“Rock of Ages” 5 of 5 stars

16710 Ranch Rd. 965, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
(830) 685-3636
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Educational Sites, Mysterious Sites, Geologic Formations, Parks, State Parks, Hiking Trails, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking, Birdwatching, Rock climbing, Backpacking, Camping, Picnicking
More attraction details
Owner description: Enormous pink rock dome that rises 325 feet above a small stream.
Fritztown
14 attraction reviews
“Rock of Ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is a natural wonder in granite that is beautiful to see and even more fun to hike around on as well as around. The summit is the iconic piece, but several other towering rock hills boast more hiking, repelling and camping. It is a great get away and a wonderful place to spend the night watching the stars.

Visited November 2013

McKinney, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Romantic Sunset View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My girlfriend and I hiked to the top of Enchanted Rock and watched the sunset. We packed wine and two plastic wine glasses in our back pack and experienced a very romantic sunset. It was extremely windy and cold at the top but we found a perfect wind shelter behind some rocks at the top which provided a comfortable setting. The hike is fairly easy and takes less than 30 minutes to reach the top of the rock. This is a must see destination as the view of the hill country couldn’t be any better than from the top of this rock.

Houston
12 attraction reviews
“View from the TOP on New Year's Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I've been to Enchanted Rock several times and love hiking the Rock. I was thrilled when I found out it would be open for New Year's. I had been before with my 5 lb Yorkie so I took her again. The Park ranger has advised me when I took her the first time to be aware that a walk for her would be hard on her foot pads and to carry her some. Which I did. It is dog-friendly as long as your pet is on a leash. IT's a challenge to get to the top but rewarding. Even if you're in shape I recommend a 5 minute break to catch your breath half-way up. This particular day it was very windy which made the hike a bit more challenging. We had a wonderful time and felt great standing at the top overlooking the TX hill country vista. It's a good idea to take a bottle of water too. My guy had never been & wasn't sure what all the fuss was about. He especially didn't like the long wait in our car to get into the park. It seems the Park attendants were monitoring the amount of cars coming in by taking one car at a time. We had to wait 45 minutes to get in but others had to wait much longer. We only stayed for a couple of hours because we had another place to go but you could spend a lot of time there. There are many trails all around the park. I did see a food truck but it was closed for the New Year. There were several campers in the campgrounds and having a picnic there would be great fun. The bathroom facilities are surprising clean and have been updated since my last visit. My recommendation is to go early before the line starts, especially on a holiday. But it's so worth the trip!

Phoenix, AZ
177 attraction reviews
“Good Hike, Picnic Area, and some camping.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

State Park with a l-a-r-g-e in the middle. It made a nice couple of hour hike for families. Not much to do but hike. I thought it was a bit expensive at $7 a person. Senior discount only offered for Texas Residents.

Visited December 2013
Crawford, Texas
“I made it half way to the top!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The 66, 41, and 11, year old family members were so excited about the scheduled trip to Enchanted Rock that they sent me links to web sites about climbing the rock. I was too busy to watch. WHAT A SUPRISE! What a fantastic surprise, I've never seen the likes of it before. That is one awesome rock. Half way up I had plenty of steam to go, but when I turned around and looked downnnnnnn, well, I decided that my ankles need to be in better shape before I tackle the trip down from the top. Half-way was the best way for me for this first visit. Exciting experience, recommended to all.