“Unexpected comfort in the high desert” 4 of 5 stars

Deluxe Inn
500 East Dickinson Boulevard, Fort Stockton, TX 79735   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Fort Stockton
Austin, Texas
“Unexpected comfort in the high desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Don't let the outside appearance of this hotel mislead you. Based on reviews, I was delighted with the sparkling new rooms, having been recently completely (not just partially) renovated. The high quality of fixtures, porcelain tub, granite counters and nice tile surprised me. The king bed was high quality and very comfortable for this weary traveler returning from Big Bend National Park. The room had all of the amenities found in much higher-priced hotels in Ft. Stockton, even had movie channels. The owners are very friendly and answered my questions about the surrounding area. After a delightful nights' rest, I wanted a nice place to walk before hitting the highway and they directed me to a big park with a walking trail lined with beautiful hugh trees and exercise points along the way. I began my trip refreshed after my walk. I don't think you will find nicer rooms in Ft. Stockton. This hotel is quite a bargain!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Woking, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I decided to stay here based on the reviews from other travellers. It was a good decision. The room I was in had just been refurbished and was lovely. The bed was really comfortable, the bathroom was spotless, everything new. The rooms are in the process of being upgraded and some look like they are out of action as a result and it does give the outside the appearance of being a bit of a building site. That should not put you off.
It was easy to find – I saw signs on I-10 at the exit which I followed. There is a big Walmart up the road. The motel is also handy for the Fort Stockton historic district.
I tried to book a room for the following weekend but unfortunately they were fully booked. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

As others have said, this is an older property whose outside is not very pretty. I actually drove up to the door, made a U-turn and started looking for something else. Luckily for me, after I drove a little ways, I was afraid I would get lost so I went back. The owners was really very nice and chatty. She told me that they are still renovating the property and it is taking a lot longer than they expected. This is because they are doing all the work themselves with help from other family members. They are really doing an excellent job. My room was one of the new ones with brand new TV, microwave, refrigerator, hangers, iron and ironing board. The board still had the shrink wrap on it. The shower was really a surprise. Glass doors on the shower itself with handrails inside. Carpets and bedding also new. The only fault I found was that (so far) the room did not have a coffee maker nor did the office offer any coffee when I checked out. But if I am in that area again I would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
AMARILLO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is an older property that is in the process of being renovated. The outside is not very appealing, however, once you step inside the room you realize that the management is working very hard to make your stay very comfortable. The rates are very reasonable and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was clean with a brand new TV, microwave, and small refrigerator. The bed was very comfortable and the area was pleasantly quiet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

It's obvious the management has put a lot of effort into upgrading the rooms. Were it not for the reviews on this site, I would have passed this place on by. The exterior looks sketchy for sure, but the rooms themselves are clean, comfortable, and quiet. The Wi-Fi was a little weak, but I'd rather have a good nights sleep than fast Internet. Parking seemed adequate for the number of units. Overall, my needs were exactly met. Not exceeded, and not under delivered.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Ft. Stockton is a way-station on the way from El Paso to San Antonio as well as the housing area for oil-field workers who don't actually live in the area and need a place to stay. I used to stay at the bigger chains, but decided to try the Deluxe Inn after reading the reviews. My ratings are based on my experience with other motels in the area rather than with ones in larger cities. IOW, you have to consider the source.

The Ft. Stockton chains seem to have bought their a/c units from some bargain shop, and they are noisy. Plus there's no way to keep the fan running, so they cut on and cut off, which wakes me up every time.

The people who own this little roadside motel are very nice and helpful. And yes, it looks like something transported from the 50's, which it probably is. A piece of Americana that most of us would drive right by. I had to laugh when I walked in, because sitting on the desk was a lamp proudly announcing it was from the Marriott. But it worked. As did all the other lights. The bed was comfortable and clean, the carpet was clean and new. The bathroom was clean as well without a trace of mold, and best of all, the a/c unit was whisper-quiet.

Yes, the water tastes terrible, but that's not the fault of the hotel. It tastes the same at the restaurants. If this wasn't the lap of luxury, at least what I got was commensurate with the cost, and that was almost half of what it would have cost me to stay at the other hotels. So I'd say it was good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

From the outside & reception this place looks like a dump but don't be too quick to judge. The room itself has obviously recently been renovated. It's very clean and fresh. Microwave and fridge were welcome addition. Bathroom was modern and there was plenty of hot water. This will be a great hotel all round when the outside is sorted out which they seem to be working on. Only minor complaint was the poor quality of the towels.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Deluxe Inn? Share your experiences!