“While in Fredericksburg, Don't miss this!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Conroe
“While in Fredericksburg, Don't miss this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

My husband and I were on a little "retreat" recently and had the chance to stop in at the Cotton Gin.
My husband is originally from there, so we were visiting family and had a chance to sneak away for a break from our three wonderful children.
Being aquainted with many places in the Hill Country, I really didn't expect to find a place like this! It is tucked away in an untraveled part of town, but it was really wonderful!
It was close to the park, so golf was 3 minutes away,and the service and food were both incredible!

We loved the experience and will visit again!

Austin, TX
“Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

The restaurant was recommended by our hotel staff. The atmosphere and surroundings were key to the experience. We enjoyed our meal although if I returned I would stick with the Steak or Seafood. I ate the buffalo enchilades which were very different and tasty, but a little tough and didn't match up to my wife's seafood. There were a lot of wine options (mostly local wines). We brought our child along with us and she loved the outdoor areas. I see how this restaurant could appeal to a family with older children, but really seems like it would be a great dining experience for a romantic date.

Hutto, Texas
“Very Good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

The Cotton Gin was recommended to us by the B&B hosts where we were staying. Very nice place and the food was excellent! The wait staff was very friendly and helpful. We will come again when we come back to Fredericksburg.

texas
“Terrible and Rude for No Reason!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

We attempted to dine at the Cotton Gin restaurant on June 15, 2007. When we drove up, it looks like an old barn, so I figured it would be fine for my kids. However, when we walked in, there was one family waiting in front of us. They were seated, and then it was as if the manager just refused to acknowedge us. While we were waiting, I noticed a sign in the lobby that says "We have the right to refuse service to anyone, no matter who you are or who you think you are." Didn't exactly give me that warm, fuzzy feeling. At this point, my husband had to ask the manager to seat us, to which he replied, "Oh I didn't see you." Yeah right.

On the way to the table, the manager looked at my toddler and said, "I will be seating you in the corner." Now, I can understand that an unruly todder has no place in a restaurant, but my son was acting well and behaving. After we were seated, it took about 15 minutes for the waiter to come get our drink order. Then we noticed all of the other tables had bread so we asked for some as well. Our waiter brought the bread and took our order. FIFTY MINUTES LATER, we had no food, and empty drinks. My husband had to call the waiter over to the table and tell him to bring us a check for what we had eaten and we were leaving. He brings us a check for all of the food, which we still didn't have. My husband told him that we were not paying for the food that we had never received, especially after being treated the way we were. The manager then comes over and tells my husband that if we want to just leave than it is on him. So we did.

During the fifty minutes that we waited, the manager tried to seat a couple next to us and made the comment "you may not want to sit here" and cut his eyes to my toddler and cackled. My kids are not perfect, but while we were in this restaurant they had great behavior. There were other children (5-10 years old) in the restaurant but we had the only toddler and they acted as if we had the plague because if it.

I will NEVER go there again and I will tell everyone I know not to. The manager guy really needs to get over himself and loose the snobby attitude. After all, he is working at a restaurant in rural Texas. He probably doesn't even have a college degree.

When we left there, we went to a FABULOUS place called Hondo's on Main. Live music, great food, great atmosphere - one of our new favorites!

Melbourne, Australia
“Couldn't have been better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

Our dinner started with fantasic escargot topped with asagio cheese. And the accompanying hot bread was delicious. The dinner special was antelope, and it was great. Our other terrific main dish was grilled quail (two in the order) stuffed with jalapeno peppers. Mike the manager spent time with us and helped us with the Texas-only wine list. The first wine we ordered (a red) came out a bit too cool to our liking, so Mike suggested another wine that the service bar kept at room temperature, and it was a very good match with our meal. We'll definitely be back. Be sure to make reservations for dinner.