farm - Sunday Haus Cottages to your Saves list
405 Whitney, Fredericksburg, TX 78624   |
Ranked #11 of 84 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Five stars across the board!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Herb Farm this weekend. It takes a lot to impress me let alone for me to take the time to write a review! Everything from our cute and very clean little cottage to our couples massage and the exceptionally delicious food at the bistro were worth 5 stars. It's hard to find places that pay so much attention to detail in all services that are offered. We will most certainly be back!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Weatherford, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stopped in for lunch and was very pleasantly surprised. Our server, Darrell, was exceptional. Both meals were delicious. Next time we will stay in one of the cottages and try out the spa.

Enjoyed our walk through the herb garden and, of course, couldn't resist a couple of purchases in the gift shop.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleyville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This facility is exceptional, my husband and I stayed here for three nights and did not want to leave. Everything was just perfect, the room was so clean and so well thought out, comfortable bed, great shower, great set up for in room fridge, coffee, microwave. Amazing food at the Bistro, we enjoyed every meal we had there from Friday dinner to Sunday Brunch. The staff was just wonderful from check-in to service in the Bistro to housekeeping. We also enjoyed sitting on the porch of our cabin every morning having coffee and every evening with a glass of wine, just so peaceful and relaxing. Probably one of the best places we have stayed by far.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful, relaxing, friendly, delicious retreat. My daughter and I arrived in time for lunch, which offered a variety of yummy choices . Our lunch experience was exceptional in part by the professional, attentive service provided by Darrell. Food was delicious ! We then wandered the gardens until Spa time.. I had the Hill Country Massage and Ilsa made the experience exceptional. My daughter is still raving about her Body Polish ritual.. We spent the night in one of the cottages.. We were charmed by the front porch with swing, the design and comfort of the room and bathroom. Next day, I had a "dry" pedicure. I haven't had one before and it was so relaxing I fell asleep and my feet have never looked better. Kudos to Brianna. My daughter also loved her manicure from Brianna. We liked the organic and healthier spa products used. Then it was time to leave Sigh!!! A fabulous memory for the two of us and a plan to return is in the making!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The facility met my expectations and above. The relaxing and comfortable cottages give the place a more than "just a lodging" quality. Every member of the staff helps to create a home away from home feeling. I plan to come back and tell all of my "stressed out" friends to visit this lodging facility.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Granbury, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I know the Fredericksburg Herb Farm Sunday Haus Cottages have a lot of fans. I also know the owner/manager will respond to any review here that is three stars or less. With that in mind, I hope they will respond to my criticisms with improvements for future guests. I love Fredericksburg and I would like to see this place succeed. I waited a week to write this review so it would be thoughtful and balanced.

We stayed in a cottage (#13) over this past Labor Day weekend – Saturday and Sunday nights. The cottage is attractive, although I personally would prefer something soft (carpet or at least some throw rugs) on the floor. Luckily I had my slippers with me. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my shower shoes, and the uneven surface of the natural rock surface in the shower was hard on my feet (I’m prone to stress fractures there). Management might want to consider making a rubber mat available, or you the guest might want to throw down a towel. Like another reviewer, I would like to see two of the four pillows provided be firm rather than fluffy (or have two additional firmer pillows available with the other extra bedding, so guests have some choices). However, none of these factors are a part of my rating (although if I included them, the rating would be even lower).

A bigger issue was the air conditioning unit. The cold air blows directly onto the bed, and it rattles incessantly. I ended up having to turn it off completely. The ceiling fan was tricky to adjust so that it would circulate air but also not make any noise (you make the adjustments primarily with a slider switch next to the on-off wall switch). Needless to say, with a high of 98 degrees those days, we were uncomfortable all night.

The refrigerator also rattled (although I was able to block this out by wrapping it with a spare blanket) and the door to the bathroom squeaked. The next day (Sunday), I let the front desk know of the problems when we came to brunch. I can understand that the a/c unit and ceiling fan might have taken some time to fix – but nothing was done about the easily-fixable squeaky bathroom door. So, we spent yet another very uncomfortable night and I did not sleep well.

Another problem was the food. I was aware that with the timing of our stay, our $199/night rate for Saturday night included “complimentary Bistro Brunch (maximum of two entries per cottage) on Sunday from 10am – 2pm” (quoted from the form we signed upon arrival). Since even 10 AM is a little late for us for breakfast, my husband drank one of the two containers of orange juice in the refrigerator (which was not restocked for Monday – more on that in a bit) and we both ate some food we had brought along from home.

We had planned to attend church with my parents Sunday morning, and on the advice of the nice young gentleman who checked us in, we made a reservation for brunch for 12:30pm, because he told us they expected to be very busy that holiday weekend. When we got there at 12:30, it took some time to be seated, and we were VERY disappointed to find they had already run out of not one but BOTH of our first choices for brunch (Crab Eggs Benedict and Quiche Du Jour). What we had (regular Eggs Benedict, and the vegetable omelet) was very good, but I am surprised at the poor planning that resulted in the lack of food and an insufficient number of servers. We were also nearly overcharged as the server miscalculated on the bill for my parents’ items (which we knew we would need to pay for, along with our beverages).

I believe this poor planning also had ramifications on what we received for breakfast Monday morning. I suspect the kitchen was nearly out of food after brunch, but no one bothered to go to the store to provide for the guests who’d be there Monday morning.

Again, according to both the Herb Farm website and the handout we received on check-in, our $159 rate for Sunday night included a “goodie basket” for Monday morning. When I asked on the phone while making reservations what that might contain, I was told it *might* contain some of the Herb Farm’s cinnamon rolls, which I understood were quite good.

So – imagine my disappointment when we found a bag on the counter next to the coffee maker Sunday evening that contained: two very small pasties, each about an inch square; two 2-ounce packages of Plantar nut & chocolate trail mix; a green apple (maybe a Granny Smith); an orange with skin that was still greenish; and ONE 6-ounce container of Yoplait Original Mountain Blueberry yogurt. It’s alright not to get the cinnamon rolls I’d hoped for, but ONE yogurt for TWO people to share????

What’s more - whoever delivered the bag did not bother to put it in the refrigerator, which made me question the safety of eating the yogurt. They did see my handwritten note requesting more coffee, creamer, and sugar for the coffee maker, and we did get two out of three (they did not give us any more of the dried creamer that came in individual packets, which meant we couldn’t drink most of the coffee). I didn’t think I needed to ask for more orange juice, but I guess I should have, since the bottle my husband drank the morning before was not replaced.

So, the bottom line: Given the myriad of better choices in Fredericksburg, I personally would not stay at this location again. This may be a good place to stay if you are someone who enjoys spas and doesn’t mind a very minimal breakfast (and yes, I know you get brunch on Sunday, but if you have to wait until 10 AM to get it, it’s not a breakfast, in my opinion). I definitely feel the Sunday night rate should be lower than it is, since you get so little for breakfast Monday morning. It’s not fair to charge the same as for a Monday-Thursday night stay.

I do wish I had read some of the reviews here first. And by the way, I did look for the promised staff “on property every day from 9am – 5pm” on Monday morning, but did not find anyone.

I would give the restaurant another try, as the food we had there was good – but this is a review of the cottages.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shylo A, Manager at Fredericksburg Herb Farm - Sunday Haus Cottages, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We appreciate you bringing any issues you had to our attention and are sincerely sorry that you did not completely enjoy your stay. We always appreciate the opportunity to improve in any way and take all reviews, five star or not, seriously.

Our cottages have been designed to fit into the overall spa and farm theme, as well as provide a relaxing retreat for all of our guests. We understand the concrete floors can be cold, each cottage is provided with comfortable non-slip socks for our guests to enjoy. Your suggestion about using throw rugs is appreciated.

We always want all of our guests to have a restful night's sleep and we apologize that yours was not (we have had our staff stay in the cottages for quality control). Our wall units are all brand new and they do make noise when cutting on and off. The refrigerators should not rattle, nor should the bathroom door squeak when opened or closed. Our Facilities Manager was not available during your stay; therefore, we were unable to address your concerns. We have since done a thorough check of the cottage you stayed in to inspect the maintenance concerns you brought to our attention.

Our Chef and everyone on staff takes great pride in our food quality and we apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your meal. Sunday brunch service did begin at 10 a.m. the morning of your stay. We utilize the freshest and highest quality products in our entrees and apologize that the entrées of your choice were not available. We have a full staff of servers on the weekends, but even fully staffed the restaurant is easily very busy on holiday weekends.

Since our restaurant is closed on Mondays, we always want to provide our cottage guests with breakfast options to start their morning. Our Chef personally made all of the pastries before delivering them to each cottage. We appreciate your comments and will come up with some new fresh ideas on selection and presentation. All of your concerns have been brought to the attention of the general manager and are being reviewed.

Our client experience is very important to us and we try to ensure that all information provided to guests is true. We apologize that you were under the impression that we have staff on property on Mondays, sometimes the owners and grounds manager are in to care for the gardens, and we are sorry you missed them. Again, we apologize that your stay was anything less than great.
Highland Village, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Beautiful property, great concept! Surroundings have an historical look and feel, but all amenities are cutting edge from the well appointed cottages to the grand spa and inviting restaurant/bar. Breakfasts were delicious! I can highly recommend either of the specialty omelets and the french toast. I referred to the cottages as standalone, luxurious hotel rooms, with porch swings! Close enough to downtown (could walk it on a cooler day), but far enough away to avoid the traffic and totally feel the peace of this beautiful hill country. Great getaway! Great staff! Rosemary shared some history and recommended a fabulous show at the Rockbox. Mike was awesome in the restaurant - efficient and entertaining! Doris was very friendly and helpful in the gift shop. Didn't stay long enough to enjoy any spa services, but I have no doubt they are topnotch and will put that on my list for next time.
Even if you don't stay, you must visit. Enjoy a meal, try out the spa, check out the gift shop, or just walk the grounds. I guarantee you will be drawn to its charm, friendliness and tranquility.

Room Tip: Cottages 7-10 have a beautiful view of the restaurant, spa and some of the gardens. The others are...