“Not on their game this night” 4 of 5 stars

817-740-8810
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lonesome Dove Western Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,358 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main and Exchange Ave.
Chicago
“Not on their game this night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visiting from out of town with my wife. I travel a lot and eat at a lot of memorable places. So this is not our "first rodeo" eating at a "look forward to" establishment. The couple we were with spends many many thousands of dollars per year entertaining customers at Lonesome Dove. His comment was "I can always count on them to rise to the occasion...I don't have to worry that there will be any problems or that everyone won't have a good time."

So, here's the story. Their regular server was off that night. Our server opens by saying "I have been instructed to make sure we take really good care of you tonight." OK. You set expectations.
Yes, it is very capable of being a unique and memorable experience. The whole urban cowboy cuisine thing really is kind of unique and well-conceived. And for the most part the food was very good. But, we are not a budget table...a $120 entree and over $300 in wine. Should hope the service is good.

So, what went wrong? Food was mostly excellent (except below). We shared several appetizers and salads. Most were good; the elk sliders in particular.The Hamachi tostadas...the fish really did not taste fresh at all. But, we're having a good time and the restaurant has a good vibe. Now the entrees come. They range from tepid to cold. The aforementioned high priced entree does not appear..."oops, got it wrong" (all four confirming the order was stated right). NO PROBLEM...we'll heat your entrees while we get the Wagyu Ribeye done. So the table gets cleared (except the sides, which stay cold). Really. we're still Ok with all this.

Eventually our entrees reappear. Sorta lukewarm...not hot. They did point out they replaced the asparagus side on my plate (two stalks...what about the sides on the table?). I pointed out that they cleared my silverware with the returned entree..."don't forget I need new utensils." Someone did bring a fork. But what about everyone else? we waited to get someone to get utensils while the food got colder. Finally three of us ate a very good meal---except the Wagyu hasn't shown up. Oops. Finally it does. Really? Yes, they comped and bagged the steak since we were ready to go at that time.

So, I would like to go revisit when they are "on their game." I think they can live up to their reputation. This was really a disaster and we were with what I am sure is a key customer of theirs.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seminole, Florida
“Absolutely fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We celebrated our son's birthday here and wanted something "special." The food was spectacular and well-presented. The waiter was great and offered to split up our appetizers so we could all share them, which we really liked. The wine the waiter recommended was an outstanding pairing for the meal. The only drawback was the restroom is one that is shared by men & women and not what I would expect at a high-end restaurant. That being said, I would return for another special occasion! It was expensive, but worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“Buyer Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I’ll start with the entrees. I had the Pan Seared Lane Snapper with Crayfish Chowder for $28. When the plate arrived, I picked up my fork and the small filet didn’t move. That’s when I realized that the fish filet was skin side up on my plate. In order to eat it I had to either flip it over in the watery (at best) chowder or skin it. I opted to remove the skin which was completely unattractive on my $28 plate. Flavor was just okay.

My husband had the Wagyu Skirt Steak with Fries and Béarnaise $34. The steak was a little tough for something that is represented as Kobe beef and the sauce came in a little ketchup cup and was the consistency of mayo. Not sure if this was intended or not. Nothing special.

Okay, but the kicker was when the bill arrived. We ordered the Mexican Donuts with Chocolate, Cajeta, and Coffee Creme for a table of 4. (an aside - we never saw the coffee creme.) When the donuts arrived we got 4 donuts with 3 small cups of dipping sauce all on one plate we had to pass around. BUT, when the bill arrived we were charged for two orders of donuts. The waiter said we had gotten 4 donuts that was two orders. Since we paid for two orders, it would have been nice if they had brought us two orders so we didn’t have to pass around the plate. No good will here.

The website says the menu is subject to change. Take that to heart; it could be after you have ordered... Not going back.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, CA
“Not for those with nut allergies, otherwise excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

First, the bad news. If anyone in your party has a bad peanut allergy - skip this restaurant. They fry in peanut oil and a few of their things that are not typically fried foods, are flash-fried for some crispness. Although tasty for us non-allergic people, my husband had to skip a few things we had ordered to share before we mentioned his allergy.

Now the good news. I guess this place is either inconsistent or some people are cranky based on other reviews. I'm not a pushover food-wise but our food was delicious. My husband had the elk sliders - which he said were wonderful. I was going to share them with him, but the boar's ribs were one of the flash-fried things. They didn't taste fried, but I can see how that would sear them nicely. They were tasty - or the sauce was, the meat was tender but nothing special.

I had the sweet potato-caramelized onions Chile Relleno, which was outstanding. I will try to duplicate it when I get home. Inventive, tasty, and nicely complemented by alternating swirls of black bean and corn purees.

My husband had their signature garlic infused tenderloin, which normally comes over a "plaid hash" which sadly was... done in peanut oil, so he had mashed potatoes instead. He reported a perfectly cooked, very tender and flavorful steak.

Dessert was an excellent set of "Mexican Donuts" that seemed like churros to me, with three excellent dipping sauces. Of course they are fried in peanut oil so my husband couldn't have them. He had a delicious chocolate cake with orange liquor flavored mousse.

The service was first rate - friendly without being too friendly, and very attentive and accommodating. The wine list is very extensive and they happily made our favorite cocktail of Woodford bourbon sour with a splash of St. Germain Elderflower liquor. Try it, you'll like it.

The atmosphere is sort of Ralph Lauren meets the old west, and it's in a funky touristy little neighborhood for a nice after dinner walk.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“Fair”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This place and Tim Love's other place, The Woodshed, leave much to be desired. Over-priced and socking it to the unknowing tourists. Won't return. Other places in town have better food at same or less price,

• 2 of 5 stars Food