“Poor Service, Poor Meal, Weird layout” 2 of 5 stars

+1 817-732-2370
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Buffalo West is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #413 of 1,270 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Paul McKinney, a retired sea captain, commercial real estate broker and investor located on Camp Bowie West, saw an opportunity when the former Steak & Ale building down the street at 7101 Camp Bowie West went on the market. He purchased it out of bankruptcy when the Steak & Ale/Bennigans Corporation went under in 2008. By the time the purchase of the vacant site was finalized in July 2009, thieves had stripped all the copper wiring and plumbing out of the building. McKinney has purchased several other industrial and office properties over the years. He was used to refurbishing, recycling, and making ready for reuse in the market, but this beautiful well-built building has been quite a challenge. Not finding a buyer or tenant in the down economy after bringing the building back up to code, McKinney decided to completely remodel the building and open his own restaurant. By adding a covered patio, an indoor/outdoor bar, stage, and huge salad bar, he was able to keep much of the charm of the English Tudor style building yet modernize it to serve today's customers. He and his wife Mary, a Spanish Professor at TCU, opened Buffalo West in September 2012. McKinney admits there is a tough learning curve in the restaurant business and they have made their share of mistakes, but they are on the right track and moving forward. The food is superb and the service is awesome. They are very proud of their staff. Everyday new customers are dining there and the repeat customers love it and bring in more friends to try it out. General Manager Chris Piekarski and McKinney work well together developing a corporate culture based on the "Golden Rule", and moving Buffalo West toward being not only the neighborhood place to go, but a destination restaurant known for its prime rib, steaks, and upscale comfort food, along with a comfortable, casual, relaxing dining experience. Along with great food and service, Buffalo West diners enjoy the local musicians that are brought in Thursday through Saturday to play on the patio. Playing classic rock to country, Buffalo West has brought in great bands like: Time Bandits, Hwy 80 West, Uptown Drifters, Hill City, Second Hand Soul, and Blackbirds. McKinney encourages the readers to give them a try even if you tried them earlier, it just gets better and better.
Fort Worth, Texas
“Poor Service, Poor Meal, Weird layout”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went for dinner and were seated by he hostess. but didn't see the server for almost 15 minutes. She asked if we wanted drinks which took another 10 minutes while we watched her walk back and fourth from room to room. We asked for water but never got it. We ordered our food and then she came back after we ordered our food to ask again, if we were ready to order...When we told her we already ordered she figured out that she mis-placed the information and would get our order right in. The food was mediocre at best and didn't come to the table hot and was barely warm. We were almost done with our meal when the server told us that we were entitled to the serve yourself salad bar. I guess she forgot to tell us that when we ordered our food. The layout of this restaurant was odd and was difficult for the servers and the guests to get to and from the salad bar. There's nothing special here and won't be going back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Aim high, score low”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Thought I would try Buffalo West when it was offered as a Groupon. The last time I was at this place was when it was a Steak and Ale years ago, and I'm sorry to say, it hasn't really changed much, other than a more creative menu that misses the mark.
We went around 6pm on a Friday night and it was very slow - to the point that it was so quiet in the room we were in (with 2 other tables occupied), we were almost afraid to talk because A) everyone would hear us, and B) we might disturb those eating a quiet dinner.
Our waitress was nice enough, but not great at her job. She told us about a dinner for two special and repeated it later to the table next to us - when they ordered it though, the manager came over to explain that it was a Monday through Thursday offering only. This was the first of the many apologies we heard through our meal.
Before we ordered, a table near us who had ordered the stuffed trout, sent it back, saying "it wasn't what I expected". I ended up ordering it anyway, as it was my second choice initially. My first choice, the duck, was not available ("none of the game meat is available tonight").
We ordered the Cajun Corn as an appetizer, which we never got - and didn't realize it until we heard someone else order it nearby. The waitress was very apologetic and we said it was fine, just make sure not to charge us for it.
Our dinners both came with the salad bar, which the waitress found necessary to give us a tour of. It was nothing special, except for maybe the ice chest next to it where they keep the cold plates. Cold plates were nice, except it took some prying to get one, as they were all stuck together (I assume they were slightly wet when they were placed in). Some of the offerings looked very fresh, like the mixed greens - while others looked old, like the whitened baby carrots. The italian dressing was very watered down and had little flavor.
When we did get our food, it was again disappointing. The stuffed trout looked very unappealing - I'm still trying to figure out how they cook it - the outside looked raw, like they'd just chopped the head off the fish and threw it on your plate. Luckily, the inside was cooked perfectly. The stuffing, advertised with crab, mushroom, bacon and jalapeno was okay, but I found no evidence of jalapeno and very little bacon. It was very creamy, with plenty of crab, but too soft and missing some flavor. It was advertised to come with a butternut rice, which was not on the plate - instead a basic wild rice. My husband had the whiskey ribeye - described as having a sauce made with "TX" whiskey (which we have had and enjoy). The ribeye was very thinly cut, with sliced potatoes underneath to protect it from the sizzling cast iron skillet. The sauce looked like brown gravy, but was overly sweet - didn't taste much like whiskey at all. The mashed potatoes and mixed veggies on the side were boring. The website shows a kids menu, which they have, but not an actual printed version of - the waitress just told us the options. My son chose the spaghetti with marinara and liked it, although it was served with bowtie pasta, not spaghetti.
By the time we left, it was still dead, which says a lot on a Friday night in Fort Worth.
Overall, it seems like the same, older crowd that frequented the Steak and Ale that was previously there never left, but no one else ever showed up. The tired decor and bland food was almost depressing. The website and menu descriptions look great, but they really need to do two things - serve what the menu says instead of taking the liberty to substitute, and actually cook things properly. The concept of the dishes is great, but the execution is poor. We were glad we had a Groupon and only spent $44, instead of the $64 it would have been. We don't plan on going back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“Worst dining experience in a long time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

From start to finish, our experience here was not a good one. After we were seated and given menus, our waitress disappeared. Seeing forlorn looks on our faces, another server, maybe a manager, took pity on us and came over to take our order. I wanted the stuffed trout, my wife wanted the chicken and dumplings, and my son wanted the chicken-fried steak. Unfortunately, none, along with a few others that the server mentioned, were available -- at 6 p.m. on a Saturday night. Each of us was forced into a second choice. My wife said the blackened tilapia was very good, and my son was happy with his burger. My steak, ordered medium, arrived a little past medium well, and the baked potato came with butter and cheese rather than butter and bacon. Getting the bill, paying, and leaving took a longer-than-usual time, and the delays throughout the evening accumulated to the point that we missed the opening of a show at Bass Hall. On our way out, our server she mentioned new management as a reason for our less-than-enjoyable experience. To her credit, she server comped my son a trip to the salad bar, and us desserts, and she gave us a $25 gift card to use on a later trip. Still, I'm not inclined to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, TX
“HORIBLE!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

It took over 2 hours for a dinner for 2. Our steaks were ordered medium and came out RARE! Everyone in the restaurant was upset. The owner got into a fight with another customer. The customer had been overcharged and the owner said that he could not do anything about it. No drink refills! Way overpriced and overall very bad experience. Even the waitstaff was terrible!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth
“Lunch bunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been to Buffalo West several times...for meetings, to watch Aggie Football and also to listen to the bands. We always have a good time, but when I stopped by Friday afternoon for lunch it just solidified why I want to spend my money with a locally owned restaurant. The staff is super friendly. The revamped soup & salad bar with 3 soup options was a great choice for a fall afternoon. I appreciate having cold salad plates and forks. But the choices available on the bar mean that everyone in our group could customize their plate. I just wanted to take the time to say GOOD JOB gang! Keep up the hard work!!