“Thai in FBG?” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Austin, Texas
“Thai in FBG?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

FBG isn't know for Asian food being the land of German sausage and such, but a nice find when wanting a lighter meal. The plates were very fresh with perfect cooked veggies. It is always said you can judge a Thai restaurant by ordering pad thai, but not wanting that I went with a basil chicken dish. Two chili spine according to the menu, but I would rate it as a one chili dish. Not a fancy place to eat, but good solid well prepared food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“Curry up and go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Fresh, solid Thai inspired food and drink. Two pepper is hot and three peppers should clear any spring allergy issues. @ Lunch the small salad bar, sushi and soup station makes a lunch entre carry you all the way to dinner. Servers at times difficult to understand but menu is straight forward. Sushi to go a good take out option.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fredericksburg, Texas
“Finally, a good Asian restaurant in Fredericksburg!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Fredericksburg has been pretty much an Asian restaurant wasteland until now. In spite of a few teething pains, Ginger and Spice is emerging as quite a good restaurant specializing in Thai cuisine, but also offering sushi (not tried - yet). The curries have been very, very good, although perhaps just a touch on the mild side. I believe the chef is somewhat afraid to go all out in this regard. I asked for the Panang to be made 'Thai hot'...no luck. Flavors, though, are uniformly excellent. Ginger and Spice is a great addition to the town's food scene.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“The best server”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Im not gonna lie, I hated coming here because the service was horrible. When u go in, tell them you do not want Kyle. I wasnt going to come back till he was out of there. But I triec again and my server was Jami. She was amazing. She takes pride in her job. I can see her moving up. She is very helpful. She explained the menu very well. ( They changed it) Very attentive. We listened to her when she was at another table who was very rude. She kept calm. She kept it very professional. I will go back and I hope she is there. Ask for her. You wont regret it. Ive been going here since they opened. And they better hope she sticks around. By far the best server EVER!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fredericksburg, Texas
“Not Enough Spice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a new restaurant in town, and we were looking forward to having another place to eat Asian food. The menu is typical of most Asian restaurants. Most items on the menu can be had with beef, chicken, or pork. There are the usual starters, soups, and entrees. I started off with a cup of Tom Yum Chicken Soup, with lemongrass, mushrooms and celantro. It was delicious, with generous portions of chicken and juicy mushrooms. Great start!

I ordered Cashew Chicken with rice, and my wife ordered Grilled Chicken Lemongrass with vermicelli noodles. It had thinly sliced pieces of chicken breast with no breading on it. My chicken was in breaded chunks.

As owners of four B&Bs, we know what it is like to be on the receiving end of a review, especially an unfair one. Some people seem to go into a business with the white gloves on, looking to find everything wrong that they can, rather than going in to have a good time.

With this attitude in mind, we always try to find the good things to review, especially about a new business struggling to ge established. Unfortunately, we found little to be happy about at Ginger & Spice. We hope they get their kitchen in order quickly, because we want to continue to do business with them. Here are the particulars of what we found:

I noticed a particular foul taste in the chunks of chicken that I have tasted before. I call it the "refrigerator taste." It is caused by storing uncovered meats in a refrigerator for an extended period of time. Meats are particularly bad about absorbing substances out of the air. I used to inspect food facilities that I also ate at, and when the staff started covering the meat, that foul taste went away. My wife's dish had the same taste, which pretty much ruined both dishes. If the refrigerator taste had not been there, we might have otherwise enjoyed our meals, but I doubt it. My chicken was also very dry, some pieces being hard. It may have been heated up more than once, or kept hot for an extended time. The sauces and vegetables on both of our entrees were unremarkable. We simply paid our bill and left with no comment. Nobody bothered to ask us how it was. If they had, I would have told them.

Our waiter was chewing and smacking chewing gum while taking our orders. My was particularly put off by the unprofessional demeaner.

This is sad. We hope the owner of Ginger & Spice will get it together. We probably won't go back unless we read positive reviews in the furure. In the mean time, the best place to eat Asian food in Fredericksburg is Panda's.

• 1 of 5 stars Food