“Christmas 2012” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Fort Worth B&B and Inns
Garland, Texas
“Christmas 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was a first time stay for us. The house was beautiful and easy to get to. Cindy and Javier Lucio are new owners and have done a great job of making you feel wantted and serve a great breakfast. We went to the zoo on Sunday and got hungry' called Cindy and she gave us a great place to go that was close to us. It was a three day stay and it was worth going. Plan to go again some day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed during the week at this quaint little house. It is very conveniently located in Fort Worth and the new owners were lovely. The main house room I stayed in was nice and the queen bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a cast iron claw foot tub and the best shower head ever, which makes up for the small corner sink. The owner told us she had recently replaced all the linens (they were great) and each room was equipped with an iPhone charger/radio (so nice). Breakfast was gourmet, but the coffee, not so much. The Keurig upstairs would be my suggestion. Just a side note if you stay here and need a great place to eat head to the cute little Magnolia Street. I wish they had suggested that before we went to a chain to eat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Conroe, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had reservations to stay here for two nights. It is a beautiful, restored old home in a convenient location. After arriving, I learned that the breakfast that is supposedly served any time the guests want is actually served "any time between 9 and 10." If you are an early riser or traveling on business, forget an early breakfast. (I suppose you could bring your own breakfast foods as they will provide an early coffee service to the room. However, this isn't what you're paying for). Also they gave me a room in the "carriage house." They were supposed to have wifi in all the guest rooms rooms. I could connect to the Internet from my carriage house room but the connection was so slow, it didn't work (not even to check e-mails or the weather). Guests are welcome to bring their computers into the main house parlor for a better signal, but they keep the house really hot. It was at least 82 degrees inside in the afternoon and they looked shocked when I said I wanted to turn the ac on in my room (it did have its own unit) when it was in the nineties outside. Also the bed in my room turned out to be a murphy bed which had been pulled down from the wall before my arrival. A stay in the main house might (?) be nice if you like a late breakfast. Because wifi service and an early breakfast were two of my requirements, I told them I was not satisfied with the accommodations and I went to the SpringHill Mariott Suites a couple of miles away . Note - when you make your reservation for the White House B&B they will send you an e-mail telling you that if you cancel less than one week prior to your arrival they will charge your credit card for one night, non-refundable However they were very agreeable to refunding my card after my arrival when I told them I need to go somewhere with wifi service in the room and an earlier breakfast time.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Grover2006, Owner at Texas White House, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
What prompted the title of this review was information on the Business Traveler page of our web site. For business travelers we do, indeed, serve breakfast at a time of the guest's choosing. On the other hand, this guest was here to visit a relative. When I asked if she had a schedule the next morning, she said she was meeting her relative between 9:30 and 10:00. I promised that we could serve her breakfast at 9:00 and get her to the meeting by 9:30. She said that would be fine. She also mentioned that she needed wifi, and I told her most guests had no problem picking up the signal in her room, but if she did, first, please let us know, and if she wanted, she could come into the main house to use it.
It took less than an hour for this guest to decide she didn't want to stay. She called to tell me that the breakfast time was not satisfactory and that she couldn't get the wifi. I mentioned that we could move her into the main house and serve her an earlier breakfast, but her response was that she couldn't stay here.
A few minor points: I learned later there was a problem with the wifi in our area when she tried to access it; the thermostat in the main house is set to 82 degrees so that the room stays 76 degrees; this guest normally stays at the motel she mentioned when she comes to Fort Worth.
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

You HAVE to stay in this place. The owners have been in business for 19 yrs and one of the best parts of staying here, is visiting with them. Every detail is covered. The home is so beautiful and well maintained. The bedrooms are comfortable and relaxing. The curb appeal is excellent and just wait until you walk around in the yard! They have it planted in native, Texas plants and it is wonderful. My daughter and I have stayed here the last 2 years for our Mother's Day Extravaganza! My only concern is that the owners are considering selling and I don't know what the new owners will be like. SO, before they sell, give them a call and check it out for yourselves.

Room Tip: We stay in the front room @ the top of the stairs. It's big and the bathroom with claw tub is ve...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
granbury, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Because the Texas White House is directly across 8th Ave. from Baylor All Saints and I had a 5:00 am show time at the hospital, my husband and I chose to stay here for the night. The exterior of the house, while not "run down", could use a little landscaping or maybe some spiffing up to give it more curb appeal. The interior is beautiful. The furnishings, whether antique, or reproductions were tasteful. Our room was clean, comfortable, and roomy. There was a miscommunication on our arrival time, but Grover, the innkeeper was accommodating, and quickly remedied the problem. Unfortunately, his wife was ill and unable to cook breakfast the next morning, so we were given vouchers for breakfast at The Neighborhood Grill, just down the street. We were disappointed that we missed out on what we heard would be a wonderful breakfast, but there's always next time.
The Texas White House is about as convenient as you can get for access to Baylor All Saints Hospital. There are several other hospitals a very short distance away. It is walking distance to numerous restaurants, convenient to TCU, and also convenient to the Ft. Worth Cultural District.
There were cold drinks and snacks available to us 24 - 7 The only thing I can think to ask for would be access to an ice maker and an ice bucket in our room. The positives definitely overcome the few negatives. I would definitely stay here again should the occasion arise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed at the Texas White House Bed & Breakfast in April while attending a workshop at Texas Christian University. Everything about the experience was wonderful. Grover and Jaime McMains were so hospitable, and one of them (or perhaps both) is a great cook. For breakfast, I had sliced pear with cinnamon and sugar, freshly baked pear bread and a sausage and egg souffle-type dish.

And I know to whom to attribute the decor: Jaime. She has great taste. My room was decorated with carefully selected antiques and all the comforts you could ask for. And the bed, oh, the bed. So comfy!

The location was also great. For dinner I walked to a restaurant on Magnolia, TCU was just a five-minute drive away, and the B&B is pretty close to I-35 (and you don't have to go through downtown if heading south), so I was able to miss a good chunk of the rush-hour traffic.

I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed it. I felt right at home, the breakfast was wonderful. The resturant suggestions were great too. I will be staying there again. It was in a good location for my work, right in the hospital district. Close to downtown Fort Worth. All around a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: I only stayed once and the room was fine, it was the Texas room if I recall. Next time, maybe a dif...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Texas White House? Share your experiences!