“nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Fort Stockton
McAllen, Texas
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here one night on our way to Carlsbad Caverns and it was a very nice hotel. Because of my priority rewards Platinum status we were upgraded and the suite was awesome. The front desk was very helpful too. We didn't use the kitchen portion of the suite but it looked nice. The parking lot was well lit and the hotel was in a prominent location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear JMia,

On behalf of my staff and I we were pleased to have had you and your family stay with us during your trip to Carlsbad Caverns.

Second, we sincerely appreciate your as one of our Platinum Members! Loyalty such as yours is what the staff and I look forward to serving on a daily basis.

We look forward to your next family trip and are hopeful you would allow us yet another opportunity to cater to you and your family.

Regards,
Paul Amaya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first stay at a Candlewood Suites, and I booked through the Priority Club IHG app. It was easy and quick. The room was nicer than I expected. There is a full kitchen, with a dishwasher and full size fridge. Wi-fi worked great and my understanding is they are pet friendly.
Every staff member I encountered was friendly and courteous. Upon arrival, the front desk clerk had everything ready to go and the total check-in process took just a few minutes and I was on my way to my room. Same ease with check out. I was asked if there was anything additional I needed and to just call the front desk if so.
I would highly recommend staying here if your travels bring you in the area. The staff are very upbeat and friendly, and a hotel is a great value for the price and location.
There was a couple checking in right behind me with their dog and as I walked off to my room I noticed the front desk clerk offer them a treat for the dog. I thought it was a nice touch. Not very many hotels would do that and traveling with pets or service animals isn't always easy.

Room Tip: Not really a room tip, but be sure to top off your tank before you leave Ft. Stockton as there isn...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear KipF,

On behalf of the staff and I here at the CWS Fort Stockton we want to thank you for taking time to write a heartfelt and kind review.

In today's hospitality world its seldom to see someone take time to write a positive review, in particular one such as enlightening as yours and for that we thank you!

The statf and I pride ourselves in assuring we extend our courteous professionalism to each and every guest that walks thru our front doors.

We want to make certain you, your family and your four legged cousin have a memorable and enjoyable experience here at the CWS Fort Stockton.

"Mi casa es su casa" to reiterate thank you again and we hope to see you on your way back.

Happy Travels!

Paul A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Candlewood Suites is the perfect overnight break when driving on I-10. The the rooms are clean and come with a furnished kitchenette, including a dishwasher and full sized fridge. The front desk also loans out free dvds with current movies. Overall, an unexpected surprise.

• Stayed March 2013
Paul A, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Auslaf,

On behalf of the Candlewood Suites and its staff, we wish to thank you for the opporturnity to have catered to you as a customer!

We thank you for your business and great comments.
Hope to see you in the near future!

Regards,

Elizabeth Fabre
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was not up for the 5 hour drive to Austin where a room at the Omni hotel was waiting for me. I had already been driving from Carlsbad, and decided to call it the day. I went to McDonalds (they have Wifi), to compare hotels. Having a fantastic experience at the Carlsbad Caverns, I could not possible believe the day could become better. I was right, Candlewood Suites in Fort Stockton brought me right down again. I scanned all the hotels. When it is just chain hotels present I usually go for Holliday inn Express. But some people here at tripadvisor were unhappy with the hotel in this town. Not fixing the washer for many months is bad management. I do agree on that. I also was planning to wash a pair of pants. Next on the list is usually comfort inn. Slow internet connection don't cut it for me. Also, a king size bed room was hard to find. But at Candelwood they had one. So I made a reservation.

I drove over there in five minutes. When I got there to collect the key I was told that I had made a reservation for a handicap room. I could not understand this, but was again told that this what I had done, and they had no ordinary king size bed rooms left. Luckily I had my confirmation on my Ipad and it did confirmed my suspicion. I did in fact not order a handicap room. I then ask for proof for her claims. Then the mood changed fast. It was clear that she could not come up with that. As a note here, I have a 23 year old daughter who has CP, and I know what a handicap room looks like. It was not that I probably could have a good nights sleep in that room. Heck, a few days before I slept in a tent in Big Bend National Park, with snakes, scorpions, bears, mountain lions and drug smugglers lurking around, and still slept like a baby. But there I payed fourteen dollars and got what I ordered. This time I did not.

I asked if they had an upgrade. They did not (those kind of rooms did not exist there. Fair enough). But then I asked to for a refund. They refused. They have sold me something they where not in possession of at the moment of time, and they were not willing to give me my money back. It was clear to me that this was a scam.

I was tolded several times. "With all due respect sir. This is a king sized bed room. Just what we sold you", as they would think I would buy that. Take a look at other reviews here. They have pushed smokers rooms on others. This is not the first time they are doing this scam. They sell a normal non-smokers king sized bed room, and tell you they don't got it when you show up. This time they tried to push a handicap room on me. Their dirty little secret, is just that. They sell you a room they don't have, and refuse to give you a refund when you show up. Again.... a scam. For those who can't see the problem with staying at a handicap room paying full price, I would suggest having a look at one at any hotel. I promise you, it is not the experience you want.

Ok, I wanted to call it the day and was willing to make a deal. In the end I was offered a "standard room" with no reduction in the price. A standard room is a room with two narrow beds. Not the king sized bed I could spread my king size body in (I am tall, not fat) They won, they had my money, and there was nothing I could do about it. I realized that they could put a "no show" if I walked away and contacted laywers instead. To be clear; I said yes to that deal. We had made a deal, and for me it was the end of the story. But, I was going to write about this on tripadvisor. My mistake was that I mentioned tripadvisor earlier on (as a small talk subject). This is probably they cause of the next chapter here.

The room was clean and looked ok. There was just small things I could put my finger on. There was a light in the kitchen I could not turn of, the tv was to small (or to far away), it was hard to change channels, the internet was to slow. But still, not what I originally paid for. But again, I accepted a deal. There were nothing more wrong with this room than other rooms in this category. I had unpacked all my stuff, heated up some food, getting ready for the shower, and then getting ready to watch the game. But then I got called up by the general manager. Despite a lot of "sir" and "mr", he was rude as hell. I am sure he is going to reply to this review and tell how kindly he offered me to go to another hotel, and tell me "It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received". He was all worked up from the beginning, with the sole aim to get me. And guess what, he also told me: "With all due respect sir. The handicap room is a king sized bed room. And that is what you got". I said to him that I was not stupid, which he replied: "I am not trying to belittle you". Guess who are saying stuff like that. People that are trying to do just that, which I told him. He tried all the tricks in the book to convince me that I was wrong. I did not fall for any of them. Then he offered me to find me another hotel. I declined. I had used an hour on McDonalds (including eating a Angus burger with mushrooms meal) to check out all the hotels in the area. The room I did not get was the best deal I found. Should I now trust this untrustworthy manager to get me a good room. I don't think so, pall. And go through packing up all my stuff, drive to another hotel, and unpack again. No, I don't think so. But I am sure he is going to ramble along with formal language to explain how kindly they offered me to move to another hotel. Yeah, right. You should have listened to him. I wonder how many of those he got in him before he gets a heart attack.

So, it is up to you, if you believe me or him. Driving away from there I could not stop wondering how many they have pulled this trick on.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Paul A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Oslo Hiker,
Good afternoon, I want to begin by thanking you for your loyalty as a PCR Member and to introduce myself as the General Manager for the Candlewood Suites in Fort Stockton.
On behalf of the Candlewood Suites and staff, we want to thank you for allowing us to cater to your overnight accommodations this past February 2013. I have read your survey and please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay.
I understand that your room reservation was not honored and for that I apologize again. I'm certain my front desk agent made you aware of our culture, but with the influx of the Oil and Gas workers and the fact that we are only a 74 Extended Stay Suite Hotel Mr. Oslo Hiker, we frequently have our inhouse guest extend their stay at the last minute, this does not make it right, but it does exist. In their line of business, their company does not inform them of their extension until the day of.
This places the hotel in a predicament that will and has eventually affected our transient guest such as yourself. We have implemented additional solutions to avoid conflicts such as this but as your aware there not always 100 percent.
When we spoke, my goal was to educate and inform you of our culture, if my tone and manner of speaking was abrasive, I do apologize. Mr. Oslo Hiker, rest assured that displacing a guest is not normal practice for IHG and or my hotel, however when a guest is not happy with the only accommodations I can provide at the time of your arrival, then as a standard, we are to assure the guest is placed in a comparable hotel to meet your needs. Our goal is to assure you and your family have a pleasant and troublefree stay. I realize that you as a consumer have options when selecting a hotel for your hospitality needs and we failed to provide that to you.
Should you be traveling throughout the West Texas Region again, please allow us one more opportunity to host and service you. You may contact me personally to make that reservation at any of the numbers listed below.
Thank you again and we look foward in serving you.
Paul Amaya
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Hotel is pretty nice. The parking lot is slightly awkward if you are driving a 26 foot uhaul truck, but it should be fine for most. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Be prepared, if you have never been to ft stockton, there isn't a whole lot, so if you are passing through like me, you will be eating at either McDonalds or IHop. Once inside the rooms, they are spacious and comfortable. I prefer candlewood to a regular hotel because of this. It is a bit easier to relax. I don't utilize the kitchen area, but if you were so inclined it comes packed with all the utinsels that you would need to cook dinner.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Dirty glassware in the rooms, electronic door locks didn't work during my two
(2) night stay and I had to change rooms. The cable / satellite system didn't receive the CBS network, the desk clerk told me that their were issues with the system. Upon check-in I was asked to fill out a form with my email address and other info like who booked my reservation etc.... none of their business.

Room Tip: Book a room next door at the Hampton Inn.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paul A, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
BigSteveTx,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay with us at the hotel. I am sorry for any inconvenience you expierienced on your stay and hope you give us a chance to better your stay in the near future. Be assured that we will look into this matter and will it be discussed with the staff. We wish to thank you for all your valuable comments and feed back.

Elizabeth Fabre
Operations Manager
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in Candlewood before Christmas when we came home from our Colorado Ski trip. I booked on line for the room with two double beds for three of us. I received the confirmation for room with two beds and with a rate of $114 plus 21% tax total at $138.

When I arrived at the hotel at night after driving 12 hours, the clerk told me they did not have room with two beds. She told me 5 minutes before my on-line reservation came in they already sold out all the rooms with two beds. With no other choice, we could only take the room with one bed. My adult son had to sleep on the floor. (no roll-away either). I though all the reservations must use the same system. With the computer reservation the available room should be accurate down to the seconds. I noticed that several reviews in this site also mentioned the same problem as we experienced.

The hotel is pretty new and clean with hardwood floor, and tile in the kitchen area. Stove and full size refrigerator in the room... etc ..For breakfast, they provide oatmeal ( in the package) and fruits.

The hotel agreed to change my rate from 114 to $89 to compensate for not giving us the room with two beds. When I booked on line I noticed that the hotel charged tax at 21% rate while other hotels in the neighborhood charged only 13%. I asked the clerk why 21% rate. She said they only charge 13% and I checked my bill it was $89 plus 13%. But I did not understand why my reservation showed $114 plus 21%.(total $138). Before I write this review, I went to on-line booking again to check. They still charge 21%. Is this a program error? If I did not ask, will they bill me for the higher tax rate?
If you book this hotel, check your bill carefully on the tax rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Stockton, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Orien2010,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am sorry for any confusion about the tax rate. Kindly be assured that we will look into this matter and will definitely be discussed with the staff. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.