“hometown restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

432-336-8400
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 33 Restaurants in Fort Stockton
Cuisines: American
Description: Our location is 2003 west Dickinson we are right next to subway we have a huge parking lot big enough for big rigs or Rvs to park
Fort Stockton, Texas
“hometown restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Like out of the past, when cafe food was really good. The frenchfries were hand-cut, deep-fried and wonderful! All 5 of us ordered dif foods: chicken fried steak,white fish & fried shrimp,popcorn shrimp, sandwich and peach cobbler, As appetizers, we enjoyed fried pickles and jalapenos. Will be back in AM for breakfast!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Texas
“Couldn't get past the smell - stay away....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My lady and I arrived in Stockton on a Sunday evening on our way home from a long road trip. I asked the girl at the hotel desk where a decent restaurant was - she mentioned Taco Bell, McD's and Pizza Hut - I thought there must be better but I guess she was right all along. Found the Sagebrush and checked the reviews; seemed okay so we thought would give it a try. From the outside it seemed fine, nothing special but OK. Then we walked in and the staff just seemed odd - no other word for it. But we thought would give it a try anyway. Sat down and ordered iced tea and water and some fried pickles. Then the smell hit us - very, very, very old grease. I tried to stop the order but too late. Had our drinks, ate a few pickles, dropped $10 on the table and left. Never again. What is it with small town west Texas - there is never anywhere decent to eat...if in Ft Stockton, don't eat here

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fort Stockton, Texas
“Going down hill fast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We have ate here 5 times. Its a small diner with a few gift shop items up front. The selections of signs and jewelry is neat to look at. The first 2 visits were wonderful. The fried pickles were great, loved the sweet potato fries, blackened catfish is good, and the green chili cheeseburger is tastey. The service was good. The owners were there and seemed very pleasant. The third visit the food was ok. My potatoes were room temp and the coleslaw runny and nearly slimey. My friend had a fish basket. The fish was nicely cooked and the fries were ok. The third visit our waitress was a delight. She made everything better. Polite, helpful, and even played with my son. Fourth visit a great disapointment. Today, 5th visit is our last. The fried pickles were good. Its too bad we didn't get more. My sons cheeseburger didn't have cheese. Just looked like a prepattied burger and a bun. My other son got the chicken strips but only got 2 small pieces and dried cold fries. My blackened catfish sandwich came fried not blackend. No tarter sauce no lettuce no nothing but dried up fried catfish, slice cheese and a bun. I got regular fries instead of sweet potato fries. But there were only 4 fries on the plate.The waitress took my whole plate and exchanged the fries. Im not sure why she didnt leave my food and just go get the correct fries. But the sweet potato fries were way over cooked when she got them. We hardly ate anything. I stood by the register to pay for 5 to 10 min before i just left the money and check there. I couldnt keep waiting. I guess keep the change. My kids were still hungry. We got drive thru on the way home.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Oasis in the desert!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great find in the desert! We have eaten here twice. Lunch and dinner. The food is great, the service was attentive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville, Texas
“rating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Service was good, resturant relatively new, a little overpriced, chicken breading fell off the chicken fried chicken, so it was very dry. Did not sell alcohol.

Visited July 2013