“Don't judge the book by the cover” 4 of 5 stars

Deluxe Inn
500 East Dickinson Boulevard, Fort Stockton, TX 79735   |
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Fort Stockton
Tucson, Arizona
“Don't judge the book by the cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

As others have said, this is an older property whose outside is not very pretty. I actually drove up to the door, made a U-turn and started looking for something else. Luckily for me, after I drove a little ways, I was afraid I would get lost so I went back. The owners was really very nice and chatty. She told me that they are still renovating the property and it is taking a lot longer than they expected. This is because they are doing all the work themselves with help from other family members. They are really doing an excellent job. My room was one of the new ones with brand new TV, microwave, refrigerator, hangers, iron and ironing board. The board still had the shrink wrap on it. The shower was really a surprise. Glass doors on the shower itself with handrails inside. Carpets and bedding also new. The only fault I found was that (so far) the room did not have a coffee maker nor did the office offer any coffee when I checked out. But if I am in that area again I would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
AMARILLO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is an older property that is in the process of being renovated. The outside is not very appealing, however, once you step inside the room you realize that the management is working very hard to make your stay very comfortable. The rates are very reasonable and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was clean with a brand new TV, microwave, and small refrigerator. The bed was very comfortable and the area was pleasantly quiet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

It's obvious the management has put a lot of effort into upgrading the rooms. Were it not for the reviews on this site, I would have passed this place on by. The exterior looks sketchy for sure, but the rooms themselves are clean, comfortable, and quiet. The Wi-Fi was a little weak, but I'd rather have a good nights sleep than fast Internet. Parking seemed adequate for the number of units. Overall, my needs were exactly met. Not exceeded, and not under delivered.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Ft. Stockton is a way-station on the way from El Paso to San Antonio as well as the housing area for oil-field workers who don't actually live in the area and need a place to stay. I used to stay at the bigger chains, but decided to try the Deluxe Inn after reading the reviews. My ratings are based on my experience with other motels in the area rather than with ones in larger cities. IOW, you have to consider the source.

The Ft. Stockton chains seem to have bought their a/c units from some bargain shop, and they are noisy. Plus there's no way to keep the fan running, so they cut on and cut off, which wakes me up every time.

The people who own this little roadside motel are very nice and helpful. And yes, it looks like something transported from the 50's, which it probably is. A piece of Americana that most of us would drive right by. I had to laugh when I walked in, because sitting on the desk was a lamp proudly announcing it was from the Marriott. But it worked. As did all the other lights. The bed was comfortable and clean, the carpet was clean and new. The bathroom was clean as well without a trace of mold, and best of all, the a/c unit was whisper-quiet.

Yes, the water tastes terrible, but that's not the fault of the hotel. It tastes the same at the restaurants. If this wasn't the lap of luxury, at least what I got was commensurate with the cost, and that was almost half of what it would have cost me to stay at the other hotels. So I'd say it was good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

From the outside & reception this place looks like a dump but don't be too quick to judge. The room itself has obviously recently been renovated. It's very clean and fresh. Microwave and fridge were welcome addition. Bathroom was modern and there was plenty of hot water. This will be a great hotel all round when the outside is sorted out which they seem to be working on. Only minor complaint was the poor quality of the towels.

• Stayed February 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Online they said they have breakfast. Upon arrival we found out the dining room was in renovation and they didn't even serve coffee in the morning. The room was all right; nice big bathroom and clean. The microwave didn't work right, the water tasted terrible, and outdoors the place is a dump. The pool is full of sand, the office door had a crack in the glass and the place was generally in disrepair. Normally I don't review places but for $60 a night I'd at least like some coffee in the morning. At every single motel I stayed at on my six week road trip I have gotten much more for less money. Maybe it's the best in Ft. Stockton, I don't know, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
BTW Fort Stockton is actually a really neat and very quintessential western town (oilfield workers incl.) town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zachary, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have to admit, like other reviewers, I was very skeptical when we pulled up after a long drive from Louisiana. In fact, the comment I made to my husband was a worried "Well, this should be an adventure..." I had booked the room having been won over by all the excellent reviews for this hotel on TripAdvisor. Make no mistake, the outside will give you pause. But, in fairness, all of Ft. Stockton has the same vibe. The woman who owns the hotel was super nice and assured us we would be pleased with the room. She had been cleaning when we arrived and called to us. This lady was so friendly and takes a great deal of pride in her little motel. She should. The room was very nice, recently remodeled, and most importantly, clean and comfortable. The beds were comfy. Not too soft and not too firm and everything looked and smelled clean. We noticed that we were in the company of our peers as everyone checked in that evening meaning that there were a lot of families staying over. This room was an excellent value and I would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend it to others. I think you will be as pleasantly surprised as we were. Don't judge the book by it's cover.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Deluxe Inn? Share your experiences!