“Uncool.” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Austin, Texas
“Uncool.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had stayed at this CS just over a month ago and gave it a satisfactory review. Our only real complaint was the poor AC and "stuffiness" of the room. Granted, it is Texas in the summer, but we prefer to leave the poor air quality outside. That is part of what we pay for when we chose a hotel. So...the manager, Mohammad, sends me a courteous email thanking me for bringing the AC issue to his attention. He offers me a 20% on my next stay (whether we book it through Choice or through the hotel itself). I do a lot of travelling and generally always book through Choice for the rewards.
So, yesterday, when we check in, I explain the 20% offer to the person at the front desk and he rejects my insistence and won't be bothered to read the correspondence to confirm this. He basically told me that with my AAA discount I was already getting a good rate. I grow weary of customer service that turns around a grievance as somehow being my misinterpretation of the facts. When asked to speak to the manager, I am told he won't be in until after the weekend. We are running late for an engagement, so we take the key, drop off our belongings in the room and are dumbfounded that the room is not only hot and stuffy, but it smells of cigarettes in our no smoking room. We sprayed the place down with room deodorizer, cranked the AC, and when we returned later that night fully exhausted, we were relieved to find the room sufficiently cool (but, by no means "cold" and still quite stale). We did notice that the temperature on the second floor hallway felt a good 20 degrees warmer than the lobby and ice machine was not working. There seems to be nothing actually "cool" about this hotel.
Here's our take on this place. The beds are great, the rooms are clean, the furnishings are a little dated. Wifi was decent and the breakfast looked to be what we've come to expect from CS (basic grazing). The property appears well maintained, safe, and in a good location. We pass through Fort Worth regurlarly, but we won't be staying here again. The AC issue is bad enough, but being made a promise to win back my business only to be told I should be happy with what I've got is not only unprofessional, it is rude. This made only worse because I was in no way happy with what I got in return for my money...TWICE. So, on second thought, you might wish to reconsider your options when it comes to this particular CS. Otherwise you might end up like I did...
losing my cool.

• Stayed June 2012
MOHAMMAD M, General Manager at Comfort Suites North, responded to this review, March 21, 2013

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 817-222-2333.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

As I've said in previous reviews we try to stay at Choice Hotels. This was a last minute decision to stay at this one. We were not disappointed! The room was more like a suite, we were surprised that it was so big at the same price we usually pay for a regular sized room. Its nice since we travel with small children and a dog. We all had plenty of space to stretch out and relax. The TV was a very nice flat screen. The only thing I would say is to replace the carpet and the wallpaper in the bathroom, it was peeling and a bit out dated. Shower could use an update. Also, staff needs to check the refrigerator/freezer, there was leftover ice cream in the freezer.
All in all a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
On the behalf of our entire staff we thank you for taking the time left a positive review on Trip Advisor. I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stayed one night and the room was great. The king suite was very spacious and even had a separate area with a sink, microwave and refrigerator, as well as a sitting area with a sofa and table and a roomy desk area. The place was clean and comfortable. Sam was especially accommodating when I requested a quiet top floor room. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who wants a great room at a great price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MOHAMMAD M, General Manager at Comfort Suites North, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We are very glad that you did choose our hotel for your recent stay and enjoyed your stay. Hotel staff always makes sure that every guest at our hotel feels safe and comfortable like home.
I do really appreciate that you took out few minutes from your precious time and leave a positive comment on trip advisor about the hotel and its services.
I am sure your feedback will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will share this with Sam, that he has been encouraged by you about his customer service performance.
If you have any more question and concern, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Wylie, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife had a conference in Keller for a few days, so instead of making her drive the 60 miles through DFW traffic every day, I booked her a room for two nights. I joined her for one and we made it kind of a mini-vacation. To begin, the room was clean, but, like a previous reviewer, there was a latent stale smoke smell, indicating that someone had smoked in the room previously, despite the signs EVERYWHERE that said 'no smoking.' The room also had an interesting purple chair in the living area that didn't match the decor. Not complaining about that but it was unique. The pillows that came on the bed were small and somewhat lumpy, enough so that I was asked to bring our pillows from home when I arrived on the second night. The breakfast was adequate, but nothing special. The worst part of the stay was the giant flock of birds roosting in the trees in the parking lot. Regardless of where you park, you car WILL be covered in bird poop when you leave. I ended up washing both of our cars when we returned home. This hotel was the nicest one close to where my wife's conference was, and the nicest looking of all the hotels in the general area. We would stay here again, only because there aren't any better options.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
MOHAMMAD M, General Manager at Comfort Suites North, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!
Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We spent three nights here and found this to be a very comfortable stay. Our room was spacious and very quite and a very reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
MOHAMMAD M, General Manager at Comfort Suites North, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I do really appreciate that you took out few minutes from your precious time and leave a positive comment about the hotel and its services.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Spacious king suite with separate area for extra sink near fridge and microwave. Comfortable and clean. Traffic into Fort Worth was heavy and construction near the hotel didn't help, but the hotel itself was great. Several restaurants within walking distance was nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We were in town for a family wedding and spent a couple of nights here. Our room had been recently smoked in and had that stale smokey smell. I mentioned it to the front desk in hopes of being offered another room but they just shrugged. (There are signs all over declaring this a "smoke free" hotel.)

My sister reserved a room with a rollaway bed online and upon arrival was told that they did not have rollaway beds due to some kind of restriction. (Then why is that option available when making a reservation?) Her teenage son slept on the floor for three nights.

The free breakfast was meager and less than appetizing. They were out of many things and we came down very early.

I am a "choice privileges" member and online and in the hotel information in the room it stated that CP members are welcome to a late, 2pm check out. When I mentioned this at the desk I was initially told no and then grudgingly given an extra hour.

This seems like a nice hotel. The pool was clean and shady in the evening hours. There was just no attempt to provide any kind of real customer service. It was disappointing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites North? Share your experiences!