“4-star quality rooms but service could be better” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 100 hotels in Fort Worth
Houston, TX
“4-star quality rooms but service could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Rooms are very impressive with better than average amenities....Wolfgang Puck coffee, real glasses and mugs, bathroom supplies includes things like makeup remover....and very clean and roomy. A/C ran quiet and worked very well and quickly. Beds were very comfortable with high quality bedding. I got in at midnight and was leaving in the morning so the service desk automatically gave me a higher room floor because of salsa night....which looked like alot of fun but it was pretty loud in the lobby. I see that others on TripAdvisor complained of the noise which surprised me because once in the elevator, it was pretty quiet...but I did hear the service desk mention it is a weekly event....so be aware.

While all the service people were friendly, I do feel each could do their jobs a little better. Check in was quick. I hiked to my room which was at the end of the hall on the 5th floor, my key worked just fine and I walked in to a room that was already occupied. I was so startled that I quickly slammed the door and ran down to the elevators....I can't imagine the fright of the people inside. (Reminding you that it was midnight when I checked in.) So had to go back down and start the process again....which again was quick but the front desk did not seem to understand how that room was occupied.

Then the next morning at 9 am, housekeeping is knocking on my door. I happened to be up getting ready to leave but it was Sat morning so I imagine most people are still sleeping in. She was very nice but I never understand why housekeepers knock on doors....why can't the front desk tell the housekeeping staff which rooms have been checked out...(just a pet peeve of mine).

When I received a receipt under my door, it was for the wrong amount and although it had my name on it, the address was wrong. I checked my bank statement and was indeed charged twice for the room. So now I had to stop and get it fixed before leaving. It took the front desk about 15 minutes to correct it! And since she was the only one there, several guests had to wait too....all of them got impatient and just interrupted with "just checking out of room 123" or "just a quick question".

After that, I was catching the bus to the airport car rental facility. I know they are scheduled to leave on the hour and half hour so had 20 minutes to wait for the next bus but the bus driver was there at the front desk and asked where I was going and chatted with me. He'd been there through the time I was waiting for the front desk to fix my bill so I know he wasn't adhering to the schedule. I wondered why he couldn't just take me since I obviously was the only one there but figured he had his schedule. After 15 minutes, he got a call for a pickup so that's when we left. I guess it was close enough to the schedule but it still bugged me.

As far as location, it IS close to the south end of the airport but it still a bit of a drive....I know I had to wait at least 20 minutes for the pick up at the airport. But I used to live in that area and know that where the hotel is located, the traffic can get pretty bad. I had no problem because I came in and left at off-times but I imagine that during high traffic times, the travel time to and from the airport might be an issue.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Kelowna, B.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel just before 11:00 last night after our arrival at DFW. This room had been booked on December 23rd and guaranteed with a credit card. Two days prior to our arrival we received email confirmation from Holiday Inn confirming our reservation. Upon arrival we were greeted with the fact the hotel was overbooked and there was no room for us. We were astounded! In all our many travels we have never been met with this. After speaking with the manager we were given a free meal and drink at the hotel restaurant and provided a room at one of the affiiliate hotels. The hotel we stayed at did not have a king bed as our initial reservation had nor was their soap or any other toiletries in the bathroom. Clearly inferior accommodation. This is nothong short of corporate greed. We will NEVER stay at Holiday Inn or its affiliate hotels again. As an interesting note there was a conference or training session of Holiday Inn employees at the time of our stay and I wonder if our room had been given to an employee rather than us. It would appear to me that one of the employees should have been put out and not a paying guest. This does not look good on Holiday Inn at all. We booked this hotel because it was rated number one on Tripadvisor for DFW Airport hotels. Too bad.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dallas DFW Airport - South, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear JVandJC,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Once again the service and professionalism excels. Gloria at the front desk is exceptional and Rebecca at the One Bistro makes sure you don't go thirsty. i've been staying at this location for a little over three years and the service has never wavered.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Simsbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed at many, many hotels in my travels. Most stays have been at Holidy Inns. I can stay at any brand hotel I choose, and while in the great state of Texas, I choose The Holiday Inn DFW south. The rooms are clean and spacious. Location, great. Pricing, very reasonable. The staff is friendly and accomidating. Food is very good. Becca and Rocket are awesome. Always a relaxing visit. Some say "the lobby is noisy and I can't sleep on Friday and Saturday nights due to the entertainment." Well, I don't sleep in the lobby! I stay there about 35 weeks a year, which includes quiet a few weekends. No complaints from me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is great with a great staff. The restaurant and bar with a pleasant staff led with Becca standing out with being a great hostess at a busy establishment is one of the things that makes this a good place to eat and stay. The food is good at great price. Take a chance eat, stay, drink, and say hi to Becca.

• Stayed January 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This review is long OVER due busy with travels and still have 10 more reviews to write; I was here on company business this time around and this is what I experience.

PRO:

Hotel room was nice came with your basic essentials, but were clean and presentable. Customer service was great. And full service restaurant was excellent Breakfast and dinner services was above par. They provide shuttle services to and from DFW airport free of change.

CONS:
Not much to say bad about other that restaurant is a little overpriced; other than that is the only negative thing I can say about my stay there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel while in Dallas for an event. It was very clean, the room was spacious enough and the bathroom was very nice. There was loud music from the bar over the weekend till very late but I recommend requesting a higher level room. The full breakfast was standard. My check-in staff was very pleasant. However, the check-out lady wasn't pleasant at all. She barely said hello and I'd not even say thank you, goodbye or anything at the end of the transaction. All in all, I'll definitely recommend this location and stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Dallas DFW Airport - South? Share your experiences!