This B&B is actually in Fredericksburg. Let me start by saying that I have traveled to many places and done a couple of reviews for Trip Advisor and have NEVER given a bad review...but this place warrants a warning to anyone who might potentially stay here.
My family went on a Christmas vacation...starting with two nights in Fredericksburg, then a night in Boerne with family and on to San Antonio for the remainder of the week. I was born in Fredericksburg and LOVE this town. I have stayed at several B&B's here, but since there are so many to choose from, I like to try a new one each time. (I have never been disappointed until now)
The location is fabulous! It's on a ranch just outside of town & there are only two cottages to rent. There is a security gate which seemed like a plus, but upon arriving and leaving all of our valueables in the cottage, we found there was no key for us to lock up with. Gee, I hope the other guests are honest and don't come into our cottage while we are in town and help themselves to what ever they like. Not a big deal...we overlooked it.
We were told that there would be breakfast food in the fridge and freezer. When we looked in the fridge, there were two bottles of milk...one opened and used that expired on December 3rd (we were there on the 18th) and the other unopened. There were two jugs of orange juice one half used. (By whom, we did not know) I find it unsanitary to drink out of a container of milk or juice that a previous guest opened and drank from, as you do not know if they drank from the container and you don't what disease they may have. Since there were unopened containers, we overlooked it.
When we arrived it was sunny and about 58 degrees outside. The thermostat was on 72 and the cottage was pleasantly warm. We left to shop and have dinner. When we arrived back at the cottage after dark, the temperature was 34 outside and the cottage was cold. We adjusted the thermostat to 76, hoping it would warm up. About 2 am when I was freezing I had my husband put the thermostat to 80 thinking that would surely warm up the very small cottage. When we checked the thermostat the next morning around daylight, the temp in the cottage was 58. My husband figured that since the ducting was under the house, the heat was cooling off before it made it to the vent because there was poor insulation & it was therefore not heating the house. The next day was forecasted warmer, so AGAIN we overlooked it.
We started to fix breakfast and found the waffles in the freezer had been opened and were freezer burned. The frozen pancakes were unopened so we fixed them. We went to get the butter from the fridge and found that it was Tuscan style butter with garlic and olive oil. That was the only butter in the place. So we ate our frozen pancakes with just syrup. Again overlooking the fact that there were no eggs, sausage, fruit, muffins or anything that might resemble what we would have expected at a B&B for breakfast.
My daughter went to shower (actually there isn't a shower, its a tub with a nozzle you can put over the spout to spray the water instead of having to take an actual bath) and about half way through her water started to get cold. When she got out she told me to wait before I went in or it would be cold. I allowed about an hour for the water to heat back up. When I got in, I never turned the cold water on and I had a lukewarm experience, but it was ok. After my husbands jog, he returned to the cottage and I told him he would have to wait about an hour for the water to heat back up. He did. We weren't in any hurry because we were on vacation. So finally at about 2:00 he prepared for his bath. When he reached for the last towel on the towel rack (to set it on the side of the tub before his bath) it poured RAT POISON all over the place! That was the final straw...he called the owner of the cottage and said we would be leaving because of the rat poison and we would expect him not to charge us for that night. He protested and said if we didn't like the cottage we should have left at 11:00 am which is check out time.
This was ridicuolous to me considering the fact that the rat poison was in a TOWEL and could have easily been accessed by a toddler or baby. Even after I explained to the owner at that time, about all of the other issues we had been having and were willing to overlook, he STILL claimed that we should have left by checkout time if we wanted to not be charged for that night.
Then he must have done an internet search on me and my husband because he emailed me and referenced the college my husband attended and then alluded to the fact that there were 'scams' in our town pertaining to the type of business my husband and I own. So I can only conclude that he was acusing us of being scam artists of some sort! I was HIGHLY offended by this and have NEVER seen or heard of anything like this!!
DO NOT GO HERE! I would not recommend this cottage to anyone!!! Please contact me if you would like further information regarding our horrible stay! I have attached pictures of the rat poison and of some dead flies in one of the window seals. There were dead flies in all of the window seals and on the counter in the kitchen but I didn't include all of the pictures.