“Very Good Wines, But High Price Points” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: A local Austin winery venue; Solaro Estate expands above Barton Creek in harmony with the beauty of vineyards, racing Thoroughbreds and the spectacular vistas unique to the Texas Hill Country.In the Italian tradition, the Tasting Pavillion is integrated with the vineyard, encouraging the natural connection from the vine and grape to glass.
Houston, TX
15 attraction reviews
“Very Good Wines, But High Price Points”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I couldn't decide between 3 or 4 stars. These were honestly some of the best Texas wines I’ve ever tasted. But right off the bat, I had a couple of issues. First, there are no prices anywhere. I’d read some reviews before I went so I knew what they were hiding. Second, the first thing our server told us is that all of their wines are ”reserve” wines. That term has no real or legal meaning for Texas wine production (in fact it has no meaning in a lot of places). Many times it’s used as marketing tool to mark up the price of the wine. So I asked what reserve meant to them and our server fumbled around a bit with various reasons, none of which were valid. He finally got around to talking about the limited production, so OK fine. Third, they went on and on about the awards they’d won. They should be proud of that, but just leave the info out in the tasting room (which it was) but don’t go on and on about it during the tasting. It’s not going to factor into my tasting. I like what I like. We did like the fact that they focus on red wines and did many of them well. We decided we liked the Sangiovese, the Cab, and the Tempranillo the most. Of course they still had not disclosed the price. So I asked how much everything was and now I understood the issues that some of the other reviewers had. The Sangiovese was $54, the Cab was $38 (not too bad), and the Tempranillo was $42. We didn’t do the “super reserve” tasting which I assume only went up from here. And while I have no problem paying $50, $100 and up for a truly spectacular wine, I did think the price points were a bit high. I absolutely balked at the Sangiovese but my husband really liked it so we ended up getting all 3 of the wines we liked. But there are certainly many other wines I like a whole lot more for those price points.

Visited June 2013

Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Wines don't reflect the price - Prices are not listed - Ask First!!!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

It's a nice drive in Texas Hill Country to this winery. They have very little grapes on site and their wines come from grapes mostly from another property. It's basically a barn for the tasting, unfinished inside with room air conditioners stuck in walls to try to cool the place down.

They use a flat bed truck trailer for a stage and had one guy with a guitar for entertainment for those who don't mind drinking wine outside in the 90+ degree weather.

For a winery that wants to be hoity toity, they sell tastings and do not even have crackers to cleanse the pallet between wines. That's unacceptable for ANY winery. In addition, Solaro Estate Winery does not even list their prices, so be sure to ask.

In my opinion, Solaro Estate's mediocre wines are very expensive with the cheapest bottle costing $27 and it goes up steeply after that.

One round of tastings for two and two glasses of wine came to $48. Sorry, but this is only for people with more money than brains. I would not recommend this winery to anyone.

There are plenty other wineries around that have better wine at realistic prices that are posted or in a list made available to the public so customers can make an educated decision rather than be tricked or guilted into buying a bottle of overpriced wine direct from the producer.

Caveat Emptor Folks! Oh, and if you do decide to take part in a wine tasting be sure to bring your own bread or crackers to cleanse the pallet.

We won't be back.

Visited May 2013
Sydney
4 attraction reviews
“Overpriced and pretentious”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Not much to see or do. Wine is mid range quality at diamond prices.....not worth the drive. $72 for a bottle of average quality red because its won a domestic medal , come on, really!

Visited May 2013
Leander, Texas
30 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Grounds Average Wine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

A part of a day trip with friends, this was a beautiful setting, and if you time it right, you may hear the wonderful music of a local group or two playing live music which definitely is a great addition to the day. The wine was slightly above average, and rather overpriced but it was the of the wineries we stopped at at that day. I would recommend this is a destination, but not as a primary destination. It is a lovely part of a day trip though.

Visited March 2013
Chicago
36 attraction reviews
“Outstanding wine in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Tucked back into the hills off a winding country road, Solaro Estate is a true find. A small, boutique winery selling all their production at their tasting room, the wines are high quality. Primarily Italian varieties, the winemaker-owner has created a niche in the Texas wine industry.
Winning a number of ribbons at various shows, their future is bright.
Very friendly staff made our experience special.

Visited April 2013