“Poor quality for Residence Inn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham For Worth/Medical Center

You added Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham For Worth/Medical Center to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham For Worth/Medical Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1701 South University Drive, Fort Worth, TX 76107 (Formerly Residence Inn Fort Worth University Drive/River Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #67 of 104 Hotels in Fort Worth
“Poor quality for Residence Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed there for two nights while doing an admissions visit to TCU with our daughter. The hotel was not at all full yet they refused to give us room with two beds (we are Marriott Platinum members). Our room was musty and the pillows smelled like mold. The handle on the door to our room was falling off. Our room was not serviced, even though we were gone all day. Maintenance work on the buildings cpntinued on Sunday which we were assured at check in would not be the case. Overall the hotel is a dump. Hopefully the maintenance work they are doing will be a complete overhaul. It is a fantastic location and has lots of possibilities.

• Stayed March 2013
Maegan T, Property Coordinator at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham For Worth/Medical Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
My name is Maegan Tyrone and I am the property coordinator for the Residence Inn For Worth University property. I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your experiences while you were visitng our property.

I hope that you will accept my apology for the inconveniences that you encountered with us. I can assure you that I have addressed this situation with the appropriate mangers and staff and this matter has been corrected. Please be assured that dedication to quality is a consistent practice throughout the corporation, and our highest priority at Residence Inn is the satisfaction of our guests.

We would love to be able to regain your confidence in our hotel again so if you do choose to stay with us, please call me at the property and I will make sure that your stay with us will be an enjoyable one.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Usa, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Okay, its a compliment of sorts--the people at the desk are quite nice, the breakfast fine, but the rooms really need work. The room I was in smelled of mold, the furniture was old and worn. There is a nicer Courtyard just across the street and another hotel down the street. I would recommend either over this one

Room Tip: if you are staying there, ask for a room facing the river
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

rated very good, good hot breakfast and lots of friendly folks at the desk and at the breakfast. the only problem that we had was that the television was having difficulties and the mantience engineer replace the cable but that did not totally fix the problem. other than that is was a very enjoyable stay. we stayed one night 12/28/12

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during our visit to the NrHa cowtown classic. The rooms were simple and small. Had trouble with the heating system. The pull out sofa mattress was very uncomfortable and I had called down to he front desk for more blankets and pillows. 2.5 hrs and 1 follow up call produced nothing. Finally called again only to have to walk down to the front desk and collect my own pillows and blankets. The breakfast was dry and tasteless. The highlight of the breakfast was the Texas state shaped waffles. The elevators were full of finger prints and the Floors were dirty. Overall not a very gd stay. I had higher expectations for this hotel. Slightly disappointed. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed in a number of Residence Inns, and they seem to fall into two distinct categories: Updated and comfortable or shabby and depressing. I'm afraid this property falls into the latter category.

The property is laid out in a sort of bungalow style arrangement, which actually was pleasant if you don't have a problem with a motel-style external entrance to each room. Groups of four rooms made up each little building. Nearby is a small body of water that had hiking/running trails running by it, though I didn't get the chance to explore that area.

I didn't interact with the staff very much, but when I did they were pleasant and helpful.

It's located near a very busy road, so there is some road noise for the units closest to the road (which my room was) though I should say I didn't hear anything when I was inside the unit. My room had a small porch that overlooked the lake/pond/park area.

While this property does have some things going for it, I just couldn't get past the obvious fact that it had been a long time since it'd had a proper facelift. The appliances in the rooms could very well have been from the late 80s and the beds were of low quality. The decks were starting to rot and the metal fasteners were rusting. Nothing was broken, and everything was clean. However the overall vibe was that this was a "cheap" hotel. However, when I stayed there at least it wasn't inexpensive, making it a bad value.

The workout facilities were not bad if you just wanted cardio. There was one elliptical and two treadmills, all up-to-date and functional. The workout room is small, and the air freshener was so strong in there that I had to prop the door open to get some fresh air in there. But for my needs it was perfectly acceptable.

If you were on a budget and the rates were very good I could see recommending this property simply as a low-cost option. But compared to other properties at the same price point I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is in a great location if you are visiting the TCU, botanical garden, zoo, or Colonial Country Club area of Fort Worth. While the hotel is older and resembles an apartment complex more than a hotel, it is exceptionally clean and well kept. I had an upstairs room at the back of the property overlooking the river and a green space - very scenic and quiet. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. As in most Residence Inns, the happy hour and breakfast are hard to beat. I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Fort Worth.

Room Tip: A room further away from University wil be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Nice clean , roomy , had a nice view of the river. Staff was excellent and caring!!! Loved the complimentary happy hour with food and beer and wine was not expecting that!! Would highly recommend to anyone passing thru. Laundry facilities were clean and a must have for traveling across the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham For Worth/Medical Center? Share your experiences!