“Nice place for lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #253 of 1,349 Restaurants in Fort Worth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the botanical gardens
WI
“Nice place for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My son and I ate there for lunch. It's a pretty setting. The hummus appetizer was good, but on the small side. The portobello wrap was large, and tasty. My son had the pecan crusted chicken, which came with potatoes and veggies (as opposed to the salad referred to on the menu).

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fort Worth, Texas
“Gardens Good, Restaurant Bad!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My salmon was cooked rock hard, our salads were very bitter, service was slow and they were only waiting on 3 tables on the patio.

Visited June 2013
Texas
“What should be one of the gems of Ft. Worth, is an embarrassment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We visited the FWBG and Gardens Restaurant on a Travelzoo voucher. When we entered the restaurant, there was only one table which was occupied but the waitress that walked up to greet us loudly asked, "Do you have a reservation?" We asked, "Do we NEED one?" and she looked around the restaurant to figure out where she could seat us. We were seated at a small table by the window which was nice but the tablecloth and surrounding floor were dirty. The restaurant had just opened for lunch so we assumed it was still dirty from the day before. We presented the waitress our Travelzoo voucher and she loudly exclaimed that we were getting a "great deal" and went on to explain what it included and, again, what a GREAT deal we were getting and that we would only have to pay for tax and GRATUITY! There was a lot of fussing over "stamping" the voucher and several people came to ask us if our voucher had been "stamped". We ordered our beverages while we looked over the menu but then it took about 10 or 15 minutes to get the drinks. Once we were served the drinks, we decided we should go ahead and order while we had a waitress there. Again, she loudly exclaimed what a GREAT deal we were getting! The appetizer was an enormous avocado half stuffed with an overly-mayonnaised chicken salad that was in desperate need of seasoning. The entrees followed and were nicely presented but one of the dishes, salmon, was raw except for the very edges. The other dish, tilapia, was on the dry side but tasty. Our original waitress disappeared and we had a lot of trouble finding someone else to tell that the salmon was raw or to ask to refill our water and tea. Finally, a new waitress came and was shocked that the salmon was not cooked and she offered to bring more fish which my companion did not want so she cleared the dirty dishes. One thing that really bothered us was that when a dish was cleared, they asked us to keep our silverware instead of just bringing a clean fork or spoon. They brought us dessert to make amends for the uncooked fish. There were two slices of cheesecake on one plate with strawberry sauce drizzled all over the plate...an attempt to make the dish look fancy, I guess. It was the typical Sam's-type cheesecake, nothing special. So all in all...a disappointment, we most likely will not return unless there is a shake-up of management and service...which is a shame since it is in a prime spot of Ft. Worth and could be a great place to have functions. I would not recommend it for a luncheon although we saw a group of ladies meeting in the larger back room.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
dallas
“The worst run place ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Its not worth the drive or the agrivation. I tried this place for mothers day. What a waste of time. When you drive up all the parking spaces are coned off and there is no one to tell you what the heck. So we just out out and moved the cones and parked. Once inside there was the horrible hostess who UNGREETED us and said in a very loud tone of voice "we are not taking travel zoo today" as if we said anything about that. I think because we are African American she just assumed that we were using travel zoo. So we said ok, and ask can we still have a table. Then we sat and sat and sat until we finally flagged down a lady and asked if we could have menu's or something and she said well its brunch. As if brunch automatically ment buffet. Thats why there are two different words for them. So she looked at us and said its 29.99 EACH in a loud tone like we were going to run out after hearing this. So we asked if we could have menus still and she repeated this is brunch and I asked her if she meant a buffet style lunch today and she said brunch. Well after we found out it was a BUFFET we left. We went thinking a nice upscale lunch this was not the case. They seem very bias to different races so I wont be returning and I cant recommend this place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frisco, Texas
“Completely Embarrassed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I hate to be super-critical of any place of business, as employees having a bad day can make or break an experience, but... This was hands-down the worst experience I've had at a restaurant, and we didn't even eat.
I'd purchased a gift certificate on TravelZoo that included admission to the Jaspanese & Botanical gardens, as well as lunch for two. My husband and i visited Saturday, May 18, 2013, arriving, and finishing our walk through the Japanese gardens before noon. We walked to the restaurant and waited to be seated inside; the patio had 1 or 2 tables occupied, 5-7 empty, and the dining room, while busy had 3-4 empty tables as well.
A younger waitress seated my husband and I at a 2-top table, leaving us with the menu and silverware (no drink order). After we'd been at the table long enough to review the menu and choose what we would be ordering (5-7 minutes) a different waitress approached us and began INTERROGATING us about the table we'd been seated at: Did we seat ourselves? (No.) Did a waitress seat us? (Yes.) Who was it? (I couldn't begin to guess the name of the waitress who sat us without introducing herself.)
She went on to explain that the table has a standing daily reservation and that we shouldn't have been seated there. At this point she directed us to pick up our silverware and menus (still no water/drink order yet), and walked us to a table in the middle of the restaurant, all the while prattling on about her standing daily reservation at THAT table. I was COMPLETELY embarrassed.
After reaching our new table (center-stage), we waited ANOTHER 5-7 minutes for yet another waitress (#3 of the day) to ask if we were ready to order (water? drinks? guess those weren't available).
In total, it was an AWFUL experience and I will warn all friends, families, acquaintances against eating there; I'm appalled at the way we were treated.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere