“simple exterior, lobby of honor, heart of gold” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 1,347 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: American
Vermont
“simple exterior, lobby of honor, heart of gold”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My brother-in-law's favorite cafe. When we visited, he took us there. We kept coming back. While you're waiting for a table, check out the photos and plaques honoring local people / customers of several generations who have served our country. Have well-prepared and attentively served country cooking, just like the sign outside promises. We had both breakfasts and dinners, and both were really good. For dessert, try their excellent German chocolate cake.
The owners and servers are wonderful people who really care about their customers. Thank you, Sue and Derek!
Whenever we're back in Ft. Worth, I know we'll be back here.
David and Judith Ward

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fort Worth, Texas
“Love the Breakfast! And the servers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I've been eating breakfast there for about 6 years. Love to sit at the counter, read the paper, be greeted by great service and have a nice breakfast for under $8.00.

• Visited November 2013
Idalou, Texas
“get a take out tray when you order”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

You might pass this restaurant if you don't have a local to tell you to watch for it. No bling no bang not a chain. It is an established restaurant that locals must love. Staff is fast and friendly. Food is ample and not too healthy, probably. There's alot on the plate.

• Visited September 2013
Lindina22
“I love this place - great comfort food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I do love my hole-in-the-wall home style diners with awesome food and interesting atmosphere. I never pass on an opportunity to eat here, because it is special. I have yet to have anything that wasn't wonderful. It's near the joint reserve base and Lockheed, and the walls are filled with photos of and pilots over the years. It might help to appreciate the atmosphere if you or your boys like airplanes and flying and history of planes. It's my kind of place, the food is always good and fresh, and I have convinced myself that all the aviation pride in America and our military burns off any excess calories, carbs and makes just a small dent in my blood sugar. Awesome breakfasts and lunches. And now I want to go eat there this week. It is never not busy, if that's any clue. It's been there for years and is a real icon in the Westside dining world.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
benbrook
“Just Good Home Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Always great food served by very friendly staff and at reasonable prices. You will meet your neighbors there as most are repeate customers.

• Visited August 2013