“Not my style. Great service tho.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #87 of 329 Restaurants in Denton
Cuisines: Persian
Description: Located in Denton, Texas, International Food is a small, cozy restaurant owned and operated by a Persian family. International Food specializes in Mediterranean, Persian, Greek, and Middle Eastern Foods. The restaurant started out 14 years ago as an international grocery store with foods from almost every continent. Although they don't carry the variety they once did, they still carry a number of imported groceries including teas, herbs, mixes, desserts, orange blossom honey, premium kalamata olives, as well as several brands of basmati rice, olive oil, canned goods and feta cheese.
Denton, Tx.
“Not my style. Great service tho.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Wanted something different in Denton, as there are not that many really good places there, especially if you don't like smoke or want something not as 'mainstream'.
After reading reviews, we couldn't wait to try this place! We were pretty disappointed. I like different styles of food, but just not that impressed, especially for the price. Not terribly expensive, but a little more costly than what we expected for the meal.
Owners were great people, super nice. Inside was a little bland, not a lot of personality, but plenty of room.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, TX
“Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Oh my what a find! Little Mom & Pop place with the freshest middle eastern food I have ever eaten. I thought I had eaten Taboule before - but only now have I REALLY eaten Taboule! The gyro was tender and juicy. The Persian tea addictive. And the house made Baklava served warm - I woke up the next morning craving more! Friendliness and warmth of the owners showed that pride of ownership that you don't see much any more. We will be back, and back, and back. The kind of place that makes you want to be a regular - sort of like Norm.

• Visited March 2011
Friendswood, texas
“Spiced just right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

We were visiting Denton and wanted something different. Well....we found it! If you like Persian/Mediteranean food, you'll love this place. Everything was spiced just right -- not too heavy. Not busy, so easy to get served on a Friday night.

Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Persian and Greek Food in a Charming Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

A charming, small, storefront restaurant that is decorated with a mural, strings of lights and candles. The food was delicious. I can highly recommend the Chicken Biryani and Lamb Kababs. We also enjoyed the hummis and babi ghanosh for appetizers. We were the only customers the evening we visited so give this family run restaurant some love!

Denton
“My all-time favorite Middle-Eastern restaurant in the metroplex”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

I have known Hakima and Ali since they opened up many years ago. All diners at all restaurants everywhere should be greeted so warmly and treated with such hospitality. They along with their children Hormat and Hamed (forgive my misspelling) are truly wonderful people who if for no other reason deserve a slavishly adoring clientele. It started as a grocery store and gradually began serving dishes and sandwiches, finally getting to the point where there are only a few grocery items along one wall and the rest is a sweet, romantic little restaurant with an alluring decor. My wife and I always get baba ghanouj, hummus, falafel, tabouleh, and then whatever we want for entree. Of these the hummus is always good, but the star is the baba--slightly smoky, rich ground eggplant and tahini that just fills your mouth with gradually unfolding deliciousness. The tabouleh is fresh or it's not served. Crisp parsley and springy bulgar wheat with a light moist tang. The spanakopita is hand-made and better eaten in the restaurant than taken home where it gets a bit wilty. Try the soup, which I have only known as "Aush", especially on a cold day. It's a savory and thick with lentils and beans, topped with a dollop of yogurt.

Our favorite entrees are the Chicken Capri, Greek (beef) Moussaka (there's a veggie version, too), Bakhtiari Kebob, Chicken or Beef Souvlaki, all handmade with care and skill. I usually get extra tzatziki sauce, made fresh with yogurt and spices.

The only thing that would improve this restaurant would be a shawarma rotisserie. And moving next door to me. If you can find it (it's tucked away on Sunset, not far from Payless video and Papa John's), you will not be disappointed. Once you are welcomed by your hosts and taste their food, you too will become a regular.