Fredericksburg

Audrey V
Tomball
“Not my style”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 for a stay in February 2013

I almost feel like I stayed at a different place than these other reviewers. What was described as Rustic, Cozy and Charming really turned out to be Dirty, Cluttered and Uncomfortable. The weather was not great for our stay so we were forced to be inside most of the time. Therefore we were able to REALLY experience the inside of this cabin. The "decorations" consisted of hundreds of empty beer, wine and liquor bottles. Some are ok, but the amount there was just too much. Another decoration was the 2 pyramids of Skoal and Copenhagen snuff cans stacked on a ceiling rafter. It just seemed to be cluttered with peoples trash. Yes - the "love notes" that people describe where fun to read and they kept us entertained, but many of them were descriptions of whatever "escapades" took place between the couple leaving the note. For instance, one read, 'had a great time with my wife on our 20th anniversary trying to break the bed." or another "had a great time with my lover christening every part of this place; tub, hammock, couch, kitchen, bed"... you get the idea. And those two examples were some of the milder ones we read. After reading a few notes, I felt the need to keep shoes and socks on and carry a towel around to sit on everywhere in the place. The grounds were in desperate need of cleaning as well. There were many dead and fallen trees and brush that lined the driveway. Our first drive up the driveway made me feel like we were on the set of a horror movie, and were about to be murdered or chased around the property with a chainsaw. The loft ladder was fun the first few times, but going to the bathroom in the middle of the night was kind of a chore. The bathroom sink was tiny, and didn't drain unless the drain was propped open with something (we used a knife). The whirlpool tub was nice, but after reading everyone's notes, I entered with caution. The outdoor shower would be nice in the summer time. There are lots of sheep and a llama that love eating, and they expect you to feed them. They stay close to the house and wait for food. Not a big deal, but if you're not a fan of livestock, this might not be a good place for you. Oh, and the gate to the property must remain locked in order to keep the animals in. So that was another not so fun part of the trip. Since my husband was usually driving, I was the lucky one who had to get out and unlock the gate, open it and let my husband drive through, then close and lock it back. Not fun in the rain! It was nice to have a quiet getaway with my husband, but I just wish we would have stayed somewhere else. Judging from the reviews, I see many people enjoy this cabin and go back year after year, but it is definitely not mine or my husband's style.

5 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
4 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 2 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
4 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
2 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 2 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: There was wi-fi so I could have some kind of communication since my phone had no service out there
Liked least: Too rustic, too cluttered didn't feel clean
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Feb 11, 2013
We're sorry you did not enjoy Das Jager Haus. As you say, it is not for everyone.

The wine bottles, beer bottles and Skoal cans were something the guests came up with. Every time the owner tried to remove them or censor the guest book, repeat guests have not been happy.

Satisfying guests is tricky. Many people return for the ambiance. A few, like yourself, would never stay there because of it.

I hope you will use the service again. We can help you find a more appropriate place for you to stay.
A FlipKey verified reviewer
from
$125
Night
Week
Additional fees may be applied by manager
Talk to the Manager
Manager
Gastehaus Schmidt
Speaks English
Listed since : Sep 2011
Response Rate: 75 %
Response Time: Within a few hours
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing